Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
AFV: "live" track vs. "dead"?
A-109E
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Just out of curiosity, and perhaps also for historical reasons, I'm wondering what the relative merits and demerits of the "live" track are versus the "dead" track.

For example, the M4 Sherman had its drive sprockets up front which created tension on the upper run of track, the so-called "live track", if I'm not too far wrong and understand the terms correctly.

The M-60 had its drive sprockets in the rear which kept the upper run of track slack. Since most AFVs today use this system I wonder what the advantages are. I can see that this simplifies the drive system by keeping the engine, transmission, and cross-drive unit all together in the rear which in turn lowers the silhouette of the vehicle since there is no Sherman-like drive shaft running forward through the fighting compartment.
What, exactly, does this system do for the tracks?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:14 AM UTC
First off, welcome to our little home on the Web!
(For those who don't know, Mr. Bob Steinbrunn is one of the best aircraft modelers there is ... he also does some darn fine WW I figure vignettes.)

In answer to your question, a "dead track" simply means a track with the shoes linked together under no pressure. When a dead track is laid out on the ground, it will lay flat. A "live track" are linked together with a torque linking the shoes, usually done with rubber bushings under pressure. When live tracks are laid on the ground, they will curl up at the ends because of the torque.

Many modern AFVs have live tracks, which is probably why you have been led to believe the reason is the placement of the drive sprocket.

You've pretty much outlined the reasons for sproket placement -- it is preferred to have them on the end closest to the engine to avoid running the drive train the length of the vehicle and thus take up valuable interior space and raising the vehicle profile (as in the Sherman, the Panther, and many, many other WWII tanks). The Soviets and the British designs, however, went for keeping the drive train as short as possiblet. Eventually, everyone went with this idea .

That is really the only advantage to having the sproket at the front or rear. The U.S. M113 and Israeli Merkava both have engines in the front and so are the drive sprockets -- on the end closest to the engine.

Hope this helps.
A-109E
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Thanks very much for both the welcome and the kind words, Bob. I appreciate this, plus your explanation on the tracks.

Hope to see you in Kansas City in August!