_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Dallas PLatoon...new thread
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 01:44 PM UTC
I just decided to open a new thread. The old one had gotten up to 9 pages ad 162 responses. A lot of info to wade through. Still don't have a date yet for the Scalefest, but those of you that are going to compete should be deep into your projects. if last year is an indication, competition won't be as fierce and we really need some new blood. Don't forget the Make -N - Take the 7th of May. Keith also wants to start a model club at the library in old PLano with first meeting on APril 29th.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:40 PM UTC
Doubt I'll be putting anything into the competition but I should be up for going to peruse and buy if nothing else.

I'm up for the club and make-n-take.
Jim
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:31 AM UTC
I've got something I've been working on for a while. I should be finishing up here in a couple of weeks. I dont think I'll be entering it though.........
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:58 PM UTC
The have a small area for those of us that don't want to compete, just show our work in public. I usually bring something I'm proud of and put it there.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:58 AM UTC
hi guys,

gettin over a bout with gastritis, sorry i haven't kept up

thanks for the new thread

reb
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
its all them "COOL BEANS" you've been eating. Don't you know , here in Texas they are supposed to be HOT !! :-) :-)
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to the Modeling Club meet and the Take & Make. It looks like I will have a Panther G ready for Scalefest; if I can keep down the number of screw ups and 'oopsies' I may even put it into competition. Or not, depending on how it goes.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 01:39 AM UTC
Jim

Some competition tips. #1 the most important is track. make sure it is perfect. It and the road wheels should be level (everything touching the ground) when you look at it sideways. Check it for straightness by looking at it head on from both the front and rear. If you are depicting sag make sure it is in the right area (at least rom a modeling standpoint) #2 Make sure no joining seams or glue marks show. Scape all those pieces that show molding marks / lines on them. Those 3 items alone cancel out 12 out of 20 models in the competition the next is good painting . That should put you in the medal hunt and then it boils down to all the little goodies and presentation as to placeing. And if you know all this already that's great if not the I am happy to have had the opportunity to pass on some useful info
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:45 PM UTC
Steve,
I really appreciate the tips. A lot of this I sort of knew, and having it stated concisely really helps bring it into focus. I will be paying more attention to these areas, and if I stop painting/weathering/fiddling with it before I overdo it, I should be good to go.
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
Scalefest is the contest out at Squadron, right?

Now that I'm finally in Texas, I can go!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:46 AM UTC
Actually, the few times I've gone it's been at the Mesquite Rodeo Center, but Squadron does do their Open House on the same day. Now that's something you don't want to miss.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
That is correct, it is the Noth Texas IPMS yearly and has regularly been held at the Mesquite Rodeo. The major sponsor is Squadron who puts up a lot of goodies for the folks. A lot of door prizes and goodie handouts (prints) and I believe they do the Make and Take or at least contribute to it. And yes they open the doors of their distribution center to the public. You come in they hand you a catalog, flyer and a SHOPPING CART. They usually have several show specials as well.
Jim
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:36 AM UTC
They do what??? And when is this?????
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:43 AM UTC
I went to the Squadron open house last year, not really intending to buy anything (HAH!) and so only spent about $50 because of the bargains I couldn't past up... like the then brand new Dragon Sd.Kfz 251 Ausf. C 3 in 1 for like $19. I must have wandered the aisles for a couple of hours, even looking at wingie-thingies and floatie-thingies.

Jim
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:53 AM UTC
When does this happen?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When does this happen?

20 May 06
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, the few times I've gone it's been at the Mesquite Rodeo Center, but Squadron does do their Open House on the same day. Now that's something you don't want to miss.

oh hell no,I ain't missing that! In fact, I may have to rent a truck for that weekend :-)
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:21 AM UTC
Matt, are you in the Dallas Psyops unit?
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, are you in the Dallas Psyops unit?

nope, 504th MI out of Fort Hood
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 03:14 AM UTC
My bad. I wasn't aware that were any airborne MI units in Texas .Just made the assumption you must have switched to Psyops.
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My bad. I wasn't aware that were any airborne MI units in Texas .Just made the assumption you must have switched to Psyops.

it's non-airborne MI. I was hurt in airborne school, so instead of going to a unit in the 82nd, I was sent to a leg unit to heal up
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:32 PM UTC
May 20 sounds about right. The Show is just that Saturday. Squadron is open both Saturday and Sunday. They also put out a ton of chips and cold cuts so while you fill out your order sheet, you can "chow down".. I went last year with the intent on buying 2 or three small items, I too was lucky to survive with around $50. I also met "Wildcard" there last year and recuited him. You'll find Keith Magee and me at his table so make sure you come by and meet with us. We'll get and give more details as time goes by.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC
If I get my Big A t-shirt in time (for upgrading to Gold) for the meet, I'll be wearing it. I'm still not listed as Gold and Jim's got enough on his plate with the site upgrades but hopefully he'll get them done and shirts out in time for the show!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 03:26 AM UTC
Well, as we have the dates 2 months in advance, everyone should have enough time to schedule other activities around it so they will be able to attend. It would be great to get more than 3 or 4 of us together at one time in one place. Will also try to get Andy (Rottenfuhrer) to come on up from Granbury and pry Ben (WIldcard) away from his video game. As the time draws near, we'll set up some kind of a plan / timeframe so everyone can meet each other. I would recommend going to the show before you hit Squadron as most of you guys get lost in the store and don't emerge for hours. :-) :-)
Jim
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 06:35 AM UTC
Has anyone come up with a patch idea for the club?
 _GOTOTOP