_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Clear Coat, Semi-Gloss, Gloss
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 08:57 AM UTC
Guys...I have been rather active on this website and I have a lot of questions

I have some new questions....

1) I apply gloss to the area to I put my decal... then
2) I spray semi-gloss to the whole model....and started my weathering...but the model is still slightly "shiny"....

3) I am thinking of applying a layer of clear coat...will this help in reducing the shine?

BTW, when do we use gloss coat, semi-gloss and clear ? About the Testor dull cote ? Is the testor dull cote the same as the clear from Mr Hobby ?....
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

3) I am thinking of applying a layer of clear coat...will this help in reducing the shine?

Depends what kind of clear coat you are referring to. There are Flat clear coats and gloss clear coats. The former is the one you need. Spraying a layer or 2 of this should help reduce the show room shine.

Quoted Text

BTW, when do we use gloss coat, semi-gloss and clear ?

I normally spray a layer of gloss coat right before apply decals and my washed. Once those are applied, i then apply a layer of flat clear coat to seal it down and reduce the shine.

That is just one of the ways i choose to do it.
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, when do we use gloss coat, semi-gloss and clear

I normally spray a layer of gloss coat right before apply decals and my washed. Once those are applied, i then apply a layer of flat clear coat to seal it down and reduce the shine.

That is just one of the ways i choose to do it.

Jeremy,

thanks....I know on the some website there is mail order Mr Hobby Clear, and Mr Hobby Gloss...

I assume your technique should work for me if I apply a layer of gloss follow by a layer of clear, the shine would go away....have you had any experience with that brand ?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume your technique should work for me if I apply a layer of gloss follow by a layer of clear, the shine would go away....have you had any experience with that brand ?

Im sorry ive never used that brand before but for my gloss clear, i use the tamiya X-22. For the flat clear, i use another brand which appears to be only found in NZ as ive never heard anyone else mention the brand. Dont have it infront of me at the moment but i can pull it up when i get home if you need it.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC
If you want a compeletely non-shiny model, you're going to have to apply a flat/matt coat. Testors Dulcote is a laquer flat coat. Works fine out of the rattle can. It won't change the color of the model, but it will take the shine away.

I've recently started using an acrylic flat through my A/B, but I can't recall the name right now.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
Testors MM makes some great flat,semi-gloss and gloss coats in acrylic I only use that stuff The flat will dry dead flat
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 03:07 AM UTC
Phillip I don't use anything semi-gloss or gloss paints unless I am doing a car or a civilian ship (about once every 2 -3 years). I bought a bottle of Future to use for two reasons. 1. it helps decals lay flatter and smoother hopefully eliminating or greatly reducing silvering and as I us enamels it puts a non-reactive layer btwn my paint job and the paint thinner based washes I do. I let everything set up for a day or so (all decaled and washed) and then apply dullcoat (I prefer testor's rattle-can variety). The term clear coat to me implies a special treatment used in the automotive paint area for real and now model cars
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Phillip I don't use anything semi-gloss or gloss paints unless I am doing a car or a civilian ship (about once every 2 -3 years). I bought a bottle of Future to use for two reasons. 1. it helps decals lay flatter and smoother hopefully eliminating or greatly reducing silvering and as I us enamels it puts a non-reactive layer btwn my paint job and the paint thinner based washes I do. I let everything set up for a day or so (all decaled and washed) and then apply dullcoat (I prefer testor's rattle-can variety). The term clear coat to me implies a special treatment used in the automotive paint area for real and now model cars

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advise....I read in some article about good weathering tips....the surface would be satin....does satin means it is suppose to semi-gloss ?

However, when I spray semi-gloss, the vehicle becomes darker and slight glossy....and I wander if I am doing the right thing....

For your case, how to do protect your base coat after your have air-brush them...do you just apply a layer of dull cote and gloss to the area you want to apply decal ?

Thanks for your help again....

In this
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
I spray the whole thing with Future; affix the decals; spray again with Future; Then use either Polly Scale dull coat or MM acryl dull coat. It is FLAT at that point. I usually end up with a slight sheen after I weather as I use oil fot the washes and drybrushing. Hope it helps.
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP