_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Judging your own model work
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC
Im sure we all face this delimma, you by a high quality kit, take it home and do your best job in construction and painting.

Then you come to Armorama and see the same kit here, that one of the heavy hitters has done and your kit no longer looks that great.

I frown and wonder, why dont I just buy cheap kits or why cant i do that good?, but I keep trying!!, maybe one day! -but the trick to getting better is trying new things or additional things to the kit, many small changes add up....Just my philosphy
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC
Hi There,

I have a saying :

"It sits on a display table for tops two days but it has to sit on my shelf for the rest of its life"

Don't get caught in that rut of comparing your stuff to others, especially the top guys in the hobby. If you think its better send them a note and ask for advice. I find most on this site is more than willing to help out.

As for buying expensive kits and doing them if your interested in the subject buy it, build it and paint it. You can get advice on the way.

Its a hobby meant to be enjoyed and dont beat yourself up too much on it

Cheers

Ray
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:30 PM UTC
I like Ray's motto. Myself I find I'm far more critical of my own work that I would ever be of any body else. I have taken models to local shows just to take them there, with no hope of winning anything, and come away with first or second place. I really don't know if the others are being charitable to me or not.

Because of this I try not to judge myself against others. I just try to do the best kit I possibly can at the time I'm building it, and try to get better on each kit.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
I'm more concerned with my models, rather than others. "Did my recent model come out better than my last one?"; that's what I'm always asking.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at the work of others. That's how I learn, and figure out how to get better. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, and as has been said above, this IS supposed to be fun.

As for the cost of a kit; well, I buy it if its something I'm interested in. Old or new, a good modeller should be able to make an acceptable model out of it. Someday, I hope I will be one. For now, I look, learn, and most of all, enjoy my hobby.

Mike

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:45 PM UTC
One thing I have learned is that there will Always be someone better than I am. If I have done the best I can do then there is no more I can do. I keep on practicing.

Couple of things - I pick one or two techniques per project that I want to absolutely nail and do well. I rely on standard techniques throughout except on the one or two and then I judge the overall project.
Don't skimp on kits if you don't have to. Better kits yeild better results by default. If you want something just to fill time and build just for something to do then go ahead and buy cheap stuff.

Keep on build and you get better, it takes time. Just never get discouraged by others work, get inspired.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:51 PM UTC
Just build and enjoy it. Just like anything in life, the more you do it, the better you become. Learn from your mistakes, and the mistakes of others. Buy and build what you like and have an interest in. And it's ok to even take a break, it's a hobby, not a race.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
If I'm not happy with the result I repaint or whatever; if nobody else likes it, or it isn't as good as another guys version, so what. I model for my own relaxation and enjoyment.
I take note of constructive criticism that will help me improve my techniques and that's it.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC
I like to try a new technique on each kit I build. My first was straight from the box with very little brush painting. The second was painted using brush and spray can. Third, was some detailing and rudimentary weathering. Fourth.... well you get the picture....
I never expect myself to be as good as many of the folks on here, but it does give me something to strive for. As long as I feel that I am improving with each kit that I build, I'll be happy. There's just sooooooo much that you can learn from doing more and more, and as long I'm happy with the results that's the main thing. That's one of the things I love about this hobby.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
being fairly new in the hobby.. five years now I found early on I was my own worse critic..

I now try to judge my work by first did I enjoy the build, then second, did I learn anything new during the build and third, did I work at or a bit beyond my current skill, if yes to these 3 then I have a personal winner....

don't fall into the trap...... but his is so much better.. because that might be a fellow who has been building for 30 years and has built that particular model 10 times.....

end of my 2 cents
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 01:06 AM UTC
When I put a figure on a base and then on the shelf, I am happy with the project, even if I know there are some areas that are not 100%. Going for 100% every time runs you smack into the law of diminishing returns. You put increasing amounts of effort for less improvement. Each item ultimately has to stand on its own in the continuum of my growth.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC
Well I build for myself ...I'm very critical of my own work but I always remind myself that this is a hobby . There are some awesome modellers out there and I'm always picking my jaw up off the floor after looking at their work ...So no matter who you are there will always be someone out there who can do it better... I for one try at least one new technique on each kit I build ,at least I can see that my kits are changing and getting better ..I've been modelling for about 30 yrs now but I can tell you that I've learnt more in the last five years with the internet than I did in the first 25 yrs..so you young guns should pass us old timers by quite quickly...
The main thing is ...let's all have fun with this great hobby ..

Rick
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi all.
Every model I finish I post pictures on the site and invite advice,hints and tips.
I make a note of these and address them on the next one.
The most important thing for me is what I think of the finished model.
As long as I see an improvement on each model I finish then thats a result in my book. I take pleasure in looking at my latest project and comparing it to my first.
Im thinking now of rebuilding my first model and being able to make a direct comparrison.
Also,I try and do something new with each model I start.mainly to set myself a new challenge each time,as well as improving on the general techniques.
As with every hobby,the important thing to remember is that its supposed to be fun.
Enjoy yourselves.
Happy modelling
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 01:21 AM UTC
Initially when finding this website, I thought 'my god', dare I submit any of my offerings when viewing the many great models that are displayed here.
I have submitted a small number and found great encouragement to continue in my chosen form of art, which I think we must admit that it is, whereas many people without the understanding of the creative skills that are required to produce any piece of work still seem to suggest that we play with plastic toys, as we will all have experienced. Aside from the artistic flair that is needed, there is the side of mental acuity, flair and imagination that one needs in approaching a new build, as well as recognising that there are theraputic rewards in relaxation and stress reduction with regard to the world in which we live.
I gather a great deal of pleasure in communication with others and gaining access to ideas and motivation to further my hobby and I think that we must all remember that even with our allowing others to view and comment on our offerings, the most important person that we must satisfy and feel a sense of pride in, is that of our own personal recogniton of a job well done.

Regards to all,

John
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 01:55 AM UTC
I think we always find our own models lacking if we compare them with others, especially some of the "stars" here on Armorama. I'm particularly critical of my efforts when I compare them with Vinnie's, he's just so painstaking and just so prolific!
But it's important to remember that many of us have to fit modelling into a small space around work and family commitments, and that some of the "heavy hitters" mentioned actually do this for a job (Vinnie doesn't, incidentally, which just makes him all the more impressive). You will also find, particularly if you scan the modelling magazines, that many of the journalists get kits or accessories for free in return for exposure or a review, whereas we all have to pay for ours, so may be less inclined to "experiment" with finishes or materials. I know I will never be able to bring myself to attack an expensive Dragon kit with a soldering iron to achieve a more realistic Zimmerit, and as I smooth on the putty again, I'm always thinking "This time I could make a real hash of it & ruin £20 - £30 of kit!". I suspect I'm not alone. So just aim for a steady improvement, and most of all enjoy it!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:04 AM UTC
Always build for yourself, if you're happy with what you've done, it's all that matters. I see modellers that never seem to be satisfied with their results, way too critical and competitive for their own good...

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi, I think that each one of us is our own worst critic in this hobby. Because we see things that we have done, or more imporantly, not done, on each build, so we know what is and is not right about it, or them.

Yes, I get very discussed sometimes when I look on this site and others that I check out on a daily basis and see some of the pictures posted there of the various kits. Most of them make me seriously wonder why in the world my personality happened to pick this particular hobby to want to fool with in the first place.

But as the owner of the local hobby store said, if what you build basically makes you happy, then that is all that really counts. And as you go along you can see some improvments in most of the kits you've built down through the years, then that ought to be enough. I've also had to face the fact that I am what I call a "kit builder "and not a "modeler." Maybe in 75 years or so it will be different. But I feel that heading 'h---- bent for leather' towards 60 I'll have other things to concen myself with in 75 years or so. Ha, ha, ha! Besides plastic melts real easily down there anyway.

So in the end the only person I have to satisfy is my own self. Execpt for a couple on display at the hobby shop I go to, the rest are mearly put away in Tupper Ware types of boxes and taken out occasionally to look at by only me. After I'm gone I'm quite sure the boxes will be used for other things by other peoples.

And if I do get totally discussed by what I see on the Net., in comparing them to my kits, I can do it like I do the Electonic Idiot Box in the front room, simply turn it off.

Take care, Larry
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 878 Posts
KitMaker Network: 136 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
I tend to look at my models/dios for some days after completion with satisfaction. I know that I've done the best I could, and then suddenly mistakes, wrong paintjob, unrealistic poses and lack of interaction between the figures involved seem to appear. I don't know why, but thats just how it is.

I also compare my work to others, trying to get up to their standards, but still - and I think thats important - don't forget your own style and/or sense of humor in your work, if you want that ofcourse. Well just me thoughts.

Cheers
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
I think, for most of us, that we are our own worst critic!

I know I look at my models and feel that they are not as good as some I see here. Some time ago I was told by a few people that photos of my truck models were putting them off showing their models as they felt that mine put theirs to shame. My answer was that if I thought this was happening I would not post pictures of my work as it was, to me, an unfair comparison to judge your own models against someone elses.

To me any model that you have done to the best of your skills is a good model. As they say 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' and not in your eyes as you look in the mirror.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Cliff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 03:49 AM UTC
I actually like to place my models on the shelf next to the ones i started off with which arent done very well. That way i can see the improvements ive made over each kits.

Needless to say if i run out of shelf space, i will apply the FIFO methodology. FIFO = First In First Out.

I know my kits arent as good as alot of the members here but based on the improvements ive made over the kits, im sure i will get there some day.
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hi,

I am rather critical of my own work and the process of building a kit. Sometimes, tends to get lazy and try to take shortcuts, but I am learning and the folks here are truly a great help, pictures, advice, you name it!

I learnt to know myself and where I stand and each greater works that showed up here only helps to increase the standard for me to reach!

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP