Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Modeling Breaks OK?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
I haven't built a model in about six monthes, and haven't worked on in about 2. Lately I have been busy getting ready for college which I start soon, and screwing around with my guitar. I guess what gets me is, if I stay away from it for too long will I not want to do it anymore?

~Chip
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:37 AM UTC
Chip,

What you are going through is perfectly normal. I've gone through months and sometimes years of not touching my models.

One thing I've learned is no to push myself if the desire isn't there. Eventually things will come around again.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:39 AM UTC
yep.... I went almost 12 months without building anything.......... you'll get back into it.....
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
Okay, let me relate here.

I started modeling (seriously) in about 1978 or so. I started out crappy and worked up to pretty fair by 1986. I, then-abouts, found girls, cars, a good job, and a wonderful hobby that could (by my 17y.o. mind) pay for all of that and more! I was a musician! A glam-rock-heavy metal-poser keyboardist! The girls loved it. I became very un-enthused with modeling, as, girls and rock are much cooler than anti-social modeling! I boxed up the models, tools, sparesboxes and gave them to my 10 y.o. nephew, Jon.

Who lost/broke/blew-up 94.6% of it.(thelitllebas....)

Little did I know that 10 years later, I would want all those pieces and tools and paints.

I am relating all this to make a point.
It's okay to put it aside for awhile. Go to college, get an education, a diploma and then a great career to cover the costs that returning to the hobby entails. Always take a shot at rock and roll god, 'cause the chicks dig it!
Box up your models carefully, mark "do not destroy!!!" on them and put them in a nice cool place in your mother's attic. Right where they will be safe.
Put your tools and stuff in another box and do the same with it.

Then, do whatever! (Go with Rock God, man!!!)

Come back later, we'll ALL still be doing this.

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
I sometimes find it hard to juggle between school, my girlfriend, dirtbiking, paintballing, some skateboarding.
I have to choose the cegep im attending next year.

And well, girls are expensife! so is Skateboarding and dirtbiking!( ) so i find myself having to work also to pay up so sometimes giving up on a hobby is an option and thats pretty much were im at with skateboarding and give up my guitar, i have a realy nice bc rich warlock with the black widow head and a roland cube 30 amp and gave it away to a friend of mine who desperatly needed one( the kid was talented and didnt have much$ so i sold it cheap... il buy it back when it goes for sale lol)

But its normal, things change. People divorce after 20 od years for that reason.

Good luck in college
Frank
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:08 AM UTC
[quote] Okay, let me relate here.

I started modeling (seriously) in about 1978 or so. I started out crappy and worked up to pretty fair by 1986. I, then-abouts, found girls, cars, a good job, and a wonderful hobby that could (by my 17y.o. mind) pay for all of that and more! I was a musician! A glam-rock-heavy metal-poser keyboardist! The girls loved it. I became very un-enthused with modeling, as, girls and rock are much cooler than anti-social modeling! I boxed up the models, tools, sparesboxes and gave them to my 10 y.o. nephew, Jon.

Who lost/broke/blew-up 94.6% of it.(thelitllebas....)

Little did I know that 10 years later, I would want all those pieces and tools and paints.

I am relating all this to make a point.
It's okay to put it aside for awhile. Go to college, get an education, a diploma and then a great career to cover the costs that returning to the hobby entails. Always take a shot at rock and roll god, 'cause the chicks dig it!
Box up your models carefully, mark "do not destroy!!!" on them and put them in a nice cool place in your mother's attic. Right where they will be safe.
Put your tools and stuff in another box and do the same with it.

Then, do whatever! (Go with Rock God, man!!!)

Come back later, we'll ALL still be doing this.

Cuhail [/quote

What he says guy.You gotta go for it.The models,the hobby, will always be there......................................
Rock on!! :-)8
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:57 AM UTC
Perfectly normal!

This past year I've been a bit of a slacker (as illustrated by my lack of participation on the site). Between college, my girlfriend, and jobs, sadly, modelling has had to take the back burner.

Now that I've graduated and broken up with my girlfriend, I have a whole lot more time on my hands, and have blown the dust off of my models. I also found trying something totally new helps a bit, and have started dabbling with aircraft a bit.

I have a feeling that this union maybe short-lived though. I decided to go back to college to get another degree and start up again in two weeks.