_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hollowing out headlamps
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 02:43 AM UTC
I am hopeless at painting headlights, so I would like to take the next step and move to using lenses. What techniques are used to hollow out the lamps?

Is it a case of very carefully using larger and larger drill bits or are there some other techniques?

Thanks
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hey Lance,
Yes I would use a drill bit. First I'd find the center and using a small bit to start out, then going on to a larger bits to the size hole needed. Going about this way will have a less chance of damaging the small part. Then I would paint the inside hole silver and covering it with a clear piece of plastic.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
As Mother said find the centre and use bigger and bigger drill bits till you have the size you want. Then add your store bought lens.

You can also if the cut is not too big just twist the drill bit in your hand rather then use a drill or pin vise.

Cheers
Cliff
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
How would you scratch build the convex lense besides using vaccum form or store bought ones?

WC
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
I don't even find it necessary to use progressively larger bits. I start by finding the center with a new #11 blade, and then using the appropriately sized bit, remove the plastic lens. Most bits have the perfect bevel to allow a drop fit for an MV lens.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
After i hollow out the light i paint it silver and than i add a few drops of testors clear window maker glue works pretty good.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 03:32 AM UTC
Ben,
I once did a set of convex lenses by heating up a piece of clear plastic, but not to a point that it melts. Then laying it down on a piece of firm foam, I used the end of a paint brush and lightly pressed it into the plastic. Once it cooled I punched it out with a hole punch and sanded them down to the size I needed.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 04:14 AM UTC
After I find the center, a small pilot hole, then rounded out with a round headed dremil bit.
If I don't have, can't find the right size MV lens, a little bare metal foil burnished in place, (or even kitchen foil pushed in with a Q-tip, will do) For the lens, a drop of 5 minute epoxy, mixed gently to avoid air bubbles, will dry clear, and make a nice lens.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
hollowing out the lamps would certainly give it a more realistic look but if you are after a shorter and no drilling method, try painting the lamp with chrome silver at first as a base coat, leave to dry and than coat it with a thin layer of clear coat ( coloured if they are brake lamps) and then apply a wash.
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have some to practice with.. (my last model lost its headlamps due to combat damage +)

Jeremy,

Would you paint the headlamp the vehicle colour first then weather, and then do the silver and clear? One of the problems I have with painting them is masking them... My first armor model (the only one I have completed so far) I painted the vehicle leaving the headlamps off. I then painted the headlamps the base colour, painted the 'lamp' light grey, drybrushed white (had grids on the lenses) then applied about 6 coats of future. Once the vehicle was done and weathered I installed the headlamps. Worked... OK only due to the grid pattern.

I now am building the Italeri Crusader MK1 and none of the lamps have a grid making them so far look wrong... The turret lamp and main spotlight at the center of the hull are giving me the most grief as they are so large, the turret lamp especially as it is such a big lense in a small housing.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 05:25 AM UTC
These are painted headlights:

There is no silver used....
1. painted a light grey color
2. took white oil paint, and the enamel light grey, and progressively lightened the centers with dabs of white, until almost a pure white center.
3. after it all dried, several coats/drops of a gloss clear.

Oh Italeri M-20, out of the box.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeremy,

Would you paint the headlamp the vehicle colour first then weather, and then do the silver and clear?

I personally would always leave the weathering until last only because dirt, dust and rust are always the last to appear with any object so it seemed only fitting to mimic this in modelling. Basically i do paint the headlamp with the base coat, paint the lamp itself chrome silver and then several coats of gloss clear followed by weathering.

The use of chrome silver or grey is really a preference, both of which would work when done right.

In terms of painting the lamp, i used a really fine brush to apply the chrome silver colour.

WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the lens, a drop of 5 minute epoxy, mixed gently to avoid air bubbles, will dry clear, and make a nice lens.

Thank you old man! I guess wisdom do comes with age!

WC
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:26 AM UTC
For a convex lens I scooted to the art supplies shop, and bought a pack of small 'googly' eyes; you know, the ones with a white back, clear dome and the loose black pupil inside... There are many sizes to choose from; I carefully sliced the dome off with a scalpel (Watch out for your darn pinkies:) and glued over a silvered finish with white glue...
Just another option here...
Cheers
Brad
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:09 PM UTC
Thanks Brad... this idea is great too!

WC
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
You can also fill the headlight with clear epoxy.

Paul
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 06:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys... picked up some MV lenses today and the crusader is going to use a combination of MV and painted lenses. The hollowed lamps don't look too bad for first attempts.

Thanks
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
I find it quite easy with a round dental burr, run it VERY slow and start from a aprox center. Then just keep going round and round. But I stress, run it very slow. Just what the MicroDetailer is for

As for the reflector, well you all can guess what I use for that

I then use a clear gell (I use Ice-Coat, well I would ) I applied it to a small bit of scrap brass as the bulb, it dries clear then use a small drill end to punch out the glass from a thin scrap of clear plastic. If it has a white frost to it after punching , warm it in hot water or a flick with a flame with clear it as seen.

Add an outer ring of thin fuze wire and drop that into a hollowed out headlamp

Alasdair

PS I am connected with the product shown
 _GOTOTOP