_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model companies and advertising..
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:47 AM UTC
I've been modeling for a while now, and I usally have the TV on while iam building. Mostly the History Channel, USA, TBS etc. Well I have only seen one commercial for models, and it was the Gundam Wing commercial. I was just wondering why dont the big model companies put on commercials??? Such as DML/Dragon, Verlinden, Academy, Tamiya etc. Or they could do one big commercial to promote the hobby not sales?

Mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
Gundam is the only one i've seen as well.

Matt
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:19 AM UTC
TV is a very expensive way to promote one's products.

A typical commercial costs between $100,000 and $300,000 to make. Air time (bought in blocks of 12 weeks) costs an additional $400,000 to $500,000.

Kinda makes for an expensive venture...though most do have a nice return for their investment.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 11:09 AM UTC
Look at the various modeling magazines. We pay $4-8 an issue. It is basically a cover-to-cover model ad. We are a niche market and if they advertised on TV it would just end up raising the price of our kits. Very rarely are we surprised with a new product. We generally await a new kit with baited breath. We are just lucky that the guys who do the R&D for the kits are builders themselves and generally let us know whats in the works months in advance of the scheduled release.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We are a niche market .

Yep. Nopw if we got every beer drinker to build plastic/resin/metal, three things would happen. First, every company would be advertisng everywhere,. Two, there'd be a lot more selection. Three, you'd be able to buy kits at multiple stores in every town, even those in "dry counties". And, maybe, a fourth thing, prices would drop as r&d and mold cost were more quickly ammortized.

Hey, it's Christmas (:-) and I can dream, can't I?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And, maybe, a fourth thing, prices would drop as r&d and mold cost were more quickly ammortized.

How come a kit first made 35+ years ago for 79¢ is reissued today as a "classic" and goes for $15?
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
The Only advertising I remember outside of Magazines were the Tamiya inserts. They contained a trifold color flyer with a listing of all hte kits and about 24 pics of built up ones. hten they switched to a small square insert with all the armour built. I don't know about the rest of you but my mouth watered at the thought of buying some of those kits like the Lancaster bomber. I saved my pennies to get the next kit. I think manufacturers do themselves a diservice by not distributing to at least the distributers(sorry) so that One can make an informed opinion. Most of my buying is done on impulse when I see product not from some list.I think EDUARD has the right Idea. I'm trying for example to make alist of IDF kits so I emailed ELEPHANT.I didn't ask for samples just either a description of or the instructions for their product. I wa going to list it on my site and group.I don't think anyone understands type numbers for stuff especially IDF. so bottom line I think the best advertising is done small .An insert ineach kit or a pic sent to online model stores like VLS,GreatodelsOR RJ products. This is my Idea of good marketing.(anyone think Warren Bufffet will hire me :-) .

Josh weingarten
aKa shiryon
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 03:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How come a kit first made 35+ years ago for 79¢ is reissued today as a "classic" and goes for $15?

Inflation??
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
AH I see. I guess it would get a little expensive for companies to make commercials. Having to make a profit, and for home much molds cost.

They could always try something else couldnt they?

Mike
 _GOTOTOP