_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Going to the Milton Keynes show? Please read
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:43 AM UTC
Possibly a bit of bad news
On the way home from work today my car lost power, like going from warp 5 to impulse. I will have it in the garage to get looked at tomorrow and hopefully it will be sorted before the end of the day.

If it isn't sorted I will have a major problem in getting the IPMS ArmoramaUK stand to Milton Keynes. I am looking at solutions and I'm just warning you that there is a possibility that the stand won't make it. I will still attend, assuming that I have some kind of transport.

I will post here as soon as I know what's happening, but it might not be until Saturday evening, keep your fingers crossed
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Well, I don't know if anyone read this but my car is fixed. Well they tell me it is, I will pick it up Saturday morning and if all seems well I will risk it with the branch stand. If it doesn't seem right I will leave it with them to sort out and get a courtesy car, which would mean that I couldn't transport the stand, but I will still go to MK.
Check back here to find out if I will be able to take the branch stand. If I have added nothing, by midnight Saturday night assume I will be taking the stand.
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
I read your first post and then prayed that your car will be fixed. Lets hope everything turns out well as Courtney wants to put her Sherman on the stand .
Still praying, Andy (++)
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
Fingers crossed its all fixed Mal.
Usualy when a car goes from "hero to zero" like that its something come adrift and a quick fix. Lets hope so anyway.Hope it was a cheap fix as well!!
Assuming you get to bring the stand,have you got enough models to put on it?,,not that Ive got much to show,,but Id be happy to bring a couple down if you like.
If you manage to bring the stand down I will find you there, but I will PM you my mobile number so we can arrange a meeting place.
Nige
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
What time are you guys getting there sunday???
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
fingers crossed mal, my car threw a bit of a wobble the other week, but is behaving itself now
andy- i'm hoping to get there about 08.30 ish
Torchy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:29 AM UTC
I'm all of 3 miles away :-) :-) :-) :-)
The car parkings not brilliant there
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
Andy,
Myself and the little one should be getting there between 8.30/ 9.00, depends on traffic.
Andy (++)
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hi all.
I was thinking of getting there about lunchtime but I think I will change that to mid morning after reading this thread.
Looking forward to it
Andy,,you mentioned the car parking not being brilliant there. Can you recommend somewhere close?
Torchy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Nigel
there are 3 car parks ,two out the front and one behind (off of Western road) but they not that big,and I would imagine that they will fill quite quicky,about 3-4 mins walk away is a LIDLS supermarket,which has a car park and a fair bit of parking for others as well (Dominos pizza) these are quite empty on sundays, plus side street parking,(beware of the locals :-) :-) )
Hope this helps
Andy
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 01:37 AM UTC
i might try to get there earlier and bag me a prime parking spot then!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC
Good news it was only a lose earth lead so the motor is fixed. I still ended up less a days pay plus I had to take the bus home from Worksop and back this morning, which I reckon will be my hell when I shuttle off this mortal coil I'm in the process of getting everything together and packing the car
I plan on getting there about 07.30, but depending on how easy it is to find the place and traffic (Sunday drivers), I might be later.
I have put up the directions on the IPMS site, or you will find them on IPMS MK's site www.mksmc.co.uk
Nige, yes bring you models, the more the merrier I got the impression that we might be tucked away but if you ask the organisers they should be able to point you in the right direction. I would suggest getting there sooner rather than later, you will be surprised how the time flies.
See you all there.
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
That's brilliant news Mal, well apart from the days pay to fix it and having to use public transport .
We should be getting there fairly early so I'll help you set up if you need help.
Andy (++) and Courtney
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi all.
Mal,,good news on the motor! Surprised to hear that the Notts public transport wasnt a nice experience,NOT
I'll aim to get there a bit earlier than planned,and I'll bring the Spit and the 109.
Everyone have a safe trip and see y'all tomorrow.
Nige
jlmurc
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
Gentlemen, I had hoped to wend my way to Milton Keynes from Bury St Edmunds, later this morning to attend only my second model show, but more importantly to meet some of you, but sadly due to health considerations I have to cancel.

So have a great day and swop loads of stories and hopefully I will get there one day and be able to put some faces to names and all that.

John
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC
Hi John

I hope you're feeling OK - as you say, there'll hopefully be a day when we can all meet up. My own big plans for getting a load of editing took a knock when the site went down for hours today.

Oh well - at least it gave me a chance to start work on Mirage Hobby's PZL-23 - but I might as well have traipsed up to Milton Keynes for all the Armorama work I could get done today! :-)

I hope everyone had a great time.

All the best

Rowan
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 701 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
I was pleasently surprised by the size of the show and how well attended it was, a very good atmosphere and plenty of ppl willing to talk and exchange tips and such.....only drawback was the amount of aricraft...nasty things A show well worth attending and one that is surprisingly bigger than you would expect.

Tried to say "hi" Mel, but you were always busy talking with ppl, so did not want to interrupt, how you had a good show.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hi Ethelian,
Sorry I didn't get to talk to you, we do things a little different to other IPMS branches, we get out front and talk to people. I might have been chin wagging with other Armorama members though, if that was the case then butting in certainly wouldn't have been a problem. I must try and organise badges then you would have know. Are you planning on attending any other shows?
Mal
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
I had a great time. Busy chinwagging with old friends.

It is a great show, but the usual upsets in the competition rooms!
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi all.
I had a great time. It was very nice to be able to put faces to names and see some of the wonderful works of art that people on here produce up close instead of on a pc screen.
The friendliness of everyone is certainly something to be proud of and the willingness to share techniques and experience served to aspire me to go and hopefully build to the same standard one day.
Congratulations to Courtney on her bronze medal for the Sherman,and also to Almonkey on his highly commended for his Tiger Moth.
I think we all ought to encourage,and if that fails,,openly bully Phil into doing an article or an online build on one of his fabulous WW1 biplanes.
Anyone thinking of going along to one of these shows I can highly recommend it.I had one of the best days out for a long time,and managed to curb my spending,,well,,almost anyway!
Looking forward to the next one!!!
Cheers everyone!
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we all ought to encourage,and if that fails,,openly bully Phil into doing an article or an online build on one of his fabulous WW1 biplanes.

flattery would work the best!
i totally agree with you about how great these shows are, its a great day out, meeting armorama members, having a natter and a laugh (and a pint, torchy showed me where the bar was!)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all.

Got to agree with that. Phil planes are outstanding and they are 1/72, yet he still manages to rig them ( the madman, just looking at all that rigging would drive me round the twist :-) ).
Courtney and I had a wonderful day. It felt like i had known fellow members of the big "A" for years instead of hours, such is the friendship and cadamaderie.
I managed to curb my spending, but Courtney didn't, so I'm still broke :-).
Thanks for all your hard work Mal in making it possible for all of us to meet and hang out. Roll on the next show.
Andy (++)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC
Cool guys, that's what it's all about
Mal
Littorio
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

Great display as usual, well done to you and the rest of the team.

Will you be attending IPMS Southern expo in Hornchurch Essex at the end of March?

Ciao
Luciano
Torchy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC
Thanks Mal
That was a great day,hope you all got home OK.
It was great to meet you guys and gal,and put faces to names,all your models were superb(I still think Courtney should have won the jr comp) and I hope we got a few more members because of them.
Whens the next meet????,is there a bar there????
Andy
 _GOTOTOP