History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Beyond Band of Brothers
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
Wow..sounds like a perfect read for me. Ambrose (for me at least) always seems to oversimplify things in his books,or at least the ones I've read. One thing that always gets me is that thanks to the mini-series based on the book, everyone now thinks it was "easy company" that won the war, when in fact they were an about average unit. Same amount of medals, same amount of losses, same amount of combat time. You ca see this reflected in reenacting, shows, etc.. Most people joining reenacting units want to be 101st. In shows, anybody recall the "easy company special" Mail Call on the **Cough** History **Cough** Channel?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:14 AM UTC
I saw it at Borders Books the other day and it looked interesting. There was also another book right next to it, that I can't remember the name of, also about Winters. I guess now that he's really getting up there in years there is more attention about him.

I scored on Sunday. For my birthday my oldest daughter got me a couple of books. One was the novel Schindler's List, the other The Fighting First:The Untold Story of the Big Red One on D-Day. I found out later that her boyfriend recommended the second one because they had made a video game of it. Oh well, I think I'm going to like it anyway.

rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 540 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
I also read Maj. Winters book over the weekend, very easy read, what I wouldn't give to be able to meet him and talk over a cup of coffee.
Regards,
Robert