_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Added foil fenders to my Kubelwagen
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hey everyone, I just added new foil fenders to my kubelwagen so that i can farkle them up when i have it overturned in my diorama. What I did basically was:
>scavenge some foil from an old wine bottle
>use a metal ruler to press it flat and smooth.
>cut the original plastic fenders off carefully, leaving a little fringe left hanging out so that i can mount the foil fenders to later.
>Taking the plastic pieces, i trace their shape onto the foil, cut them out and wrap them to the "template" to get the rough shape.
>Glue the foil fender to the overhanging remains of the plastic fender with CA.
>Do any last shaping or tweaking...then cut off any detail from the plastic that is not on the foil fender (ie lights, etc) and glue on.

What im left with is a somewhat identical fender which i can now bend, rip, tear, leave hanging, whatever the damage calls for. The seam (where plastic and foil meet) on the underside of the fender, since this Kubelwagen will be flipped over, will be covered up with some accumulated mud by sprinkling sifted dirt over thinned white glue.

Thinking about having the light on this fender hanging by a cable...is that realsitic? Did the lights typically do that if they get knocked off?

Anyways hope this may spark some interest with someone, or someone could give me some tips to do it better...
bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 01:24 AM UTC
Do you think I should do the back fenders as well?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
Mudguards, they are called mudguards...

Sorry, only kidding, but to answer your question, yes I would do the rear mudguards aswel. All your work on the front ones may be undone when the rear ones are obviously plastic. Looking good BTW, is that proper thick foil or the plastic coeted stuff that goes on most bottles these days? I have started using the foil from Tomato paste tubes.

Cheers
Henk
bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
MUDGUARDS of course! duh! :-)

Yea i agree with you, if the front "mudguards" arent the same width that probably wouldnt be realistic. The foil I used was from a winebottle, and i measured it against computer paper and its roughly the same width. I think i have some foil that is thicker though, just didnt think of using the thicker stuff at the time.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 04:38 AM UTC
Ian, its looking good buddy! I agree do the back fenders and dont worry I think the thickness is in scale. Cheers Kevin
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 04:30 PM UTC
Looking great Ian.

I think hanging the light by a cable would be accurate. I've seen enough accidents here in Saudi and quite often bits get knocked off but hang by cables.
I suppose its down to how much cable length is housed in the shell. Obviously a little length would pull right off with the impact, but if there's a fair bit, it might offer enough travel not to get torn off along with the light unit.

It would be a nice touch in addition to the foil mudguards.

Hey Ken....you can get garlic paste in metal tubes too....
Better get cooking ...Italian sounds a safe bet...for ingredients in tubes that is. Give the lady of the house a nice surprise. If I do it, my wife asks..."what do you want?" :-) :-)

Cheers
Peter
:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 05:10 PM UTC
The front looks good. I would do the back ones too.

Check out the site I posted in the first thread (sorry at work and don't have it marked). There are a ton of live shots of Kubels in all kinds of situations, you may get a live shot of a light hanging. Personally I would do it, creative license isn't to much a streatch on that.

If this kubel took a tumble on the front left don't forget to 'play through' the crash. I mean, walk through the crash and how the kubel got the damage and ask "What else is affected", would the shovel still be in tact, suspension, that little bumper bar in front etc....
bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice slodder, since ive posted, ive added rear fenders, wire hanging out of headlight post (cant find other headlight for the life of me) added brake cables underneith as well as pushrod type thing connected to the steering apparatus...dont know exactly what its called but i saw it in a picture. I will post pics as soon as i can.
 _GOTOTOP