Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
My New Spray Booth
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Member Since: February 15, 2005
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
Since I finished my desk, I started building my paint booth. I admit, I'm still working on the design. The hardest part is trying to make it look smooth. But so far I'm pretty happy with the progress. And like my desk this thing is huge. I think the demensions are 3'6" wide, 2' deep and 2' tall. So here are a few pics. I plan on updating my progress as I go, maybe I'll turn this into a feature. :-)

thanks for looking, I'll keep everyone posted.

Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Member Since: June 29, 2004
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:58 AM UTC
Looking really good so far Jay.

The fan you are using, is it approved for clearing away flamable fumes?

I have to build me a spraybooth.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Member Since: January 23, 2003
entire network: 920 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:03 AM UTC

Asthetically, it looks really nice, but I have to echo what Jesper asked.

I'm not quite sure that a standard household box fan is the right method to use.

When making a spraybooth it's very important that you use a brushless motor.

A standard motor has the ability to spark and therefore you have a possibility of igniting any solvent based paints and thinners. Not a good combination, and defintely not good for the eyebrows.

I highly suggest you look into this before you put yourself at risk for a nasty accident.

Once you get the right type of fan in there, you will have a spraybooth that many will envy, that's for sure.

Good luck, and stay safe.

Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Member Since: February 28, 2002
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:03 PM UTC
I built mine using a Pair of 6" Muffin fans..... (Brushless) ( I've never had much luck usng Acrylics....) So it's built for Enamels........
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Member Since: November 20, 2002
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 05:17 PM UTC
Im thinking the fans from the overhead stove vents maybe your best solution
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Member Since: February 15, 2005
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
Yes, you are correct. I thought about that, but I paint almost solely in acrylics. Being that Tamiya acrylics are water-based I wasn't too concerned about a fire. I used to use some enamals, but I've pretty much strayed away from them. Ocasionally I will use Model Master Metalizer, but even that is uaually reserved for small parts. I have used apray cans like Testors Flat coat and gloss coat, but I have to admit, anyone using those should strickly do those outside. I prefer not to use flamable paints what so ever. The fumes irregardless are a little to strong for me. As an ex automotive painter I know the dangers of fumes and flammablity. When a motor starts and stops there is usually always a spark. I prefer to ground my motors to try to prevent this, sometimes it helps, other times it does not. My biggest concern was not a spark igniting fumes (I have to admit, it's rare), my biggest concern was the filter. If you use enamels, the paint collects on the filter. When enough paint collects, if conditions are right, this paint can self ignite. When I used to paint, we would use large industrial paint booths. We would change the filters daily and throw them away in garbage bags. Becuase of the paint dust and heat of a garbage bag, the filters would ignite. And left me tell you, once those babies start to burn, don't bother with a hose, just call the FIre Department. This is why I would'nt recommend using enamels in your home. Especially when the fumes and the dust collect in a booth. At the very least if a person is going to use enamels, don't spray them in a booth. Spray them on a desk top where there is nothing to collect the dust and fumes, and of course spray in small quantities. But I do appreciate everyone looking out for my best interest! I'll keep everyone posted.

Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Member Since: December 25, 2004
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC

Nice design and size (BIG)! Kinda like mine at 36-1/4" wide, 20-3/4" deep, and 30-1/2" tall.

Pics of my booth .

I used a rangehood, placed upside down (downdraft), encased in cabinet grade ply. I used furnace filters (cut to size) under the pegboard with a pegboard lazysusan. The upper cabinet is plexi allowing additional lighting with a floruo light attacted to the top inside of the cabinet. Everything is vented out of my house by dryer venting. It's made a HUGE difference!

I feel that you will be more than safe with a house's box fan if you are only using acrylics. With your background in auto painting, you know the deal. I'd still put some form of filter between the "subject being painted" and the fan's blades.....it'll keep all that a lot cleaner.

Gads!!!! Is that sawdust all over the floor of your house?!?!


Mike (++) (++)