History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Who are your heroes of history?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC
I've been trying to think of ways to make the History Club be more international. One way I thought of would be for each member to post on their own personal heroes. This might expose us all the people from other countries that we might not have heard about before.

One of my own personal heroes is well known, Douglas Bader. Ever since the first time I read the book Reach for the Sky, which I passed over in my school's library for years because I thought it was a western, I've admired this man. I have read some things about him that are less than flattering, but I realize a hero isn't perfect. Bader just impresses me so much because of the bravery he displayed in overcoming the loss of both legs, and was still able to fly for his country.

So, who do YOU admire?

GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
George Armstrong Custer
George Patton
John Wayne
Charlton Heston
US Grant
Robert E Lee
Ronald Wilson Reagan
George W Bush
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
HI, Let's see. I guess this would include most of the Nat. Am. peoples down through the ages for putting up with, and still surviving all the destructive tendencies of the Euro-Americans and their rough-shod practices for over 500+years. (No offense to anybody, but this is the only period in history where I find myself tending to take one side over the other.) This would also inlcude a lot of the frontiersmen who lived in these lands as well, and came to respect the Nat. Americans, their life ways and religions. (Of course with my user name being Sgirty, Simon Girty would have to top the list here of famous "white renegades.")

For other periods it is kind of hard to pick as again, I sort of pride myself of not taking sides all that much. Who is famous and who is not just depends on the side they fought on and how successful they were at their chosen craft, and whether or not their particular side came out the winner, thusly how they were written up by later historians.

The real heros of any era or conflict are not the ones who became famous or infamous, but the ones whose names are totally lost to history, meaning those common ordinary folks who stood up and did the actual fighting and dying for whatever cause their so-called political, and military superiors said it was necessary to go to war for in the first place. These are the true heros.

Take care, Larry
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
No one with his or her name in a book..... Everyone in a nameless grave who willingly or unwillingly gave their life on any given battlefield.

Frank

My Edit: If forced to pick one, for the sake of enligthening non Canadians, there are numerous winners of the Victoria Cross whom I could pick, but in keeping with my initial non-choice, I would have to pick Tommy Prince, Canada's most decorated (Military Medal and the Silver Star) Native soldier. Certain texts claim that the only reason he did not win the V.C., was due to his Native status. He later served courageously in Korea, only to come back home and be defeated by the system. Tommy was acknowledged by a statue in Winnipeg after his traggic death, he died a poor man and a lonely man.
bgazso
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 150 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
I'll limit myself to one person, which ain't easy. That would be James Gavin, the jumpin' general, youngest general since Custer, Commander 82nd Airborne. He was an orphan, joined the Army at 16 (I think), took the exam and went to West Point. Joined the fledgling parachute infantry experiment, and rose quickly through the ranks as an officer that led from the front.

The man was tall and handsome - the opposite of me - and lived through one of the most historic periods in history.

Helluva guy.

Barry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC
I liked your first response as well Frank, "Everyone in a nameless grave who willingly or unwillingly gave their life on any given battlefield." It reminds us that history is made by the folks that don't always make the history books.

Your Tommy Prince sounds like a Candian version of the American Ira Hayes, a native American who helped raise the flag at Iwo Jima, then went home to a live that wasn't so heroic.

DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 06:39 AM UTC
My individual hero would be Ulysses S. Grant. He rose from obscurity to winning the Civil War.

I also consider my heros to be The Belle City Rifles who helped to preserve the Union, especially those who lie in unmarked graves.

Charlie
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
I'm with Herman,

Molon Labe! (mo-lone lah-veh)

They mean, “Come and get them!” That was Leonidas' reply to the Persian king (Xerxes) when he was told that this life and the lives of his 300 odd troops (facing about 600,000 Persians) would be spared if they layed down their arms.

Rough @ss...

Shaun

Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
One individual that always comes to mind whom I have a great deal of admiration is Alexander Hamilton. Despite a deeply flawed character, his rise to prominence from humble beginnings as the illegitimate son of Caribbean merchant or as John Adams referred to Hamilton “the Scottish Bastard,” to his dedication and service to foundation of the United States both in battle and through the his political life. Despite the untimely death from the musket ball of Vice-President Aaron Burr, Hamilton left of legacy of perseverance, persistence, and commitment to personal honor.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hundreds of thousands of soldiers gave their live so I can now speak and write freely. For me, they're all heroes.

There is a fine line between heroism and lunacy though lol. Rear admiral Karel Doorman discovered this too late when he was charging the Japanese Navy. ( still, it earned him a bust, some street names and a carrier lol ).

Now, if I had to pick one: Michiel Adriaanszoon De Ruyter, who was admiral of the Dutch fleet during the second English war. He was able to decimate the English fleet, and defend Holland during the battle of Kijkduin, where he faced a combined English/ French/ Spanish fleet and won.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain....before he became trendy, I had read about him. Considering I am southern and have strong ties to Alabama, this is really saying something. Of course he is most famous for his action on Little Round Top with the 20th Maine, but it was his whole life that makes him my hero. Colege professor, Govenor and most especially for what he did at Appomatax. When the remains of the Confederate army were marching by for the final stack of arms he had his Division stand to attention and salute them.

Anothe hero is Smedley Butler. He won the Medal of Honor on two separate occasions during the teens for actions in Mexico and Haiti. He got into trouble by publically condemming Big Business for twisting the Govt's arm to get involved with the Banana Republic wars several yaears later...after he became the youngest man ever to become a Major General (MArine). His nickname was "Old Gimlet Eye".
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hmm... difficult. Almost certainly Nelson. Also Wellington and (although it's a possible minefield ) Forrester as the epitome of the Cavalry Commander. Certain others deserve a (more than honorable) mention such as Dowding, Nimitz and Otto Skorzeny (his repulsive politics notwithstanding).

Following the spirit of one of the previous posters, I'd have to add Sharpe and Hornblower. Just where exactly do John Wayne and Charlton Heston fit in? - I do agree 150% with Reagan though...Jim
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(although it's a possible minefield ) Forrester as the epitome of the Cavalry Commander.

Jimbrae, I think you meant to say Forrest, as in Nathan Bedford Forrest. He is a perfect example of how somebody can be a figure of respect to some for doing some things, and a figure to be dested by others for doing other things.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a fine line between heroism and lunacy though lol. Rear admiral Karel Doorman discovered this too late when he was charging the Japanese Navy. ( still, it earned him a bust, some street names and a carrier lol ).

Richard, thanks for brining up somebody who might not be instantly recognized by everybody here. Perhaps you should explain who Doorman was?

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you meant to say Forrest, as in Nathan Bedford Forrest

Absolutely Rodger - my mind (or what's left of it) was thinking about C.S. Forrester at the same time..Jim :-)
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
Hannibal of Carthage
Leonidas of Sparta
Alexander
JEB Stuart
TE Lawrence
David Stirling
Orde Wingate
Otto Skorzeny
Winston Churchill
Ariel Sharon
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Richard, thanks for brining up somebody who might not be instantly recognized by everybody here. Perhaps you should explain who Doorman was?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Karel_Doorman

Off course, one can't expect europeans to know every US civil war person aswell ( big hint ).

And who the heck is Otto Skorzeny ? why does he deserve to be moulded in plastic, and not, say Eisenhower, Patton, Montgomery, Urquhart, John Frost etc. etc.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi ALL
Well for me as mentioned by other posts it has to be every fighting men and women who served and paid the ultimate price.
It always moves me greatly when i visit the many cemetarys in Europe and other parts of the world.
All seemed so very very young...for me they will always be my heroes.
I always make a point of visiting the german cemetary in France also they were young to.
Cheers Chris
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 08:00 AM UTC
General of the Army George C. Marshall.

He was the first of what eventually became the "Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff", directing the entire US Military throughout our entire envolvement in WW II. Nominally, he was over every military man to include many who became much more famous. When he asked for a field command, Roosevelt told him he couldn't spare him from Washington, and so he stayed and directed the efforts of the likes of MacArthur, Eisenhower and the rest.

And what did he do AFTER the war? He became the Secretary of State, authored the famous Marshall Plan which directly led to the swift recovery of our former enemies in Europe, avoiding the punishing reparations levied against Germany after WW I, which argueably were a root cause of WW II. Not only did the plan succeed, it laid the foundation for victory in the Cold War, AND won Marshall the Nobel Peace Prize.

He was a man with an incredible sense of duty, and vision, yet modest in the extreme. I believe he is one the most under rated men in history. And that would have been exactly the way he would have wanted it.

Tom
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 08:29 AM UTC
Lots of good ones here. Let me add a few:

German Gen. Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck. First World War in Africa. They ought to make a movie about this guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erich_von_Lettow-Vorbeck

Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark (and all the folks who travelled with them). They went into the great unknown and wow ... the rest of our country was born.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hmmm...my heroes of history...
Personally, I would be exhausted by the time I had listed my favorites, but I would have to say that the greatest hero in my history list would be my dad...He was a career military man, in alot of conflicts, and quite a hero, I'm proud to say...
Gunny
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:21 PM UTC
Snowhand,

Tammy kitted Patton, Ike and Monty, with Rommel and MacArthur in 1/35th scale plastic...

Shaun

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=WR&I=LXGU80
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
Anders Lassen 1920-1945 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Frederik_Emil_Victor_Schau_Lassen
Christian Julius de Meza 1792-1865 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Julius_De_Meza
Tigercat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC
Captain FJ Walker RN. For more information about him click here

David
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Snowhand,

Tammy kitted Patton, Ike and Monty, with Rommel and MacArthur in 1/35th scale plastic...

Shaun

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=WR&I=LXGU80

I know that

And luckily, there are some montys in small scale aswell ( matchbox, among others ).