Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Marine Memories?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 01:00 PM UTC
Calling all Jarheads past and present! What are some of your fondest memories of the Corps?

Just ONE of mine! A MSgt was giving a class to junior Marines when a 2nd LT fresh from Annapolis walked by. The 2nd LT said "cough" how about a salute MSGT" and the MSgt replied You can get your salute when you climb up my cheverons so I can see you sir!" I think we all about Sh&% ourselves! Except of course the MSgt! The 2nd Lt got about 3 steps away before we all burst into laughter and needless to say nothing ever happened to the MSgt or us!

God I miss it!!!!!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 03:49 PM UTC
ah yes those green officers who think the world of themselves once they have that one bar up their sleeves. Seen too many of those during my time.

Was not a marine but a combat engineer so i hope its ok to post here. My fondest memories has got to be during deployments where as an amphibious raft commander, i got the 'luck' of the draw and had to transport the heaviest vehicle in our division, the CET across a water obstacle. Trouble started when the beach terrain got shallower than previous times i was there and couldnt get close enough to unload the tank. I didnt think twice and instructed by section commanders to ram the raft as hard as we could as close to the shore as possible. Still further than in previous occasions. The tank commander floored the gas and rushed through to shore with half the tank flooded with water and eventually made it. Figured it was better than i get a telling off for beaching my raft in than holding up the mission. When i thought about it though, had that landing failed and the water was actually deeper, we could have lost some lives.

Just glad that never happened as it ended with all of us cheering as the tank landed on the shore and unplugging their drain plugs. My raft survived the ordeal with some minor bumps and scratches so it all worked out.
raysrdr
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hello,
As Marines we were always loooking for an opportunity to "SHOW-UP" other branches of the service or other nation's services. I was a grunt with 3/1, 83'-87'.
We(Lima Co. from 3/1) were sent to Canada to evaluate the Marine Corps future LAV's that were already in service w/ Prince Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry(6-wheeled version).
The Canadians had set-up a non-tacticle bivouac(spelling?)camp in the field. Every morning we had a Company PT and run(w/ flak-jackets and rifles) and returned to the area just as the Canadians started their breakfast. The camp had no showers(they were 12 miles away near some lake with water pumps and heaters to provide the hot water) so the Canadians would jump into thier LAV's and offer us grunts a ride.
But being Marines our CO had us "Saddle-Up" our packs, 782 gear, rifles and helmets and we humped those 12mi. to the showers as the Canadians drove their empty LAV's next to us. They could'nt beleive it!! Whenever they did something, we would always do it the Marine Corps way(old-school). We would lady and complian, but it made us prouder to be U.S. Marines.
After several weeks in the field we went on liberty to Banff, Jasper, Calgary and Victoria. We partied like animals. In one hotel we caused about $1,000 worth of damage(broken furniture, stolen pillows ect.). While in Victoria, one Marine literally climbed up a state building's wall several stories high and brought down the Canadian flag and it came w/ us back to Camp Pendleton.
Needless to say, the Canadians treated us good... but w/ a weary/cautious eye.
By the way, the Corps. did purchase these LAV's(the 8-wheeled version) and is in service today.
A long rant, but I WE earned it!
Semper Fi.
TedV
Visit this Community
Botswana
entire network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
That is a nice one! I `ve never served in your corps, but- worked different campains some years back as a volontairč..what we dont do for the money right?! I find it strange that co nevr can find their ways at new locations regarding NCOs or wors of mouth! Iām shure you aii had a good laugh!
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:52 PM UTC
The only encounter I ever had with the USMC was in a pub brawl in Gibraltar. The USS Iowa was in port and a US nuclear sub (The name of which escapes me). There was a rowing boat hanging from the ceiling in the pub (The Clipper) and each UK battalion resident in Gibraltar tried to get the most blokes into the boat as a competition. Anyway to cut a long story short a huge fight ensued while we bunging people into the boat. There must have been about 150-200 people in the pub. A mixture of British Army, RAF, RN, USN and USMC as it was a pub avoided by the locals and just used by the forces (quite sensibly). We being British Army were fighting everyone as were the USMC. Someone threw a huge clock at one of the marines, a huge black guy who was literally about 7ft tall. He swatted it away like a fly! At this point I decided it prudent to gather my section together and get the f**k out of there!!!! I spent the next hour doing E&E to get back to my barracks to prevent getting arrested! I hadn't signed out so climbed over the fence and denied any knowledge of the nights events :-) :-) :-) . I was very impressed with the USMC's bar fighting techniques. Do they teach jarheads at Paris Island to pull those huge metal plates off walls to hit people on the head with? Looked very effective! :-)
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was very impressed with the USMC's bar fighting techniques. Do they teach jarheads at Paris Island to pull those huge metal plates off walls to hit people on the head with? Looked very effective! :-)

Improvise, adapt, and overcome! I've seen nearly the same type of stuff on Okinawa! If it can even be slightly misconstrued as a weapon we'll use it! :-)
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hehehe...I like your style. A lot more sophisticated than our broken bottles and headbutts...Semper Fi!