_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
slow, man, slow
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:21 AM UTC
I have been having problems for the last few days downloading and entering the site. It is taking forever to load pages, in fact at times I could go and boil the jug and make a cuppa and come back to the computer just in time to read the page. Then lo and behold another long wait for the next page. Anyone else having these problems or is it just me.

Cliff
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
Cliff,
Are you on a dial-up connection or DSL? Forum and gallery pages seem to be taking a little longer (5 seconds or so) for me. The Latest Posts page is really slow because I think there are either so many posts lately or many users are accessing it (and other areas at the same time). I need to figure out how to "cache" certain areas of the site so that the database doesn't get too many requests.

Paul at Track-Link often reports his server getting hit by dastardly "DOS" attacks. It could also be that some fanatic is trying to pummel our server with this rather childish behaviour.

Hopefully not. Interland is a rather large company and will eventually track such individuals down and prosecute them.

Jim
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
Jim, I am on dial up. However when I first came on site the speed was excellent but just lately bad. After putting this post on earlier today I timed one at 2min 50 sec and this was one of the faster ones.

Thanks Cliff
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:30 PM UTC
Jim,

I am on Cable, and I also have problems accessing certain pages
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 140 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 05:12 PM UTC
Jim, do you want to take a crack at adding the DoS attack protection script I wrote and see if it helps things out? Get on our webmaster's site and I'll help you out.

Paul.
 _GOTOTOP