Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Junk, clutter, crap - Serious!
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:27 AM UTC
I have too much stuff - I think we all do.

This has been bothering me lately; I want to simplify and get rid of things I don't need but it's very hard to do and items keep appearing even when I try not to aquire new things.

I have tried to sell what I just can't hand over to the Good Will or Salvation Army and have found what you own, with a few exceptions, really isn't worth all that much - certainly not what you paid!

Books is a big one right now. I probably have over 1,000 - the bulk being non-fiction paperbacks. One thing I love are books and I can't stand getting rid of them but they take up a ton of space. And I wouldn't be able to finish each one if I sat down and started reading non-stop.

Is anyone else out there trying to reduce? So much of what we have is just garbage we will never use again but keep just in case we might have a sudden need. It's liberating to try and make a clearence, but harder than it seems.

Come on, I can't be the only one!

Steve

PS - Anyone want a giant box of old PC games? Imagine the money sunk in that one. Games played for a few months and quickly obsolete
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:06 AM UTC
Yep... know the feeling.....
My excess clothing, I bring down to the homeless mission.....
Household items go to the 'Sally"
A lot of kits etc, I send to youngin at the site....
(occasionally a few old gezzers too!!!)

As I get older.... I realize I'll never live long enough to build 90% of the stuff I've managed to collect over the years, and really feel sorry for the poor slugs who will have to clean the place after my demise..... so I guess it would be nice to start tossing crap now...... :-) :-) so I can buy more stuff I'll never live long enough to build.

My Name is Dave--- and I need another 12 step program...... :-) :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
You are not alone - I finally threw away some 5 1/4" floppy disks last year.
I take a phased approach to this. I have three piles of anything. 1. Current and used, 2. I think I'll really use it (in the next 6 months) 3. The stuff I really didn't use in pile 2.

Then about every six months or so I take the pile 3 and pitch or donate to goodwill. Then I move the stuff from pile 2 to 3 (that I didn't use) and from 1 to 2 and so on and so on and so on......
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
:-) :-) As for the comuter cleaning....... :-) :-)
I actually started removing programs I haven't used since............. 2002........
I'm still wondering where they came from, or why I installed them........ :-) :-) :-)
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 04:34 AM UTC
I betcha that I have nearly 300 old computer games, I bought so many and like you say, they're all obsolete now. Most are still in the box with the booklets etc. I took good care of that stuff.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 06:35 AM UTC
Yeah, I've got stuff, I've got clutter and I've got crap. Oh yes, do I have a lot of crap. This spring (or summer) I am going to have a yard sale or two. Whatever isn't sold is going to find a new home at the local dump. Like you I've had enough of this.

My wife is notorious for holding on to crap and then loading it into bins and storing them in the basement. Any time I ask her to tell me what she has stored in them she cannot name one thing.

My thought is...if you haven't used in a year you most likely will not use it so give it away or thrash it.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
Steve, I know the feeling.. I have a ton of stuff that is just taking up space... As far as books go, donate them to the local library.. Im sure they would be more then happy to take them..

Dave
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:28 AM UTC
My solution to the junk problem's been regular movement. In 2001 I moved to Germany and had to get rid of a lot of stuff (including a hoard of WW2 aircraft from my teen days, and a bunch of books). In 2003 I moved back to SL, repeating the process. This year I'm going back to Deutchland, so I'll be stripping the extra meat off again!