TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Windtalkers
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:48 PM UTC
Rented the DVD the other night. Is it just me, or was the movie just not good? I have such respect for theCodetalkers, that I think I expected too much from Hollywood.

Patrick
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:40 AM UTC
The story I like... the movie I did not.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rented the DVD the other night. Is it just me, or was the movie just not good? I have such respect for theCodetalkers, that I think I expected too much from Hollywood.

Patrick

Agreed. I was underwhelmed by this. FOr all it promised, it was just another cliched WWII movie, with not enough emphasis of the Navaho. There was also a shot, early on at Kaneoa (sp) Bay of a flag flying. That flag had a fifty star canton. The ground support A/C were too obviously computer generated and didnlt quite look like any A/C from real life.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:00 AM UTC
DML has 1/35 scale figures (model figures) of the Windtalkers, complete with movie logo on the box. Movie was OK, would have like more of the code talker uses.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:05 AM UTC
The subject was excellent, the movie was not. IMHO.

Those knee mortar explosions were quite large. Bigger than the heavy stuff goin' off.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:10 AM UTC
The subject was excellent, the movie was not. IMHO.

Those knee mortar explosions were quite large. Bigger than the heavy stuff goin' off.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:58 PM UTC
I agree with most of you, in part. I don't even think that the storyline was good. As for the rest, too much special effects and not enough thought. I agree that the Navajo should have been emphasized more as their contribution was dimished by the poor movie.
Andrew
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:01 PM UTC
It seemed to me that Nicholas Cage's character was right out of a comic book, when he was in the combat scenes.
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:19 PM UTC
I went to the theater to see this film expecting to learn about how the code talke idea came about. I wanted learn how they came up with the idea to use them for the code and all of it's history. Boy was I disapointed! It was amazing how the main character could stand up in front of all of his men while they were laying down and not get shot. I thought I was watching an old john wayne movie. It was entertaining but that is all I can say it was. (:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:35 PM UTC
Windtalkers is really a very bad movie, John Woo totally killed it, and just what's the deal with that slow motion point your gun at each other scene. I mean first time you watch it, it's different, now ain't it a bit old now.

It's a great story, but the movie, I am so sorry, I wouldn't even buy a pirated one for just two bucks.

And Oberstus, I think it's Navajo instead of Navaho.... #:-)
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 05:49 AM UTC
Okay Dave, you punk,
I have editted the post to read Navajo, happy?
Andrew

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 06:04 AM UTC
Personally, I think the movie should have been named "Windbreakers". Pretty crappy. But then, I had my delusional expectations set but "Saving Private Ryan"!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally, I think the movie should have been named "Windbreakers".

WINDBREAKERS, the incredible butt true story of a band of lactose intolerant Marines who sent radio messages by controling their emisions! The Japanese were never able to figure it out. "This movie stinks, and that's a good thing," raves Eric Cartman in the South Park Sentinnel. #:-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 08:21 AM UTC
Too bad !
I usualy enjoy john Woo's movies, most of all the gangster ones.
But this movie deserved a different treatment, and it didn't get it... it could have been good, but sadly it turned out very bad.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WINDBREAKERS, the incredible butt true story of a band of lactose intolerant Marines who sent radio messages by controling their emisions! The Japanese were never able to figure it out. "This movie stinks, and that's a good thing," raves Eric Cartman in the South Park Sentinnel. #:-)

ROFLMAO!
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
Too bad this was about two hours of overdone special effects with brief intercuts of true heros. The Navajo codetalkers deserve all honors we can bestow on them. Yet Woo chose to minimize this and emphasize explosions. BAD movie...
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 04:41 AM UTC
I think that the explosions in the movie looked like fireworks. Another desperate attempt to do a ww2 movie, I think...
M4Nut
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
Saw the movie in the theater (daughter works there so didn't have to pay :-) ) and got what I payed to see it. While I liked the special effects of the Japanese tanks and aircraft the rest of the effects sucked. From what I remember every explosion was a fireball. I remember one post on a different site saying after Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers all other war scenes pale in comparison and I agree. You notice I talk about the special effects and not the plot, that's because there was no plot.
Eric
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
Story had promise, execution was lousy. Tried a little too hard to depict everyone as a hero. The audience realizes that they are heros, however, the film seemed to push it a little too far. I think that the movie could have been really good, and it had some good scenes, but all in all, it had room for improvement.

Oh, M4Nut - If you want a movie that embelishes explosions check out Gale Force. I guess I wasn't aware that a grenade launched from an M79 would leave a couple hundred feet of beach completely engulfed. Methinks those must have been special greandes