_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tips?
illusion
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:40 PM UTC
I am wondering if anyone here knows of any good sites that deal specifically with painting with brushes, techniques and whatnot. It would also be nice if anyone could post some of their own tips. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

~illusion~
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 08:54 PM UTC
Illusion,

Welcome onboard Armorama !

Stop looking.... all the experts meet on this site I guess... :-)

If you could specify your questions, we will be glad to try to answer them... Looking through previous posts also could help you. Just use the "Search Forums" feature.

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 06:42 AM UTC
Welcome to the site ....As for painting with a brush I can't help you much ...(I pull out my airbrush for the tiniest pieces now ) but if there is anything else ...Just ask away ...You have found the nicest bunch of guys on the net here ....They make you feel right at home!!

Rick
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi illusion,
Welcome aboard ! You'll find a wealth of information right here at this site. If you can't find it, just ask and yee shall receive....
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi illusion, maybe you would like to try this out: http://hem.bredband.net/thomaskolb/art/models/paint_e.htm
Oh and btw welcome to Armorama!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
welcome to the site, as far as brushing on the paint, be gentle with your technique and try and avoid runs, but as you'll soon discover most paints are now being made prethinned for an airbrsh and will take SEVERAL coats of paint to get an even finish, and the you could have other problems with the finish as well i say go to the site listed above its pretty good. happy modeling stug
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 02:36 PM UTC
Welcome on board illusion

I can`t say anything that is not mentioned above.
You`re at the right place for any question about modelling

illusion
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 02:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I think my main problem is that i sometimes get streaks in the paint.
I am wondering if there is a way to weather and whatnot with brushes.
I wish i didn't have to worry about brushing but i can't afford an airbrush at the moment nor do i see being able to in the future, its just too much money.
Anyway, thanks

~illusion
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
entire network: 1,638 Posts
KitMaker Network: 825 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 03:43 PM UTC
ILLUSION
WELCOME ONBOARD ARMORAMA.

ROBERTO
BRAZIL
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:35 PM UTC
ok, good question again!!!!!! the best way to avoid the streaks is a level coat of paint, and with brushing that means longer wet time to level out the coat. easily fixed add a few drops of thinner to the paint also some companies have a additive for paint to level out the finish. i'll do some research of the products and post again. stug
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:51 PM UTC
I have found that cheap brushes tend to leave more paint lines in my many years of painting. This doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive brushes, but beware that stiff brushes tend to be more "streak-prone" on smooth surfaces... they are fine for plaster, but for something like Styrene or Resin, I prefer to use a really nice soft nylon brush, or red sable.... I buy "in bulk" whenever I see a sale (I easily have over 300 brushes in various sizes and condition!). Generally, as the tip gets less sharp, I move the brush into another can... I have

"Newest/Pristine Condition" - saved for my finest detail work
"Generally Acceptible" - good for larger areas that need less detail
"Scratch Brush" - best for applying things like a wash, where little definition is required
"Use & Trash" - I keep these for applying glue or plaster one time, then discard.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 05:07 PM UTC
Welcome aboard!!
Everyone has said what I was going to say. But feel free to ask questions about any thing, if one of us cant answer it, someone else will.
illusion
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 04:24 PM UTC
I am overwhelmed with all the help!
Yea i guess i need to invest in a set of decent brushes, i am using some crappy plastic brushes that i have been using forever.
I am working on a Tamiya M2 Bradley right now i am trying to set up a little diorama with it, for Christmas i got an AFV club M10, and an Italeri Paladin.
I can't wait to get started on the M10 because it looks so cool :-) , the cannon recoils, the suspension works, i think i will get the working track set for it.

~illusion
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 06:49 PM UTC
I use enamels most of the time (and some oils for figures). To keep the enamels wet a bit longer I use lineseed oils. Just add a drop or two to the enamel-mixture...... it stays wet longer and flows beautifully. With lineseed oils in enemals, the enamels start to behave like oils. The disadvantage is that you loos the matt look on matt enamels,they tend to get a bit glossy like oils. Use some matt varnish and that's solved too.

And the best tips came from Keith (KFMagee)....a good set of brushes is everything !!

Just my 2c.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:08 AM UTC
Welcome aboard! This site is by far the best site around.

As for the specific questions you asked KFMagee hit it dead on. Good brushes and thinned paint. I would also not try to cover in one coat. Take the time and go for more thin layers. The extra time it takes is well worth the wait.
I like Keiths Brush Quality scale and do something similar. I have a desk organizer with multiple bins and the brushes go in from right to left. New Quality brushes go in on the right and as they age and degrade they move one bin the left. Finally making thier way to the trash.
Definitely take extra time to clean your brushes with the appropriate cleaner (depends on the paint type).
Couple of paint tips. Clean the edge of the paint can/jar before returning the lid. It will keep a better seal and make the paint last longer. Some poeple store thier paint upside down. Keeps the pigment easier to stir. Definitely stir you paint with a toothpick before using it.

Lastly - Read, Read, Read - Go throught this site and read what's already here. The site has been here for a year and there is soooo much information here that it'll blow your mind!

Hope this helps. And remember the only bad question is the one you don't ask.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
Welcome Illusion.

I can't give you more advise then that these great have given you, but I just want to say welcome.

I noticed in your profile that you like school, so you are in to education, in that case you are in the right place, you will learn a lot here #:-)
illusion
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 06:37 PM UTC
I have another question for you all.
I have been doing a lot of reading on painting and i have noticed that some people use extremely exact percentages of paint when mixing, how do they get such exact mixtures?
Thanks again

~illusion
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
First off welcome to our zany world of modelling. as to you last question about exact percentages. The numbers you get are what loks the the eye of person to be the best match. Also some pants are known to be a mixture of this or that FS number. those are the two ways you'lll generallyget exact ratios from people. Just a note from an old tanker, once a vehicle leaves the Factory all bets are off as to exact coloring. this is due to everything from enviormental impact(mud,grease oil and any number of other items affecting color including the sun) to field painting where anything may get into the mix. I have always said when painting an AFV whether armour or softskin choose a photo and match your color to that photo. If you want even more help with painting I would rccomend doing a search on the forums. In over a year of existance alot has been covered.

Josh Weingarten
Aka shiryon
 _GOTOTOP