TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Something I've wondered about....
bgazso
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 150 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
I've been watching the excellent series on A&E about the American Revolution, and although it obviously can't be verified, the actors portraying the "Americans" always talk with an American accent (Every movie I've ever seen does the same thing). But, I mean, up to that moment in time, "Americans" were all British subjects, so wouldn't everyone, including George Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Everybody, have spoken with a British accent? It would put a very different spin on the thing in my opinion.

It doesn't seem logical that in the relatively short time the colonists were "separated" from England by distance that the fully formed American English would've formed.

Anybody else wonder about that?

Barry
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:04 AM UTC

This is a rather obscure disease called "Bumfuzelment" which seems only to strike actors and musicians.
It has something to do with "string theory" and the space-time continium.

This is a mysterious condition which also causes all German military personel in war films to speak with a purely British accent.
Madona also suffers from this ailment as witnessed when she moved from California to England and a week later gave a press conference in which she spoke as a born and bred Brit.

Hope this cleared things up. And please, don't take this disease lightly....it could happen to you some day.

Hermon
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC
I don't have anything to back this up but I believe that by the time of the revolution most people in the American colonies had develouped at least some type of regional accent. After all there were people in the colonies for what, a couple hundred years? That's long enough to develop a regional accent.

I doubt they'd sounded exactly like they do now, but I doubt the British would have sounded the same either.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:50 AM UTC
I suspect this was done, in part, to help differntiate the differnt characters. But, surely, there would have been regiaonlization. Just consider how different British and Amarican English are today, even when dealing with things developed in the last century or so, lorries vs. trucks, bonnets vs. hoods, etc.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
That is a good question. I think it kind of goes in hand with accents in general - like how did we get our elegant drawl down here in the South y'all? :-)

And have you ever noticed how actors from the United Kingdom always get roles playing Americans, but it never is the other way around. Band of Brothers is a good example...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
My thought was well they were Americans not British. As Rodger point out...regional differences. Look at Great Britain, Irish, Welsh, Scotland and English. major reginal differences that even as an American I can identify. What about Cockney vs downtown London. In the US- Boston- NY- Virginia - Deep south- Texan.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:07 AM UTC
Kinda

About 12 years ago I worked down in Biloxi - Gulfport Mississippi for about 2 months. No word of a lie, I needed a translator to decipher that local drawl!.... Listening to me, most of them would politely ask where I got that strange accent?!? They kept asking if I was a northerner! :-) I didn;t dare say I was a first generation Canadian with Swiss and Spanish roots!
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC
Well I think that at least George Washington would have kept his English accent. After all he did serve as an officer in the British Army in the French and Indian War.And you don't become an officer without the "right accent ". And the first two presidents were born in England.But more importantly they were part of the colonies upper class.While a regional was probably what most people spoke I don't think that the wealthy would have.IMHO.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
What about the early influence of German.. I recently read something about it having been a close call when the early European settelers had to decide on a common language. Is it the Hamish who still speak German? Just imagine if the settelers would have picked German or French... or even Dutch...afterall New York was Dutch untill we swapped it to you for Suriname...

Cheers
Henk
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And the first two presidents were born in England.

Fraid not...From Whitehouse.gov
George Washington-First President
1789-1797
Born: February 22, 1732 in Westmoreland County, Virginia
Died: December 14, 1799 in Mount Vernon, Virginia
John Adams-Second President
1797-1801
Born: October 30 1735 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Died: July 4, 1826 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Thomas Jefferson Third President
1801-1809
Born: April 13, 1743 in Albemarle County, Virginia
Died: July 4, 1826 in Monticello in Virginia

mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:13 AM UTC
I stand corrected on the fist two presidents(thats what I get for watching the History Channel) as far as accents within the U.K. it only makes sense that four different countries would have four different accents and languages.But I stand by what I said about Washington speaking with the right accent as his ancestors were wealthy in England. Their ancestral home is open to the public in Washington-New-Town.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 04:45 PM UTC
Hey! Stop taking the American out of my American heros!!! :-) :-) :-) Crykee!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC
If they was from Joisey, they talked like Joisey..... da native americans said "badda bing", and taught it to da white guys and the weehawken indians' chief was named tony...... and da meadowlands are sacried burial grounds. We all bless ourselfs passing over exit 15E.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
We had a great show here in Canada on the CBC that focused on how the English Canadians speak is very different from that of Americans.

I don't remember everything about it but one of the examples was the word Caught.

Canadians on the whole will say Cot and Caught exactly the same way while most Americans will pronounce each word differently.

There were many more examples given but the basic gist was that even though we share a long border and have so much in common Candians have their own way of speaking.

Now of course the way the folks down east like to speak is a whole thread in itself. Esp the people from Newfoundland.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:00 PM UTC
This is an amusing question that we will probably never answer. Like everything else that makes this country great or quirky, I'll blame it on the Scotch-Irish.

PBS had a great series "Do You Speak American?" a few months ago -- the website is still up: http://www.pbs.org/speak/

The "cot/caught" thing is in there, as well as lots of other gems.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
Bill Bryson writes about this in "Made in America" English was spoken very differently then on both sides of the Atlantic than the way it is spoken today. It's a very good read as well even if it does neglect the military history of the USA