_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
german gas masks
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 07:41 AM UTC
How common was the use of the gas masks by teh German soldiers during WW 2 I have read very little use of gas during this conflict. If it was rare why carry the extra weight?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
This is one piece of equipement that every soldier had to carry ...I think the germans were so scared od poison gas that they wanted to be sure to be protected...What I have read is alot of men got rid of the mask and used the case to carry other things ,but I can't be certain about that ...Don't think they had too many surprise inspections on the Russian front ..

Rick
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
For nearly all armies, gas masks were a mandatory piece of equipment for their soldiers after WWI.
After the soldiers became confident that gas was not being nor was going to be used they used them for extra storage or dumped them altogther like Rick said.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 10:27 AM UTC
I have talked with a few different German soldiers who have all told me that....after having thrown away the actual gas mask....the cannister itself was very good protection for a bottle of their favorite schnapps....I guess that's why right up until the end of the war they were seen with them.....doesn't mean they actually had a gas mask in them.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 05:00 AM UTC
The gas mask was issued to American Soldiers too. After Normandy many GIs tossed their masks and used the water (gas) proof bag to store stuff (like smokes). Likewise German soldiers tossed their masks and used the metal canister for storage.
 _GOTOTOP