TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
King Kong
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC
I'm in the middle of watching the new King Kong movie on DVD.

OH MY GOD! WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!! This thing goes on and on and on.... I can't even think of words to describe how terrible this movie is. It's only about half over and I'm not even sure if I can finish watching it. The possibility that it might get worse scares me .... and strangely enough is also what keeps me watching.

Scott
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:44 AM UTC
I'm really really really not trying to be insulting or condescending here I'm just curious. HOw old are you? What is your education / background in?
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 05:36 PM UTC
I'm 39 and have a Masters Degree in History with an emphasis on Museum Studies. What's the point?

Scott
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:36 PM UTC
I saw it at the movies and loved it. Maybe it's one of those movies that really needs to be experienced on a big screen with a great sound system.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 02:48 AM UTC
Scott

I just expected that the comments were from someone much younger. I realize everyone has their opinions it's just that yours were so vehement. I grew up with the classic Universal "monster" movies frm the 30's Frankenstein, Wolfman and King Kong as well as Bogart, Cary Grant, etc etc. I saw the abomination of the 1976 remake of King Kong and marveled at this remake. I agree it was a little long but I thought it mirrored the original extremely well. The reason I asked the education was back in the 30's very little was known about Gorillas. They were thought to be rampaging beasts that delibertly attacked and killed (and possibly ate) humans. Of course recent studies have shown that this concept was totally false. I thought the movie brought out this realization quite well. It showed the curiousity and the fact that there was intelligent and not mere instinct in him. As I stated earlier I ws not trying to be insulting, I just thought you were much younger and hadn't had any exposure to movies other than the presnt day slasher / lawless crap that fills the screens nor having been exposed to the studies of Diane Fossey on Gorillas.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
There isnt many movies that would appeal to all so its no surprise that there would be people out there that totally hate it. In fact, i would be the first to admit that i was not a fan of the original King Kong movie.

The part i will never get is why people watch movies with the highest expectations and expect it all to be met? The chances are high that you would come out disappointed since perfect movies that satisfies all are few and far between.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:56 AM UTC
Steve, I concur, It's amazing that everyone here is into history - and as far as movie history and Harryhausen goes, King Kong [ the orig. ] was epic, it has lived since 1933 -2 and has a majority following.
I've never watched the 70's Beau Bridges offering completley through, because 20 mins. of it - culled anywhere from that film stunk.
As far as I'm concerned this arguement will be rehashed when 70 years from now they remake Jurassic Park !!!
Cheyenne - Nothing beats modeling and watching and or listening to the Si-Fi channel.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 05:49 PM UTC
Have to agree with Al. It was great on the big screen. Some movies are just spectacles, and have to be seen larger than life.

I watched Narnia a month or so ago on DVD and thought it was bugger-all, but one of my friends who has similar tastes in movies as I do, saw it in the cinema and thought it was ok.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OH MY GOD! WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!!

WholeHeartedly agree I got bored, Maybe it would of been better on the big screen i don't know if i could take my Sofa/Couch I probably would go a lot more :-)

redleg
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
But for all the special effects the re-telling of the Beauty and the Beast legend is a waste. Why oh why did Jackson go and muck it up with the girl falls for the ape thing.

Faye Ray's Ann Darrow had a revulsion to the ape and never had the PC affection of the 70's remake or this. Personally, I liked some parts and thought others were just boring.

Overall, not Jackson's best work.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
I didn't take it as the girl fallig for the ape / sexual thing as in the 70's horrible remake, more of a total acceptance thing. He after all was a great protector saving her from being Tyro lunch after she had escaped from him. I think she had affection for him at the end delighting in seeing his reaction to the ice and city stuff, much like Dianne Fossey did after being accepted into the ape family for real.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
I finally saw it on the small screen when it came to DVD, almost bought it but instead rented it and glad I did. While it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, seeing it once all the way through was enough for me. I too was bored as hell with it once they got on the island, it was more of an attempt to gross people out at that point with all the different bugs.

The character development parts the first hour were fine, was nice to see them built up a bit more but the island portion was where it lost me. Kong looked awesome, incredible CGI work there for sure and the NYC sequence was great too. Loved him facing down the planes at the end, pretty cool. Great sequences didn't save the overall movie for me though.