Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Building my own electric guitar
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:48 AM UTC
I'm ^READ TOPIC TITLE^, any tips on this? (don't tell me to just buy one I've already started and if I hadn't I still wouldn't listen to any of you)

And for those who want to know my guitar is a mix of a bunch of different guitars(electronics-wise but hey thats why custom handbuilt electric guitars are unique)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
Are you re-using the Body off an old one or creating a new body... If so be sure get Music instrument Grade Lumber......
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:33 AM UTC
Can anyone help me out here? I have no way of cutting out the other half of the guitar body other than a drill and drill bits?(DUH!) And can any of you electronics guy tell me what electronic I could possibally find
500K-ohm potentiometers in?

Because my electric guitar will have 2 humbuckers and according to Stewart-MacDonald humbucking a.k.a. humbucker pickups use 500K-ohm potentiometers as the single coil pickups use 250K-ohm potentiometers Any help is appreciated.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
Matt, I'm making my own and I just grabbed som wood and plotted it out and this is a low budget project so I'm glad my dad is a member on Ebay cuz I'll be gettin my 2 humbuckers and the neck for my electric guitar off of Ebay. Otherwise the neck and humbucker pickups would cost over $100 each individually.
And I'm not joking
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:45 AM UTC
Most today Would be Milled out on a CNC....... but a Router would work...... or worst case.... Drill bits & Chisels.........
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:41 AM UTC
Okay after building 2 of my own , a "Flying Vee" and a "Iceman"
( looks like an Explorer) all I can say is neck angle, neck angle, neck angle.... Make your bodies out of a tight grained wood, mahogany , maple or ash ( don't use oak doesn't finish worth a *&#@ and weighs a ton), buy your neck ( far too tough to get just right unless your really into it, think about how do you want this thing to play? fast? Strat profile...slow? Les Paul profile..)
I never did the wiring so I can't tell you about that, but get good componants cheap stuff will just let you down...and don't get a tremelo, one hit and you guitar is out of tune for the whole night,
ever wonder why so many strat players have back-ups on stage?
On a tight time line here so if you have any questions feel free to right me
cheers
Peter
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
The bridge is going to be a strat hardtail brdge and les paul/telecaster electronics so now I ask this anyone know were I can get a pickup toggle/selector switch cheap???
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
Guitars, you can never have to many.. I think I had 5 at one time, my fav... an Ibanez Joe Pass archtop, took off the flats, put on some round wounds and played Rockabilly... too much fun, man I miss that guitar.....another thing you might want to think about is what material is the fret board going to be? some like maple ( classic Strat, or Tele neck... man I had a '69 Tele at one time too really nice , amazing neck profile) or rosewoo (Les Paul or SG) you call
Regards
Pete
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:05 PM UTC
I'm just going to buy one of those necks that you can carve/cut out any shape you want on the headstock
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Necks/1/22-Fret_Blank-peghead_Guitar_Necks/Pictures.html#details

and which output jack do you think would be better.
This, http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Flush-mount_Output_Jack.html or this, http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Switchcraft_Output_Jacks.html

But as I mentioned earlier the neck will be bought off of Ebay
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:21 AM UTC
That'll give me something to run home from track practice for. And all I need is a necks and some strings
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:00 AM UTC
All the necks on ebay have way to high s/h and I don't want to have to route a truss rod channel.
Should I just go out and see if goodwill has any acoustic guitars and just use one of those necks? Or could I make a neck and have it be truss rod-less and not have a crappy neck?
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:06 AM UTC
A guy used a few truss rod-less necks in his electric and electric bass guitars.

http://members.lycos.nl/ajgp/models.html
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
Does anyone know the answer to my question???
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:39 AM UTC
Nope sorry Luke always used a truss rod neck.
But I gotta ask the question, unless the neck is made from a man made material you would have to use a truss rod as wood needs to be trued because it moves with moisture etc. man made materials like graphite ( remember Sternberger ? guitars, the guy made them from graphite thinking who needs wood I got pedals for sustain...)could be used but I believe ( its been a while since I was in the business) they where unpopular because of their accuracy and the guitars lacked character, all the things that wood brings to an instrument .
Regarding my comments about wood for bodies , I think what I meant to say was that each type of wood used has its own pros and cons, I love'em all. I once had a Les Paul Gold top for a summer ( a real live one with ceramic pickups and everything weighed a ton, one piece mahogany body I never was sure of the year 55 or 56?) Great guitar
Just my opinion but stay with a truss rod neck.
HTH
Pete
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:32 AM UTC
Your guitar is going to sound like crap. I dont think you understand the concept of of how perfect a guitar must be made to acheive a sound. Plus, why go to a modelling site for answers to building a GUITAR?
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A guy used a few truss rod-less necks in his electric and electric bass guitars.

http://members.lycos.nl/ajgp/models.html

hey tsunami. You missed something.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your guitar is going to sound like crap. I dont think you understand the concept of of how perfect a guitar must be made to acheive a sound. Plus, why go to a modelling site for answers to building a GUITAR?

Common Harrison, is it to hard to be nice with others?
Now i wouldn't wanna be blammed for having this topic locked up so nevermind what i think of the above... but this is the off topic forum...

Good luck on the project Luke, i had a B.C rich warlock with roland cube 30 amp... never got around to being any good but always loved the sound of a guitar.

Give it all you've got, and once you've finished play with it, have fun, build another one, and experiment

Take care,
Frank
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:54 AM UTC
Those are some very interesting shapes, I think you either love'em or hate'em, I've bookmarked the site, they are growing on me. I'm not familiar with the wood, very cool ...very cool indeed
Thanks for the heads up Luke
Pete
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:43 PM UTC
Try to use the best parts you can afford. A cheap acoustic neck may not work well on an electric guitar. Of course if this is just an experiment and you may build/tear apart and rebuilt ....different story.
There is a catalog store whose name is something like 'International Violin Co." (I'm at work now and don't have the information other than my feeble memory) anyway, they have various grades of guitar necks in various styles (strat etc) unfinished, for very reasonable prices. The grades are dependant on the grain patterns in the wood - curly maple/highly figured would be more expensive.
Actually, the catalog has various grades of guitar kits which in the long run may be cheaper to get and add your electronics to.
C.
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 03:44 AM UTC
I've decided to make my own neck from scratch with a truss rod
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:39 PM UTC
would the same headstock shape as a Squier by Fender acoustic guitar headstock work for a fast electric guitar neck
And which headstock style would be faster: Strat or LP?
Because the electric guitars the guys in the Punk rock/ska band Rancid all have LP style headstocks but the Squier by fender headstock is sort of similar to a LP's headstock.

And here are 2 more sites for you:

http://galileo.spaceports.com/~fishbake/index.html

http://www.projectguitar.com/