_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
PE Bending Tools from Ausfwerks
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC
I ran across a review of Ausfwerks tools at Cybermodeller online
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/tools/ausf/tool_ausf_16-01.shtml for a tool called the Bendicator. It's designed to replicate bends for grabhandles, which was intriguing by itself, so I also browsed around the manufacturer site and found an additional tool called the "Fender Bender" http://ausfwerks.com//store/ausfdesign/1604/T.html .

I have an Etch-mate which I use along with the old stand bys of several flat nose pliers and the razor blade approach and am curious if anyone has seen anything else like this out there or used a similar approach/tool for PE bending? It looks like it's got the reversible plate type characteristic like the Etch-mate to be able to take both large and small pieces of PE as well as perform compound bends.

The little Techniques tutorial that goes with it makes it look pretty simple/straightforward to use. They are taking "pre-orders" and before I put down a deposit, thought I would seek some advice from the tools "pros" here.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:40 AM UTC
One guy at our local IPMS meeting gave a demo on something like the Bendicator. It looked the same as that, but a darker gray. Basically he showed it was an interesting gadget, but really not worth the money if you're used to doing it yourself with pliers and such. I don't know about the other thing.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi Guys!
The boys from Ausfwerks were at this years AMPS 2006 Convention up North here, and I had the pleasure of talking with them (Thanks to Jeff aka "AngryEnsign" Herne introducing me...) and I will tell you what...the Bendicator, good tool, quite useful, and belongs in every serious modelers toolbox...the Fender Bender, PHENOMINAL tool, mates, what a piece of precision brilliance this little gem is...ya gotta really see this tool in person, to really appreciate the complete beauty of the thing...do yourself a favor, Bro, pre-order one, and if you're a shipbuilder especially, this tool will be a DREAM !
~Gunny
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
Having used one of the big two for years, I really wouldn't take this one too seriously. It looks like merely an attempt to come up with a different way of doing it. If you're serious about PE, then get a hold'n'fold or an etchmate, you won't be sorry. Also, I'd urge ANYBODY to think very carefully indeed before parting with cash up front in this manner. If they're confident they have a good product and they're an honest firm, why ask for $20 up front?

Vinnie
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ya gotta really see this tool in person, to really appreciate the complete beauty of the thing...do

I don't need 'pretty'. I need something that does the job. Since it's not even available yet and you obviously have never used it...

Until someone does something REALLY dramatically different, i'm with my Hold 'n Fold - advertising notwithstanding...Jim
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having used one of the big two for years, I really wouldn't take this one too seriously. It looks like merely an attempt to come up with a different way of doing it. If you're serious about PE, then get a hold'n'fold or an etchmate, you won't be sorry.

Vinnie

You wouldn't take this too seriously? Did you say the same thing about the Etch-mate or the Hold-N-Fold when they were released?? Good grief man...

I like this tool. It's a miniature finger-break, plain and simple. In fact, this design predates both of the "big two" by nearly 200 years, yes, 200 years.

The advantage of this tool over the others is the consistency of the bend. If you're using the longer razors on the other tools and anything heavier than .005 brass, the blade flexes as you bend parts. From a safety standpoint, it also eliminates razor blades laying around.

This tool is blind hinged and will be bend heavy stock consistently. True, it's not the best tool for folding photoetched 1/35 stowage racks, but that's not what it's designed for.

Instead of sloughing off a new tool simply because you don't think it's worth it doesn't mean it won't suit the needs of other modelers, like say, someone who scratchbuilds ships and needs to manipulate long runs of brass stock into compound shapes...

But no one here does that now, do they?

The ANGRY Ensign.
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
Oh...and the reason they're taking deposits up front, is that they're fronting the production costs themselves.

I personally know both of these guys, I have no vested interest in their company whatsoever. Nothing like taking a couple of guys trying to improve the hobby and kicking them in the proverbial groin.

Nice bunch.

T.A.E.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:42 PM UTC
Thankyou Jeff. A measured response. :-) :-) :-)
Oh..... and I prefer toast.
Vinnie
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC
Got a hold n fold, and I love it...
but this is a different concept in metal bending...I have years of full scale sheetmetal experience, and this new tool from Ausfwerks is a miniature finger brake, and a very good one at that...Trust me, I will still use my Hold n Fold, but the Fender Bender has a feature, especially for shipbuilders who bend tons of railings at a specific angle of degree repeatedly, that will make the job not a job anymore....so to say that it's an attempt at doing the same thing differently you're most definitely correct...but the catch is, differently.
~Gunny
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC
No Jeff. NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING against someone trying a different approach - good luck to them. The fact that you've USED it (and you like it) does, in my book, count for something.

What I took exception to, was the previous poster's eulogies toa product he quite obviously HADN'T used 'in the field' (as it were).

I hope they do well with it, perhaps thay HAVE improved on some of the concepts of the other TWO tools and I really hope that it's successful...

If you have one yourself, the site would welcome a review....
Ibleedsteel
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:49 PM UTC
My oh my, such strife over my little Brass Fabricator.

I appreciate the comments from those that have seen it.

Jeff Matthes and myself are a small startup company. We currently have 75 units in production that are bought and paid for. However, we need to be careful with what we do with our funds, being new and not wanting to go into debt. So we are asking for the deposit to show the seriousness of the buyer, nothing more. We won't get very far in business if we are trying to rip off people for a measly $20.

As far as what the tool does, well, the reviewers will let you know and I will let my designs fall and rise on the merits of what others think and can do with it. Also, finding new ways of doing things is why the human race for the most part does not still live in caves. A cave does the job, but I sure have become acustomed to heat and running water.

Thanks fellas, more to come for sure.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you have one yourself, the site would welcome a review....

Mine's in the mail right now, mate!
~Mark
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I took exception to, was the previous poster's eulogies toa product

Hmmm. I thought a eulogy was a tribute to something past...

Quoted Text

What I took exception to, was the previous poster's eulogies toa product he quite obviously HADN'T used 'in the field' (as it were).

And if you had taken some time before adding this assumption, you would have learned that I have indeed used the product, but in a full size manner...same type of tool, Oh grass hopper, only much smaller...same versatility, same results,,,
And coming from a metal worker, this does mean something to those who do know what I'm talking about...end of story.

And that is all for my rant, mates!

Mark
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
It looks like it has it's advantages in alot of Repetive bends hight angled bends..... I have a Homemade one i use for doing minor Sheetmetal work..... wouldn't be that hard to adapt and it makes Sense....

I had been thinking about making my own version but haven't had the time...... Maybe some of the summer Will free up and I'll be able too.....

I've had my Razor slip a couple of times ruining a piece of PE........ this is a nice idea to solve that issue......
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

same type of tool, only much smaller...same versatility, same results

So you HAVEN'T used it. That's what I thought -thanks for confiming this with words such as 'Same'..

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
I WILL start deleting Posts if this doesn't calm down.

Having seen it myself...... It does have some advantages..... As stated in my Previous post....

Yes it is (another) different way of bending PE...

I also still bend some with plires even though I have my homemade version of a H&F / EM bender...........

How can you critisize something you haven't even seen in action?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like it has it's advantages in alot of Repetive bends hight angled bends..... I have a Homemade one i use for doing minor Sheetmetal work..... wouldn't be that hard to adapt and it makes Sense....

I had been thinking about making my own version but haven't had the time...... Maybe some of the summer Will free up and I'll be able too.....

I've had my Razor slip a couple of times ruining a piece of PE........ this is a nice idea to solve that issue......

Aha, Mr. Leese,
Finally some words of wisdom...you're absolutely correct, in all aspects...

And Jim, No I have not actually bent a piece of PE with the tool, but I did personally see the tool, study it's make-up, and realize (only because I am an experienced sheetmetal worker) just exactly what this tool will be able to do...
~Mark
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
I appreciate the inputs/comments...I'm not an engineer by any stretch and have an Etch Mate that I've used in addition to a whole wall set of flat-nosed pliers, tweezers, etc. to bend PE. Anytime I decide to work with PE I have to psych myself up because it's time intensive and hard to get consistent results, even with the Etch Mate, so if this tool can make that process smoother/easier for the price, that's a good thing IMHO. Based on what the sheet metal guys are saying, it sounds like a worthwhile addition to the [auto-censored]nal, especially with the builds I've got planned using the DML Pz IV kits and various Voyager KV-1 sets laying around. Hearing that many got a chance to see it in person at AMPS as a working tool is a big plus.

wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 06:21 AM UTC
Having looked at the illustrations and contacted the Ausfwerks guys on the materials used (stainless steel, brushed aluminum, turned brass tension screws), I'd say it's a quality built machine. Quality has a price, but it's really not all that expensive vs. the other tools out there. Definitely not something you'd buy only to have it sit on the shelf though, unless you want to impress the neighbors at random intervals. :-)
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 02:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having looked at the illustrations and contacted the Ausfwerks guys on the materials used (stainless steel, brushed aluminum, turned brass tension screws), I'd say it's a quality built machine. Quality has a price, but it's really not all that expensive vs. the other tools out there. Definitely not something you'd buy only to have it sit on the shelf though, unless you want to impress the neighbors at random intervals. :-)

It's definitely a quality built machine, Gents...you can tell a tools quality sometimes just by the feel of it, know what I mean? When you use precision tools daily in your workplace, you learn the ability to make this kind of a judgement call... Like I said earlier, I've had the chance to examine (BUT unfortunately not to use, Jim)this tool, and there is something here. I am also going to submit a full examination review very soon (my pre-production sample is in the mail).
~Gunny
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
Well,

If it's any consolation to the group... I tested this tool at AMPS. I took a piece of .010 brass about 3 inches long, ran it into the brake about 1/8", and made a perfectly consistent fold across the piece of brass.

This is where the unit has advantages over the others. Trying to get a 1/8" bend at a consistent angle using a Hold-n-Fold or Etchmate is problematic because there's either not enough stock being held in place, or the bend itself is too short for the razor blades.

It won't replace the Hold-n-Fold or the Etchmate. But it will do something they can't.

Jeff
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:39 AM UTC
Sorry Gents but I have to reply here, to CORRECT statments only..

First I will make NO comment on the new tool....not my place.however I have seen it tried it at AMPS...

I will comment if I may on a point from the above posts.

The ability to make these "long folds"..."standard angle" and "heavy stock" folds that are being shouted about is already with the Hold & Fold and other well made folding tools.

Use the outside edge of the tool and a hard surface to roll over on (holding the tool in your hands)....err....the train guys have been doing their "sole-bars" this way for ages....and if you wish to see heavey brass try "O" guage chassis stock !!!..1 x 1 x 1mm channel fold...and about 12 inches long easy !! !....so PLEASE do NOT say these tools cannot do the job people.....please learn to use your tool before saying it cannot do it.

PS
Who else gave me the money then ....wish it was free...

Sorry to butt in...

Alasdair
The Small Shop EU

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
I'll agree with Ken.... the thicker the stock (and the longer it is) the more support you need Behind it when bending...............
 _GOTOTOP