Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Upgrading to Windows XP
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC
Since I'm using Windows 98, an operating system that's 8 years old - I'm finally going to upgrade to Windows XP by the end of the month. My current system is:

Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz
20 gig hard drive
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Either 512 or 768 megs of RAM (the newer stuff is PC3200)
Sound card is integrated with the motherboard, made by MSI or something like that.

Due to budgetary constraints, I'll be getting the WinXP Home edition upgrade.

Anyone have some tips for the upgrade? I've already started to backup all the essential files onto CDs, and am counting on losing anything I don't backup. My other questions are:
- After I've got everything backed up, should I format the hard drive and use the HP recovery discs that came with the computer to get it back to Windows 98 - and then install the XP upgrade?
- I understand that I'll need to register windows online after installation, is this true?
- I've already heard that upgrading to XP from 98 is a pain in the butt. Please, someone, say it ain't so...

Thanks in advance for your help!
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:23 PM UTC
Yoda:

Congrats on the change. You will notice a huge change in bootup time. U have already taken teh correct steps in backing everyhting up. I would format the hard drive because 98 and XP use different file storing algorithms. XP's is much more efficent (NTFS) compared to 98's (FAT).
U will have to activate online or u can use a phone. You dont have to register it I think.

Hope this helps

Brian

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Take a look at this Microsoft Support article. This should give you a starting point.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
Make sure you have the latest and greatest versions of any and all drivers, take your time and READ all on-screen instructions.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:04 PM UTC
After you are done upgrading to XP, make sure you use Windows Update do download and install all security updates/patches from Microsoft. Hopefully you have a decent Internet connection because over dial-up it may take you a week to download all that stuff.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC
set all upgrades to automatic, that way ya don't have to worry about msn upgrades.....

i had 982nd edition for years, and the upgrade was best ever.......

easy to use, almost like 98se, and easier to navigate methinks.....

good deal, and you should do all things said above reference divers, and for registration, it is a must, and a one time deal, meaning noone else can use ya disc to do theirs......

enjoy

reb
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
I did a 98SE to XP Prof upgrade -- no problem.

Back Up all files. One thing I do is keep a separate folder for al the updates to my separate programs so I can bring them up to speed easily.

Find all your software keys, registration ids, passwords, etc that yoy got with purchased software so you can re-install ...

Go out & get all the driver updates for all your hardware before you start the upgrade -- put them on a CD or floppy so you can get to them during the upgrade. This includes your basic HP(?) utilities, etc ...

If you can, get the XP Service Pack before you start so you can bump it up right away ...

I think I just let the XP pacakge reformat the drive & all that -- ie, don't reformat & reinstall 98 -- just go for it in XP ...

John
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
Greetings Yodaman........

congrats on the system upgrade...it's about time

ok..to answer some of your questions

1. you have many options to format the hd...if u're using the old hd then u may use the xp setup cd to format it for u.the setup will ask u to write the data to the had..choose format... then u have another 2 choice a. use FAT32 or b. ntfs volume. Both volume work best but with ntfs, u can get extra security settings. this is important if you;re on the net 24-7. but ntfs will slower the system a bit (only by 5-10% based from my knowledge..)
so basically u dont have to use your HP recovery Cd to perform setup. Just use your new xp setup cd.
make sure u got the service pack (sp) 2. but if u got the sp 1 version, free upgrade to sp 2 is available through online updates at microsoft website. but i dont think sp1 is available in the market today..

register with Microsoft is optional...

the rest are answered by our wonderful members here
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 05:58 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I haven't been around the site much in the last year, but when I do make it back I'm reminded why this is the best forum community on the 'net!

I stopped at Staples last night and bought the upgrade edition (with SP2)- as expected, it cost me a little over $100. Also got a 50-pack of CD-Rs for backing up files.

It is handy that I can format the hard drive within the XP setup!

I'll be backing up files and downloading drivers (here at work, where we've got a nice cable connection). When the upgrade happens, I'll post updates on how it went.

Yes, I am way overdue for the upgrade to XP - and there's really only 3 characters that gave me the swift kick in the butt to atually shell out the $$$ for it: C&C. Command and Conquer - The First Decade is coming out in February. It's a DVD set that has every Command and Conquer game ever made (with expansions). Yes, I know I'm a geek.

Thanks again!
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
I was a 98SE die-hard -- hung with it until summer 2003, but finally felt I needed to reinstall & decided to go to XP.

I'm glad I did & love XP Pro.

BTW, I still have my Office 97 however ....

John
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
This may sound like silly question. We have two cpomputers that run on XP and a third that uses 98. I want to use the 98 machine as a back up storage unit, but I was wondering if the software that came with my sony vaio would contain XP that could be installed on the 98 computer?

Darryl
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC
Well, Saturday was the big day! For some reason, I woke up at the buttcrack of dawn to finish writing all of my backup CDs - and by noon, Windows XP was up and running on my computer.

Did a new install, and activated by phone. It's nice to have 35 gigs of hard drive space free.

The only snafu was that XP didn't recognize the soundcard that was built-in to my motherboard. After searching online and not finding the drivers (because I don't have the CD on-hand), I went to WalMart and got a $30 creativelabs card.

Now I can run Quake 4, Doom 3, Empire at War and all the cool stuff... :-) And my computer now boots up in about 60 seconds, as opposed to 3 - 4 minutes with 98SE. I'd have to say, it's almost worth the upgrade cost... almost...

Quoted Text

This may sound like silly question. We have two cpomputers that run on XP and a third that uses 98. I want to use the 98 machine as a back up storage unit, but I was wondering if the software that came with my sony vaio would contain XP that could be installed on the 98 computer?

Could you use that software to install XP? Possibly.

Would it really work? Probably not. The new thing about XP is that is must be "activated" within 30 days, or it stops working. The activation process also makes sure that XP can only be installed on one computer.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:34 PM UTC
You can network the PC's together and Use the 98 based one for storage that way.........