Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Anyone fish?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:28 AM UTC
Just wondering if any of you guys or gals fish?

In the spring, I go crazy for crappies, white bass, whatever I can get. When I lived in Wisconsin, the "big" fish were walleyes -- I hit 'em pretty good when I lived up there and now I miss 'em living in Kansas.

I bought an old 14-foot aluminum boat for pennies last year and have been restoring it during this winter. Rebuilt the transom, added trailer, a seat, a 15 hp motor, a fish finder, etc., and I'm almost ready to hit the water. It's been my 1:1 scale project for the winter.

Anyone else fish? It's one of my favorite pastimes, along with hunting, gardening, and of course modeling!
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:36 AM UTC
Bass and crappie here, I've got a lake about 15 minutes from my house.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hey Bob
I used to fish alot. Now I spend most of my time tying on hooks and lures for my boys or untangling the birdsnests out of their reels. We used to do lots of trout fishing here in the mountains when we hade the time and occasionally we would snag a small mouth or two out of the river. Baseball, football, and basketball have pretty much taken over the free time now though.

Hermon
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:46 AM UTC
Good question Bob!
I love fishing, there's some great spots here in Aus, Golbourn river would have to be my favourite, the rainbow trout take the lure the moment it hit's the surface.
Cheers
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:16 AM UTC
You could call it fishing.

Mostly I just sit in my boat consuming adult beverages waiting for a bite - eventually I stop caring if I get a bite or not.

Scott
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:32 AM UTC
I don't get out to fish as much as I did. When I was able to get out, my favorite spot was trolling along the break wall for Yellow Pike. During the youth days we would camp out at Tifft Farm. We would start a camp fire and eat what we caught, mostly Sunnies. Ah memories…now a days it’s hard to find anyone that goes fishing.
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:46 AM UTC
I love going fishing..(i even bait my own hook) Back in South Carolina use to do a lot of Crappie, Bass, and Catfishing..now here in Nebraska..sadly i don't get to do that much anymore

Mary (++)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:29 PM UTC
Been known to walk to the lake and cast a few....
My buddy's father has kind of gotten use to waking up and find me fish on his property sometimes on the way home from work. been there so often now, the neighbor lets me use her boat dock.... :-)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Fly fishing and surf-casting are my two fishing passions!!!
Ciao
Fabio
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:06 PM UTC
I fish I good bit.
My sportsmen club stocks trout so I go for them a lot. I also have a creek right below the house that is usually full of panfish.
When I want to go for really big fish I can head to the dam about 5 min drive from my house for catfish or to a campground about 30mins away for bass and musky.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:22 PM UTC
Carp Angler Here. Love it Cant get enough,
Looking forward to my annual fishing holiday later this year.
this is one of my catches hope you like

propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:27 PM UTC
Fortunetly...I live by one of the great lakes, Erie.. LARGE catfish are around, snapping turtles too!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:29 PM UTC
I fish too, mainly rivers nowadays using my trusty centrepin.

Pete
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Flyfished since I was 12, took my little guy out last year,had a blast, I think got a buddy who I can fish with.
Cheers
Pete
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:39 PM UTC
Used to fish when i lived in Sydney, used to go out seven miles off maroubra beach where i lived to a place called the mountain it was an under water mountain great fishing spot lot of sharks though Tigers and Grey nurses used to take my .303 for them thebuggers would try to chaw the prop off the outboard.Used to fish a place called Yellow rock I made friends with a couple of Aboriginal guys we used to catch Black fish they used to build a fire then throw the fish on the coals, never eaten anything like it.my best memory was coming back from a days fishing coming though the heads of botany Bay with an incoming tide behind us I could hear a roaring noise my mate said 'dont look back ' so I looked back to see a wall of water about thirty feet high and we were riiding it in they call it a bombora or tidal surge where the heads narrow the water builds up, had to change me shorts after that one. great days. :-)
jRatz
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 07:07 AM UTC
Don't do as much as we'd like. We live on the ocean, but surf-fishing takes a lot of time for small reward these days (lots of blame to go around, we won't go there). So what little I do is in someone's boat either in the sound or the ocean.

Here are pix from Xmas'05 -- from left->right: Scott(son-in-law), me, Jamie (boat-owner), John (son).

Fish are Bluefish -- about 2/3 what we brought in that day -- we released a lot more (limits), and a slew of bothersome dogfish. I hooked, but lost, the only Rockfish we saw all day -- drat, 'cause it was a biggie. We ate Bluefish for 3 straight days, stuffed ourselves, 'cause it doesn't survive freezing ...

John
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 07:33 AM UTC
Quite a diverse group of anglers on here!

John: Those blues look great. I've never fished the Atlantic, but when I was stationed in Alaska, we hammered the salmon -- kings (chinook), silvers (coho), reds (sockeye) and humpies (pink). Also did some ocean fishing and brought home sea bass, ling cod and mighty big halibut to eat, but we also caught and released various sharks, skates, irish lords, tom cod, and all sorts of other odd fish.

RedLeg: Carp fishing isn't very popular here in the U.S., though InFisherman magazine and other sports groups are encouraging anglers to target them as a sport fish. When I was a kid, my cousin and I would get our rods and a can of corn and spend the afternoon battling huge carp. Right now, the fish and game managers are trying to figure out what to do about bighead and silver carp in the Mississippi/Missouri river system. They are a hazard to boaters ... check out this video: http://media.putfile.com/Incredible-Fishing-Video/320

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 05:30 PM UTC
I've never seen anything like that---- totally amazing.....
I wish they were like that here, I wouldn't even need to bring a pole or tackle box. :-) :-)
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 01:00 AM UTC
I don't fish, but I'm named after one!!!!Lots of teasing as a kid.

but them, I was born in a North Sea fishing port, and my Great Grandfather used to run a Drifter fishing in the North Sea
jRatz
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 07:33 AM UTC
I've not fished the Pacific, but I've eaten plenty of Salmon right out of it -- IMHO, Pacific Salmon have Atlantic beat fins down ...

I'm not much on freshwater -- I much prefer tuna, rockfish, blue fish, amberjack -- especially if eaten within a few hours after caught , almost right off the hook, and no intervening store/handling ... tuna sometimes doesn't even make the live well ...

John
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
My best catch was with my father. We caught 20 walleye's on a rainy day within one hour. My fatehr and i were pulling in two at the same time on two occaisions and when he unhooked his and cast in the water, i hadnt even got my fish of that he caught one.
We ended up giving most of the fish the the one who was in charge of hte place we stayed at since he had no more food left because the owners did not come bring him any like supposed to.

Frank
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC
I've always loved fishing, and am very fortunate to live where I do in Washington. One of the biggest advantages of life on the North Olympic Peninsula is the variety of fishing you can do. I've gone saltwater fishing for sea bass, snapper, ling cod, salmon, and (unintentionally) dogfish sharks. I've also gone to the local lakes and rivers fishing for rainbow and cutthroat trout, perch, crappies, bass, catfish, and steelhead. I used to go a couple of times a week when my Dad was still around, but I haven't been out much in the three years since he passed. You also used to be able to go out shrimping, crabbing, and even squid snagging, but over-harvesting of those in the harbor has pretty much put an end to all of that.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:57 AM UTC
Sounds great, guys.

Ed: I also have enjoyed many days fishing with my Dad. After years of learning from him, I've managed to teach the old dog a few tricks in the last few years. He set me up pretty good with an old, but working outboard motor and some duck decoys after I bought my boat. He's in his late 60s and still get out there to hammer the reefs on Green Bay and hunt ducks and geese.

Dad and I both love the Pacific Northwest (he began and ended his 22-year Army career at Fort Lewis), but just to visit, not to live there. I'm too chicken of the volcanos and earthquakes after my experiences in Alaska and at Yakima. Rather take my chances with the tornados here in Kansas.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hoping to get in more fishing this year since I will be out of school and have a cabin near Lake Cumberland, Ky. I enjoy fishing the Striper's down there and hope to mount a nice one above the fireplace someday.