_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
wash technique
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi all.
Im looking for a bit of advice on oil washes.
Im working on aircraft but the techniques are the same.
Ive used washes on the underside/wings etc and Im fine with applying these washes/mixes etc.
Heres the question.
When I wash the "outside" of I plane I wipe the wash off in the direction of the airflow and it works fine,but how do I wipe the wash off,(or DO i wipe it off), when Im washing lets say,,the inside of a cockpit?
Thanks everyone
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
the other way is to do a pin wash where you just use a pointed brush and gently place it on the raised areas you wish to wash around rather then do the whole thing.

Cheers
Cliff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the other way is to do a pin wash where you just use a pointed brush and gently place it on the raised areas you wish to wash around rather then do the whole thing.

Cheers
Cliff

I find this technique that Cliff mentioned the most effective for me. I find it works alot better when the wash is made out of artist oils thinned heavily with turps. On a gloss coated kit, the wash runs along the gaps like its got a mind of its own..i kid you not!
Hoss
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 07:21 AM UTC
I too am a novice when it comes to washes. I am curious, what are the steps if I want to paint with acrylics? Do I seal with future, then apply the wash or what? Help?

Hoss
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I too am a novice when it comes to washes. I am curious, what are the steps if I want to paint with acrylics? Do I seal with future, then apply the wash or what? Help?

Hoss

If you gloss coat the wash works better. Future is a gloss coat so I would assume you put the future on then do the washes. I do not use future instead using Humbrol gloss varnish.

The reason you use the gloss coat first is so you have a smoother surface for the wash to run more freely as Matt paint has lots of hollows and dips in it's surface. Remeber also that the wash is more a colored thinner rather then a paint.

Cheers
Cliff
ModelmakerBL
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 113 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 09:10 PM UTC
I agree with Jermy on this one.
 _GOTOTOP