Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Which un-built kit has 4-ever been on your...
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:01 AM UTC
Ok, now here is, I think an interesting topic, which kit did you begin to build at one time with the full intention of completing it. Only to sit on your work desk, half finished or at some point of construction, never to built again.

Mind you, you have built other kits since then, but just move that "ONE" around to make room for your current project.
I have a two, one is the tamiya pnzr II, almost finished, just put it down and just look at it now,,,,,sigh. Been their so long, its BECOME a part of the desk, cant build it NOW !!

The other, the 1/144 dragon leopold, just sitting thier with the main gun extended, waitng for the day to be called upon to rain terror.
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC
Tamiya 1/350 USS Enterprise. It was just too big...
Kyle
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:22 AM UTC
nice topic Spades..

at one time i have the 1/350 USS Enterprise...but the ship is now being rebirth again as i enroll for flat top campaign..
so my long time unbuild kits are 1/72 revell Tornado .... partly assembled..

i have a lot more but my new year resolution was to build many of my unbuild kits..so most of the kits are now in assembly line...
only the kit mentioned above is still like that...unbuild maybe 4ever..hehe
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:26 AM UTC
:-) :-) :-) good question, I have Monograms 1/24 "Num Tour of Duty " UH-1B Huey that's been sitting here the last 14 years, the interior only has been started. Every so often I open the box and dry fit parts, but thats the extent of it. Someday
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:32 AM UTC
Academy Tiger I with the full interior. I finished the interior and am pleased with it, but I'm afraid to finish the outside because of the dreaded zimmerit. I'd rather have a really cool interior with an unfinished exterior as opposed to a really cool interior ruined by a zimmerit disaster. One day, I swear I'll finish it.

Patrick
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:59 AM UTC
My Perless Max Dragon Wagon is mine.I've had it almost 20 years.With the Tamiya one out there is in no way it will ever be built.

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:21 PM UTC
Umm..... lots

Probably the standout being the Tauro A7V - who'd have though it?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:50 PM UTC
Heller 1/35th Super Frelon (ten years) and the Verlinden 1/15th M113 (8 years)

One for lack of references and one waiting until I get my resin kit 'chops' up to the task.

Mike
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Ola Fun topic

Well I also have 2 kits.

One is just as Patrick the Academy Tiger 1 with full interior. I started assembling the inside which was completely handpainted. Then I wanted to do the outside and was scared away by the zimmerit. Then I decided to put it away for when I found out a good way of doing Zim and waiting till I had an Airbrush. Well ever since I learne a couple of good ways of adding zimm and I have an Airbrush for quite some years now ( I actually have several) Still haven't finished it.
The other is the old Dragon Hummel. When I started it I found out that the kit was not as good as other Dragon kits I built and put it away till my skills were better to tackle the job. Well It still is in the closet right on top of the Academy tiger. Both are already there for more then 7 years now.

No idea when or even IF I will finish it.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
Nice twist on an good question.

Mine 'never to be completed' model has to be Revells (I think it's 1/72 scale) B-52. I'm not really a modern guy, I got this as a gift. I started it as a 'filler' project and boy did use Filler. This kit is a dog, fit problems everywhere. Plus this thing needs it's own zip code its so big. I'm looking at the 1/2 done excuse to use putty and am wondering - IF I ever finish it - where am I going to put it?

There it sits - 1/2 done, no desire to even open the box......
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
I bought the Revell CV-8 Hornet, Doolittle Raid back in the SIXTIES!!! I cut off the lower hull to make it waterline, painted 4 of the 16 B-25s, and it's been like that for closing in on 40 years!!!!!

I also have the "Thermopylae" sailing ship which got as far as partial hull painting and is still in the box, along with an untouched CSS Alabama of the same vintage, probably early 70s.

Hey, at least I finished the Kearsarge!!!!! :-) :-)
Tom
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
AMT/Aurora? 1/48 B-26. Won it in a raffle back in the late '70's. Started to build it in the late '80's. Four moves later it sits in a box with the wings glued together, filled and sanded. The fuselage is glued together, filled and sanded. The engines have to be replaced, real B-26s had 18 cylinder engines, not 14. I don't want to glue the wings to the fuselage until I have a semi-permenent place for it.

Oh, did I mention I had to do a LOT of filling and sanding?
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
Wow Thataway, a kit for 40 years ??? So when you move you must take the time to pack it carefully as well huh??
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
Ooosh. I've got quite a few started and not finished.

There is one stand-out that has a bit of money invested in it and may never be finished. It's a Chinese T-69II in Iraqi service, circa Op Desert Storm.

It's a kit-bash of the Lindberg and ESCI T-55 kits, with an AEF resin conversion (turret, engine deck, etc.), and On the Mark PE set, plus some parts from a Tamiya T-62A kit. I reckon I have about $80 sunk into this so far, plus hours of research and build/scratch time.

One of these days I might dig out all the stuff and finish it, but compared with the new Tamiya T-55A kit, plus all the Trumeter kits, this model is likely to never be entered in a show ... which it was intended for from the start.