Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Ever catch a duck?
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
Saw the strangest thing today. I was out fishing with my buddy today and he caught a duck with his fishing pole.
I kid you not. I missed how it all started but apparently a few ducks took off from the pond just was he was casting. The hook managed to get set in the one wing.

The duck then preceded to swim across and run around the small 50ft pond as we tried to figure out what to do. Also had to chase after the dang thing to keep it from getting tangled around the dock or the trees.

Now of course I wanted to simply eat it for supper but we ended up trying to set it free. So as my buddy tried to keep reeling it in to the edge of the water I was chasing it around trying to grab it and get the hook out. This didn’t go to well as the duck was very unhappy and has a sharp beak.
Finally it took off tried attacking my buddy. In the process it must have managed to get the hook ripped out because after that it flew off.

Now I’ve seen some strange things before but this was just crazy. I truly wish I would have had a video camera with me at the time.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
Sure would have been a funniest videos candidate :-)
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the laugh.

Reminds me of a story that happened last summer. We have bird sanctuary close to my house and they have giant geese. This one dude was pissing the one goose off, so another goose flanked him and bite him. It was great. Dude never saw it coming.

Good times
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
Let me guess--you went home and said "Honey, you should have seen the one that got away!" :-)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
lmao.. makes me think...

this summer while atving up north be saw a little duck in a tiny creek, so we stoped and my dad picked it up... lets jsut say my dog saw a nice poulet a loragne she wanted to eat.. cute thing....

Frank

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 12:54 AM UTC
This also reminds me of one time at a golf course. A family of geese had gotten separated, Mom and Dad on one side of a fence, the six babies on the other side. One of the guys I was golfing with tried to shoo the babies under a dip in the fence. Mom and Dad didn't care for that and they took turns body slamming their bodies into his chest and chased him clear across the course.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC
Ola Jacob

Well not really a duck I once had one of these on my line

I don't know the English word for it in Dutch it is called a Reiger. Years ago when I was an enthousiastic fisherman I roamed a lot along the waterside. Well once I was trying a new lure and casted completely wrong and it went into the reeds. Heared a really scary scream and saw one of these lovely birds taking off with the lure in his wing.
Not really knowing what I had to do I put my baitcaster on free and let the bird go his own way. When all the wire was nearly off the spool it just snapped at the plug and the whole wire came back in one huge knot.

I did not really fancy trying to lure a bird in with the size of a stork and then go into battle with the creature to release him from the plug. So I think it was better that way.... The sad thing was that I lost a brand new rappala lure which worked pretty well and costed me a lot of money.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 02:07 AM UTC
Actually the same thing happened to me when fishing. A duck crossed my line just after I cast if out and got his feet all tangled in the line. I had to reel in my line, cut the line and unwrap his feet.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
I think that's a Great Blue Heron Robert. A really impressive bird. They fly around here and hang out at ponds. When they stretch their wings out prior to taking off they can be pretty big birds.

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC
Yup, that pic is a heron.

I've had a few encounters with waterfowl during my many fishing excursions. The nastiest have been with cormorants (don't startle one up close -- it'll drop its "load" as it takes off and that load is about 6 inches wide, 6 feet long and smells like rotten fish!) and gulls snatching minnows out of the air as we tried to cast them. If you think that duck was tough, try reeling in a flying gull with an ultra-light spinning rig.

The absolute coolest birds to encounter while fishing are the bald eagles who hang out along the salmon spawning rivers in Alaska. Nothing like being waist-deep in a glacier-fed river when one of those big boys comes silently sailing over your head to snatch a big ol' salmon from the riffle with his awesome talons. Sometimes I'd put down my rod and just sit on the bank watching the eagles.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
Guess it isn’t as uncommon as we thought. Still find if funny.

I’ll admit those geese can be nasty one you surprise them. Did that myself a few weeks ago squire hunting in the swamp. Of course that’s how a got Easter dinner this year.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
A duck was about the only thing my brother ever caught in the short time he fished. Not something his mates let him forget