History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
US 9th Armd Div, WW2, Remagen
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC
Can anyone offer any help?

I am in the planning process for a collection of vehicles depicting the US 9th Armd Div, Remagen bridge area, WW2.

I need to know the battalion numbers and company numbers for the tank battalions and the armd inf battalions and companies.

I would need these details to enable me to depict the correct vehicles with the correct numbers shown.

I will be building Shermans, Willy's jeeps, M3 half tracks, possibly M8 armd cars and deuce and a half's.

Could anyone offer advice or point me in the right direction for information?

Thank you.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 07:21 AM UTC
I don't know the units actually involved in the bridgehead, but here are the units in the 9th Armored.

2nd Tank Batt.
14th Tank Batt.
19th Tank Batt.
27th Armored Inf Batt.
52nd Armored Inf Batt.
60th Armored Inf Batt.
89th Cavalry Recon Squadron Mechanized
9th Armored Engineer Batt.
149th Armored Signal Company
3rd Armored Field Artillery Batt.
16th Armored Field Artillery Batt.
73rd Armored Field Artillery Batt.
131st Ordanance Maintenance Batt.
2nd Armored Medical Batt.

These are from Stephen Zaloga's US Armoed Divisions ETO 1944-1945.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 07:33 AM UTC
I recommend these two books:

US Armored Divisions - The European Theater of Operations, 1944-45 by Steven J. Zaloga (Osprey P{ublications ISBN: 1-84176-564-3). It's very good for the modeler interested in modeling particular vehicles from specific units.

US Army Atlas of the European Theater in World War II (Barnes & Noble Books ISBN: 0-7607-5214-1). This is a large format (coffee table sized) book that probably won't fit in many bookcases - but I like it anyway. This is a compliation of 137 full-color maps created by the staff of the US Army Center for Military History, and covers seven major campaigns in Europe. The Breakout from Remagen is covered by a large tactical map.

HTH
Gunnie
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC
If you want a good, blow-by-blow account of the taking of the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen, get a copy of "The Bridge at Remagen" by Ken Hechler. It's probably the best account of the battle, and is pretty inexpensive to find in paperback.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I've recently found out that some of the Tk Coys, or individual platoons were equipped with the Pershings so I am making some headway.
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. I've recently found out that some of the Tk Coys, or individual platoons were equipped with the Pershings so I am making some headway.

But at the time of the taking of the bridge the Shermans had to go across because the Pershings were too wide
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

According to that book I quoted the Pershings were in the 14th tank batt and provided fire support from the hills overlooking the bridge.

PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

According to that book I quoted the Pershings were in the 14th tank batt and provided fire support from the hills overlooking the bridge.

Do you know if the 14th Tk Battalion was completely equipped with Pershings or just some of the platoons? I presume the complete battalion but would like to check.

I am on a limited budget so cannot get hold of some of the books that are mentioned.

What type of Shermans equipped the other battalions?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
[quote

Do you know if the 14th Tk Battalion was completely equipped with Pershings or just some of the platoons? I presume the complete battalion but would like to check.

I am on a limited budget so cannot get hold of some of the books that are mentioned.

What type of Shermans equipped the other battalions?[/quote]

In other spots of the book is mentions the 9th was equipped with M4A3 models, but doesn't mention if they were 76mm, HVSS, or what. In the section on the Pershing it mentions that only a limited number were assigned to each AD. Best guess is that they wouldn't have had enough for an entire battalion, probably just a company of them, which might also be broken up so that each company could have one platoon of them.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
I saw a 35th scale dio of the Remagen bridgehead at the Nationals in Okla CIty a few years back. They were just doing the German side with the tower and a little ground work underneath and behind. It was about the size of one of those 3 x 6 folding tables. Had about 20 - 30 vehicles and about 60 figures. If you are on a limited budget, you better look at 72nd scale and still plan on several hundred dollars woth on stuff. Best way I know o to accomplish such a huge undertaking s to join a club with about 10 or so other members.