Gotta Love Track-Link
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:11 AM UTC
Allright, this is a rant.

Check this out. I reply with constructive criticism to an "on Display" type model at Track-Link. Paul Owen, the mod that we all know and love, doesn't like my post that I replied to his last with. It is now deleted and I am locked out from T-L and can't reply or post anymore. I know I should have stayed away from his amateur site.

T-L thread. Doesn't work. Guess Paul doesn't let you link to T-L either.

Try this in your browser: www.track-link.net/forum/site_gallery/13405

My post that was deleted basically said I was relaxed and still stood by my previous statements and then gave a little shot to Paul about upsetting his happy little world at T-L.

Then I just gave the standard expected post there. Something along the lines of, "Great Model, looks awesome, the best Abrams I have ever seen."

Guess that pissed him off.

Oh well.

Best bet is just to stay away from him and his petty site.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
I think we reached that conclusion some time ago..
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we reached that conclusion some time ago..

Yup, guess I am a hard-head sometimes.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC
I just checked the thread you're talking about and I don't really see anything wrong with what you said. But I would like to point out that not all people have the same level of maturity..so not all people will accept criticism with the same open-mindedness. You will always run into someone who will take it like it's an insult or something!! That's why a lot of times I see badly built and painted models, but I prefer not to post my opinion. Anyway, don't let those guys bother you. If he doesn't want to learn what his mistakes were, then it's his loss.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Gino, and anybody else reading this, as we know there is a difference between constructive review and 'blowing the sun' up peoples ass.. You most off all know that. Those posting their work for both appraissel and constructive comments can live with either, it's only those who think they are perfect that don't like honoust critisiseum....

Stay over here Gino.. you know it makes sense....

Lucky
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
Seems to me you told him what was wrong with it and how he could fix it in a very helpful manner. What's wrong with that?
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 05:20 AM UTC
1st I would like to say that I don’t go to track-link. Every time I hear something about the site its about something negative.
But I did check out your post and remember seeing it here as well and don’t see anything worng with what you said.

I also really got a kick out of some of your comments

But I will point out that down the post some he appears to point out that its being made for someone else as a gift and I believe this is probably the way the receiver wanted it built. At least a really hop that what he was saying.
Still don’t see why the mod there would want to delete posts from it

Any way you all have permission to give criticism like that to me and just let those who can’t take it simply never progress in there skills.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 05:29 AM UTC
You're aware of problems I had with an individual on M-L which caused me to stop posting for quite some time. I've recently started again as it's not fair to modelers who might need help and aren't getting a response, just because one person in particular was an ass. I'm sure I wouldn't be missed there though.

markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hey, we all remember the password issue that popped up awhile back. This just carries on with his normal form of only allowing things that he wants. I have looked through the forums over there before and have pretty much not been impressed with what he allows to be posted. At least here you can expect honest comments from people.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But I will point out that down the post some he appears to point out that its being made for someone else as a gift and I believe this is probably the way the receiver wanted it built. At least a really hop that what he was saying.

I can see painting it to the specs for someone else, and to get some more subtle things wrong, such as the height of the periscope which was, according to Gino, an error on Dragon's part, and to miss the color of the hubs, but to have the smoke dischargers at two differnt angles and to leave off major parts? That's just sloppiness.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Best bet is just to stay away from him and his petty site.

You said it all right there Gino. In the past "Mr." Owen has claimed his site is moderation free, ie. posts aren't deleted people are allowed to say what they like, but that's only in his own tiny world. In reality he only allows what he wants. During the password flap I too was blocked after a couple of my posts were deleted. Darn!! I was so disappointed!!

Cheers,
Mike
garyj36
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:35 AM UTC
I got the same smoke discharger bit from Gino once. I popped it off and reglued it. *shrug* No counceling needed or anything
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 06:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the support and I agree with all. I will stay over here and maybe just look there from time to time at the models posted. I won't post there any more, even if I am unlocked and could. :-) :-)
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:30 AM UTC
Gino,
I feel your pain, dude. As a matter of fact, I've been chastised on this very site for an opinion I offered regarding a subject I felt very strongly about. An individual had posted a few pics that to me resembled something an eight-year old would build. But, I kept my tongue, giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, and merely asked one simple question. For that, the guy offered back a smart-a## reply, followed by his minions extolling all his virtues and basically telling me to get off ... like I had no business questioning the pope. Well, I'm like you .... if you offer an image, be prepared for constructive criticism or, at the very least, a hint or two to help you improve. Apparently, even this site has it's fair share of smoke-blowers ....

Mike Kirchoff
garyj36
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
Im actually guilty of a little smoke blowing. Just to keep a guys enthusiasm level up. But then only if the post has minimal activity
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC
Gary,
What part of Okie-nation are you living, dude?

Mike
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:00 AM UTC
Gino, While I see what you are saying, and I agree the builder was sloppy. I don't think airing the issue here is appropriate. If you have an issue with Mr. Owen, you should deal with Mr. Owen - if you want, If not then just let it slide away. Posting here just created animosity between sites, which in the end is not good for anyone.

Just my 0.02 cents (Adjusted for inflation)
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:22 AM UTC
Ya know, I get the sense that everyone thinks I'm the bad guy here, and maybe rightly so .... But I was not the one who started with the insults. If you go back an re-read the entire issue, I asked the same questions a couple of times and apparently they struck a nerve with whoever, and this person responded with "Drumhumper, gee ... " Where I come from that comment would be considered uncalled for and entirely juvenile. Now I did not insult his work (until provoked, and even then I just stated what I thought of it), nor did I insult him. That comment simply justified his maturity level, IMHO.

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Apparently, even this site has it's fair share of smoke-blowers ....

I just look at folks' pictures, admire it or critique it to myself and be on my way. Too much animosity when critiquing someone's build and I'm not the type to pump sunshine up someone's backside.

I will admit that this site is more receptive to criticism than other sites I visit. But, in the end, any pointers given and received gracefully are just a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of negativity that is generated.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 01:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and this person responded with "Drumhumper, gee ... " Where I come from that comment would be considered uncalled for and entirely juvenile.

I read this thread also (I could read between the lines as to which you were referring to;) and think that once anyone gets on the defensive about anything, things are then posted which just inflame any 'situation' ... Hard to reach any compromise without being face to face.
As for the above comment, it could be taken as deliberate, but (this is a pet peeve of mine, but I will not correct anyone on it) maybe he missed the 't'... ???Sooo many typos in peoples posts, (and hanging myself out here for my own criticism) but I can't type, and as a result look at each key I press so therefore I'd say I'm fairly accurate...Many others could churn out a post, without even looking at the keyboard, therefore inducing some errors as they may have hit a bum key or missed one entirely...
May be that I'm waaay off the mark here, but hey, were all friends here, helping one another...
Cheers
Brad
P.S. I think your initial post was relevant, but as I stated without being face to face it's hard to know how things are meant sometimes... Ambiguity can reign supreme..
Sorry for the 'jacking, Gino...
simonrw
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Well, looking at that Abrams, all I can say is, it's a nice camo job, even though I've never actually seen a US military vehicle in those colours . And even a ham-fisted bodger like myself would know that there's supposed to be a bustle rack there. :-) . Shouldn't there also be markings of some sort on the tank? Even something to stop crews getting mixed up as to which tank is which.....
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya know, I get the sense that everyone thinks I'm the bad guy here...

No, I wouldn't think that. This is a model building forum for people who want to build better models. If they can't take criticism they should take up stamp collecting.
One of the things I learned during my stint as a teacher (when I WAS the bad guy) was that whenever you offer criticism, or a negative comment, it should be prefaced by a postive, no matter how deep you have to dig. I taught a special class called Behavior Improvement Class for emotionally disturbed kids. Yesterday my wife informed me you can no longer say that-they're "behaviorally different" now. I'll save that rant for another day.
Needless to say, I called parents for conferences all the time, or had to hold periodic state mandated ARD's.
If we could get a parent to show up, I ALWAYS started with a positive comment, no matter how "bahaviorally different" the kid was. Instead of saying "Marcus never shuts his @&$*ing mouth," I said things like "You know, Marcus is very sociable. I just wish he would..."
Other than 9/11, this is one of the reasons I came back to what I do now. Plus I'm less likely to have to kill someone.
Criticism, no matter how much we want to believe we've built the perfect model, only helps, if you're open minded enough to accept it.
If I offend anyone by saying "That tie down rope is big enough to fast rope on," or similar, I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I have other means of ding that. Because I AM the bad guy.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 03:55 AM UTC
Wow. Paul Owen is really whacked. Just got a couple nasty emails telling me I am a troll and he was going to press charges if I continued to screw with his site. What is this guy smoking???
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow. Paul Owen is really whacked. Just got a couple nasty emails telling me I am a troll and he was going to press charges if I continued to screw with his site. What is this guy smoking???

Well lets see. Is the troll the one who offers honest criticism and constructive comments or the one who hacks a site with anothers password and raises hell? I guess in his world anyone who offers comments is a troll.

Must be crack :-)
 _GOTOTOP