_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Reference books
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
Between Concord, Darlington, Golden, Osprey, Presidio Press and Squadron, what are the better publications. I am mainly interested in modern armor (Cold War to present).
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 09:57 AM UTC
Anyone of those book are good. I feel that you can't have enough Ref. books.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone of those book are good. I feel that you can't have enough Ref. books.

I'll drink to that!
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 10:52 AM UTC
I don't think there are better and worse.all the names you listed produce quality reference books. If you have a paricular subject in mind(M1 Abrams, sherman, Leopardor Merkava) some one could probabaly stear you in the right direction as to which covers it better.

Josh Weingarten
Aka shiryon
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:49 PM UTC
I'd start worrying about shelving too. When you start getting reference books it never ends LOL! My house looks like a public library!
The other thing to worry about is when people come around to your house and notice all those books about weaponry and stuff on your shelves! They leave thinking you are some sort of closet Neo-Nazi clocktower sniper LOL!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 02:23 PM UTC
verlinden have made a few reference books, only a few though, i think its ww2 armor, ww2 air, ww2 naval, and a few more, cheers
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 04:14 PM UTC
Some reference books tell you all you want to know (or don't want to know) about the development of the particular vehicle. Others are chocked full of detail pictures to give super-detailers ideas of where to add to the kits.

Squadron "In Action" books are a great cross between a detailed "walk around" and give just a few paragraphs of technical information. They are readily available and you can tailor your collection to only those subjects that appeal to you (M1, HMMWV, Bradley, M113, etc.). Down side is that the modern armor books are geared towards the modern US armor builder and ignore all other modern armor (Russian, German, French, etc.).

Of course, if you want the bible on a particular line of US vehicles, get a R.P. Hunnicutt book on one of his various topics. Not much "in action" photos, but there are definitely all you want to know about the MBT, LAV, IFV, etc.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 04:55 PM UTC
Read what Sabot said. He is very correct.

Also: Check local garage and yard sales. You can sometimes find books and/or kits for pennies.

Another also: Look at your local library. Sometimes they have books about local units and they certainly have magazines -- if you're intersted in modern armor, mags such as Time, Newsweek and US News & World Report have lots of pics!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 06:01 PM UTC
From a modelling standpoint I would have to agree with prior posts, although they don't go so far as to endorse a particular line beyond signal. I personally can recommend Allied-Axis for the "in action" photos, Verlinden and osprey for the "super-detail" photos, and osprey also has technical data, war stories, etc. When I finish my Abrams, I'll show you what you can do with Verlinden and Osprey together, with some help from Major Rob.

Rob
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some reference books tell you all you want to know (or don't want to know) about the development of the particular vehicle. Others are chocked full of detail pictures to give super-detailers ideas of where to add to the kits.

Squadron "In Action" books are a great cross between a detailed "walk around" and give just a few paragraphs of technical information. They are readily available and you can tailor your collection to only those subjects that appeal to you (M1, HMMWV, Bradley, M113, etc.). Down side is that the modern armor books are geared towards the modern US armor builder and ignore all other modern armor (Russian, German, French, etc.).

Of course, if you want the bible on a particular line of US vehicles, get a R.P. Hunnicutt book on one of his various topics. Not much "in action" photos, but there are definitely all you want to know about the MBT, LAV, IFV, etc.

BIG definite on Hunnicutt. I have Hunnicutt's 'Sheridan' book, and it has loads of info as well as pictures, not just of the Sheridan, but of the M41, prototypes, etc.
 _GOTOTOP