Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
My gov't is trying to kill me.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi guys

I don't make a habit of talking about personal problems. I pretty much try solve those types of problems with as little help or attention as I can. This time, is different. This time I want to make as much noise as I can. I'll explain. I am disabled. I have a number of health problems that require me to take up to 15 -20 pills a day, without which I'm done. Up to today, 12 -31 -05 the state of Ohio through its Medicaide program paid for my meds.
Starting on Jan 1st 2006 and thanks to my Gov't that programs ends. The retired, and the disabled have been erolled in a Federal program called " Medicare part D" The program turns over drug cost to private companies. Now I don't understand all the details, in fact I have yet met anyone who does. What I do know is that that company that I have been assigned to will only cover three of my meds the rest must come out of pocket. Oh by the way, it would take me and my roommate around 5 to 6 months to make enough to pay for 30 days of my uncovered meds. They say I can "change plans" "Compare companies" but nobody that I've talked to can tell me just how to do this.! I was a cop for 10 years before I got sick. I know the world ain't fare sometimes, but this, just ain't right. Sorry guys I just needed to vent somewhere where my kids can't hear. Thanks for reading

Harry

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:20 AM UTC
sorry to hear come over here at least the health care is free!
best of luck for next year!
Triple_M
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hello, Harry

I'm very sorry to hear that.
I think it wouldn't hurt if you took some time to search on the internet for legal aid NGOs in the US.
I don't know if you got your problems while fulfilling your law enforcement duties and, if so, maybe you could get counselling from an attorney specialized in labour accidents who will look into your job's rights and duties framework and tell you if there's a chance to sue the state. If that's possible he can do it for free and take a share in a possible indemnification ordered by court.
Aren't there veteran cops' associations catering to the needs of people like you? Even if not in your state, check for others
No matter what, keep fighting! Go to the press, write to your representatives, search for organizations, make noise and get noticed!
It is revolting to see how the authorities reward those who served them!
I wish you all the best, don't lose your hope!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 05:09 AM UTC
Harry,

This really bites and I think I know where you are coming from. My wife takes arthritis medicine without which she is crippled and cannot get out of bed. Luckily the meds are covered by my health insurance for now. If they weren't, I would have to pay around $2400 a month to cover the cost.

I definitely feel for you. I don't know what options you have but have you looked at getting some of those meds from Canada?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 07:32 AM UTC
Ah yes ladies and gentlemen, you have got to love the United States of America for it's impressive health care benefits. Oh yes, I am being sarcastic.

I'm a disabled retiree, so I'm covered. My wife and son are too for the most part. I'm not concerned about us; but what about the folks that ARE NOT former military? I work at a major retailer here and from speaking with my fellow associates about the costs I wonder how the hell they do it. It's frickin crazy.....were I in that position, we'd almost have to move in with the in-laws in Germany to survive.

The Europeans have it figured when it comes to health care; the U. S. is still in it's infancy. Bummer.

Mike
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
I'm sorry but when you say the government who do you think pays. The government doesn't pay for your meds. The companies and people who pay taxes pay for your meds.

As for this new medicade they have been advertising for months for people to check into it and find the best plan. What have you been doing?

wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi folks

Thanks for the replys Steve, I know where the money comes from, and believe me I'm very gratful for it. As far as what I have been doing ? In the past 8 months I've talked to three different case workers, a social worker, my family doctor, along with my renal doctor and my druggest. Who by the way said the goverment had sent him a "small suit case full of paperwork" on the program and he still can't figure it out. Sir this not a problem that I just woke to today. I've been talking to calling, writing, and e-mailing anyone I can think of since last spring. I'm not looking for a handout or any sympathy. I just want to find someone, anyone who understands this cluster#@$ of a program., and can tell what to do.
Guys please forgive me, I did not mean to lose my temper, and Steve I'm not mad at you. This is the final buildup of months of being ran in circles.

Harry
Triple_M
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hi Harry,

Excuse me for insisting, but sometimes all that red tape and paperwork is best deciphered by lawyers... Don't rule out the possibility of some legal counsel.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:23 PM UTC
Medicaid Part D is one of the worst programs ever devised. It is geared for the elderly and disabled yet the paperwork to understand is essentially undecipherable. People were supposed to get information in October. By the beginnig of December it had not gone out and the program was going into effect at the end of the month. People who've been to multiple trainings come away confused. My wife and I both work in the field of mental retardation and have had to watch this develop. What people were expected to do on short notice is compare plans to see which one covered the most of heir meds. As Harry says, supposedly, yyou can change plans monthly. Like that's not going to be a major mess. Clearly it was bought and paid for by the insurance companies to the deteriment of the people who need it the most and can understand it the least.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi guys
Being a Brit it all confusses me reading this,the system at home has its good siide and bad side .
My dad had a mate who was really badley wounded during the war in total over the years he had about 50 operations and in effect was left with one good arm and a workable but damaged right leg,he started haveing probs with the damaged leg and the medical people advised him to have it removed which he did so now he is down to one arm....the benifits people came to assess him made him walk around with his two false legs filled some forms out the next thing George finds out is that his benifits would be cut because his mobility is better work that one out.
My dad is taking it up with our local MP who could not belive it and in the mean time George has sent his medals to Tony Blair and told him to stick them where the sun dont shine i wonder if they will do this to the vets comming back from Iraq just blows my mind and he is 83.
Cheers Chris
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:41 AM UTC
I am not a doctor , pharmacist or even in the medical profession. That having been said, I don't know what all your medication are for but one alternative is to check out non-drug options. I did that rather than go to perscription. Cost difference $150. I have no insurance, medicare / caid. I am studying for the legal profession and I would say that that is one of your best options. The government fights every step of the way mainly I think to drive off folks that are fraud motivated, problem is what it does to the regular folks . I wish you quick and rapid results that are in your favor.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Medicaid Part D is one of the worst programs ever devised. It is geared for the elderly and disabled yet the paperwork to understand is essentially undecipherable.

Smoke and mirrors Al, smoke and mirrors. Everyone needs to keep their eye on the ball to catch what may really be coming down the pike.

I've avoided commenting on this issue for obvioius reasons...However, this whole issue is just one more that has stuck itself in my craw. it's going be to one of those that will go critical mass across the entire nation in short order. Once the budget cuts start coming home to roost, folks will find out they've been hosed yet again....and for what...really?

Harry, I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I pray each day that nothing happens to me because if it does, I'm screwed. I can't afford medical insurance either.

Hang in there my friend and remember there's an election coming, it is the one thing that those people do seem to understand...and I think that there's is more than enough folks truly disgusted with the current state of affairs to send a shot across the bow..or put one into the side of a career or two.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers Harry.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi guys

Thanks you for all the kind words. I am sorry I lost my temper the other night.

Mario, I've been trying to hold off seeing a attorney because of the cost. I'm saving as much as I can for meds. If all else fails though that will be my last option.

Steven, I cannot wait for the elections of 08. Forget just firing across the bow. I want to put a few into the broadsides of the every career Bush cronie who voted for this nightmare. Trust me friend win or lose, come 08 this story will make it to the press.

I was talking to my renal Doctor on Friday and I'm meeting with him again monday. He's been my lead Doctor since I first got sick back in 95. We have become good friends along the way, and he says he may know someone who can help me figure this out. I hope so. Guys I didn't mean to unload all this here. I know we have a very wide range of folks as members, and I figured maybe they could think of something I may have missed. Plus I needed a places to unload where I knew my kids could not hear. Thanks very much guys. I will let you know what I learn on Monday.

Harry
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:26 AM UTC
Harry, I feel your pain ...

My father-in-law lives with us & we spent at least two months on figuring out Medicare Part D for him. It is not something the elderly or computer-poor can do by themselves. Wifey & I have degrees in computers, math, statistics, & econ and were both operatiuons research analysts -- and we were confused !!!

We got a plan & found out that as of 1 Jan, we are the only ones in the area to have done so. The good news is that we will actually end up saving near a thousand a year, so it really isn't that bad, if you can figure it out. Of course much of that is dependent on each state & what is available there.

Here is basic trick -- if you plug in all your meds the websites will tell you only so many are covered but not which/what ...

So we plugged al his meds in one at a time & built up a matrix of which plans covered which drugs. Then we went back and focusedon the most expensive drugs to be sure they were covered.

We had already gone back & carefully calculated current costs, then we plugged in the boilerplate Medicare D plan with the costs we found above & figured which was cheaper ...

It ain't easy by any stretch but it can be done ...

Big hint -- focus on the expensive drugs .... Also go back to your doctor & review all your meds to be sure he has got you on the best cheapest drug that does the job -- we solved a couple problems in coverage when doctor agreed that a different drug which was covered would do the job ...

Having said all that, my sincere wish would be that all US Senators & representatives, plus their staffers, should personally man the help desks for htis, so any time during a session, the seniors could cane 'em ...

John
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:59 AM UTC
Harry,
I hope you can work this out, but you shouldn't have to.
I've been in the medical field all my life, first as a AF Medic and now working for a nursing home. People should be able to have health care. Period!
My best wishes to you. Don't give up. I wish I could do something to help you.
Chuck
Triple_M
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:58 PM UTC
Harry,

I found this website on the internet where you can select your county in Ohio to find legal aid services:

"Find Ohio Legal Help from an organization in your community that provides free or low-cost legal assistance to eligible Ohioans"

I have no idea what criteria are there to make Ohioans eligible, but I think it may be worth taking a look at.
Never forget to look upon legal counsel not only in a litigation perspective but in a broader sense, that will as well include that kind of finantial modeling John talked about. It's as much part of a lawyer's job as representing you in court.
And they have an healthcare section on the site.

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/OSLSA/PublicWeb/LegalSvcs/

All health systems seem to be hugely flawed. In the US there are people in your situation and here, a revolting 30,1% of drugs prescribed in Portugal are wasted (yes, I mean it, they're going to the trashbin), a sin commited by 48,7% of patients due to inadequacy of packages and -this is insane- to the patients' giving up the drug. All this happens thanks to an unholy trinity of greedy pharma industries (not to forget the corrupt doctors), ignorant (or maybe not) policymakers and spoiled citizens. People here can stuff themselves of drugs they don't really need and buy 60 pills packs to take 10 but people die while waiting (many years) in the waiting lists for surgery. Diabetics have to pay in part their material but drug addicts get syringes from the state for free... Welfare State or Liberal (in the true meaning of the word) State? Why don't they just invent the Good Governance and Common Sense State?

I wish from the bottom of my heart that you find a way to solve your problem, and I am sure you will.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 04:58 AM UTC
Hi guys

First let me say Thank you very very much. I have told many a new member that this site is a modelling family. Well folks this post has proven to me that this site is the real United Nations. A true multinational family.
When I first made this post the other night I was pretty much out of ideas. I had talked to written to just about anyone I could think of, and came up empty every time. The only information I was able to get was real basics, and that was of little help.
I posted the problem on the site as just a way to unload somplace where my kids could not hear me. I didn't think I would get a reply. Was not really expecting one. I not only got replys, I got help. Everything from web sites for legal service to ideas on working the gov't's web site to better ideas on getting through this mess. Most of all I got renewed strength to figure out this cluster%#$@k of a program. For that, I will be forever gratful.

Thank you again friends
Harry
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 07:09 AM UTC
Just saw a tv commercial for Walgreen's that said they would do basicily what jRatz did.
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 07:48 AM UTC
Harry:

Our pharmacy is CVS & they had a real good booklet out early that explained a lot to us better than the gov't stuff & newspapers & AARP & all that ...

Having said that, you should have gotten a Fed Medicare Part D booklet tailored to your state that lists all the plans within your state. If not, try your state website to see whaqt they have -- I'd try your state BC/BS because that's ultimately what we went to as the best deal ...

And all the drug offereing by plans are called their "formulary" -- that's what I was talking about when seing what drugs were covered ...

It isn't enough to compare premiums form old plan to new, because the co-pay will change, so you've got to factor that in ...

John
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

, so any time during a session, the seniors could cane 'em ...John

That seems to be a tradition with the senate floor and North Carolinians :-)
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

, so any time during a session, the seniors could cane 'em ...John

That seems to be a tradition with the senate floor and North Carolinians :-)

make that a proud tradition ...

John
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:20 AM UTC
LOL Obviously! :-) :-) :-)
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi guys

Well as far as a update goes I did see the ad for Walgreens the other night. and my nephew is going to give a ride up there on his day off next week. In the meantime both my roommate and myself have been on the phone calling a number of state agencies. We are starting to make a little headway as to tracking things down. The main sticking problem seams to be the number of drugs I'm on. {17]. I can find a company / plan that carries some but as yet I have not found one that carries them all. Thanks again folks, you may not know it but you have been a very big help, and I can't thank you enough.

Harry
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys

The main sticking problem seams to be the number of drugs I'm on. {17]. I can find a company / plan that carries some but as yet I have not found one that carries them all.

Harry,
I doubt you will ever find all of 'em on a plan.
Sort your drugs by cost & focus on the most expensive ones.
We found that even though a couple little cheapies weren't covered, we saved enough money on the big expensive ones to cover them.
John