_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Current Work in Progress
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

Currently working on a desert dio with Fallschirmjager Ramcke Brigade. My second go at Fallschirmjager camo but this time I'm trying to do the 3rd pattern smock.

First 2 pics are 2 fallschirmjagers, left one from Kirin I bought at 50 % off at HHQ with the Christmas Group buy. The right one is from the Ardennes DML set which I modified slightly by giving the cargo pockets more bulge and adding a cargo pocket to the left leg to make it tropical pants. Highlights/shadows only to the smock. Only the left one will be used in the dio.

The next 3 photos feature the 3rd pattern camo partially done. I have yet to add the very fine water drop lines. Don't know if it can be done. Highlights/shadows done but as you can see they don't really show up under flourescent light especially in the 3rd. photo with the para in plain tropical clothes.

Good learning experience. Still a ways to go with highlighting/shadowing. Thanks for viewing.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:19 AM UTC
...good one CK... the shading and camo looks fine.
how are you going to pose the figs and vehicles together for the dio? i assume you're doing the desert scene.. isn't it a bit warm to wear long sleeves?

btw have you found the 1/35 bike yet aaa?
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
CK,

Wah, I really admire your momentum, always have new thing to show us....... Don't know why, I do not have mood to build any model lately, the Nam vignette also have been stop for days... getting very lazy....
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the support. Jimbo you have a memory of an elephant or is it because you trying to get me to spend more money like Kenny.

I've actually given up the idea of including the bike in the dio for now. At the moment its going to have a Italeri Volkswagen (another favorite vehicle of mine), 2 officers looking over some maps over the vehicle, 1passing sentry (the middle para in the last pic), 1 smoking driver (the para on the left on my pic) and 1 para shaving over a drum. At first I thought maybe the smock was too thick but I've seen pics of smocks being worn possibly to block the UV, dust and the very cold nights. Also that's how the driver came from the Kirin kit which says Ramcke brigade.

Thomas I've also got into those "tak da mood days". My longest being 2 months. Maybe you can try to do smaller stuff. Actually the fig on the right will be mounted on a little block of wood that I got when the Home Ministry trimmed the jambu tree in our garden. When I saw the branch I "saw" this Fallschirmjager standing on it.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... or is it because you trying to get me to spend more money like Kenny....

.... it's been quite a pleasure... he he...

Quoted Text

I've actually given up the idea of including the bike in the dio for now. At the moment its going to have a Italeri Volkswagen (another favorite vehicle of mine), 2 officers looking over some maps over the vehicle, 1passing sentry (the middle para in the last pic), 1 smoking driver (the para on the left on my pic) and 1 para shaving over a drum.....

CK the driver para's (left fig 1st pic) pose seems like he's doing a dance-a-jig or something... is he trying to entertain his bored comrades? or did the desert heat caused him to go all loony? :-) :-)
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
Quite creative Jimbo. :-) Now that you mention it he does seem to be doing a dance of sorts. Now that's an idea.......Nah, then I'll have to sculpt a belly dancer to accompany him. A belly dancer.....no too much work.

He's actually getting out of a sidecar in the original kit. He and the motorcyclist both have smocks I suppose to block out the dust. Took me a while to figure how I'm going to pose him. So his left arm will lean against the mudguard while his foot will be either on the tire or the side floorboard. His right arm came off another figure and its suppose to hold a cigarette.

BTW did you read the review by Jimbrae on the MB Commandoes? The pose are nice but the moulding compared to regular DML is a bit poor at least that's how it looks from the pics. Might not get it. ESCI before they went bust had a set of 1/35 commandoes in very nice poses. Even had one with a dentonator box. Haven't seen it around but I saw the german paras ESCI set at HHQ. The moulding is about the MB's quality.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW did you read the review by Jimbrae on the MB Commandoes? The pose are nice but the moulding compared to regular DML is a bit poor at least that's how it looks from the pics. Might not get it.

ESCI before they went bust had a set of 1/35 commandoes in very nice poses. Even had one with a dentonator box. Haven't seen it around but I saw the german paras ESCI set at HHQ. The moulding is about the MB's quality.

i haven't bought any ESCI figs before (i'm not THAT old .. :-) )... well, i have italeri's sdkfz 10 with flak 30, and i think the flak crew figs used to be ESCI's- moulding and details are OK though i find its size more similar to 1/32 scale.

i think MB figs are ok (of couse DML are light years ahead), and someone mentioned before that you can use separate heads to make them look better. i might get one or two sets but i'm waiting for MB's more future releases, perhaps they will improve by then.

how about MiniArt fig sets? they have quite a few german and russian tank crews, but no paras la... i think they might be same quality and cost of MB figs... mmm...
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..........Nah, then I'll have to sculpt a belly dancer to accompany him. A belly dancer.....no too much work.

now, now... how much work can that be? you have to use 1 colour only ... that is, of course, if you want a bald belly dancer...
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:02 AM UTC
Jimbo a belly dancer can't be in one color. Besides a woman is a complex creature (hehheh) and a lot more work than a couple of Mongloid looking kiddies.

Still after you brought up the topic of King Kong, which suprisingly had a good local review, I've been thinking a fair bit of making a model of myself (a more macho version of course) and then making Naomi Watts and having both of us riding off into the sunset at 1/35 on a Italeri BMW. The operative word here being "thinking".

I'm sure if Kenny was around he'll go look up some super expensive modelling webpage which has a Naomi Watts model and then direct me to it.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Still after you brought up the topic of King Kong, which suprisingly had a good local review, I've been thinking a fair bit of making a model of myself (a more macho version of course) and then making Naomi Watts and having both of us riding off into the sunset at 1/35 on a Italeri BMW. The operative word here being "thinking".

....well CK, let me help you there...

1) the big bad BMW:

2) the adorable miss Watts herself... mmmmm....

3) plus, some sunset to get things in the mood....

:-) :-)
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
Ha......next to Kenny you have to be next best batu api Jimbo you, and Kenny must have been some sadistic Kempetai or SS officer in your past lives. However, I must admit the sunset photo does really set up the mood.

Actually my cruel friend, I was thinking of the sweet Miss Watts attaching herself to me on a BMW MINUS the sidecar. She with a head slightly tilted to the side and laughing while looking at me affectionately and myself looking ahead of course with a slight smile as our bike flies off a hump in the road. Oh yes, of course her blond hair will be blowing in the wind. Figured how to do it with foil and AB epoxy while taking a leak at the Nilai rest stop on my way back yesterday. Amazing how most of my inspirational ideas come during my nature visits.

I currently see 2 problems. One my sculpting skills have a long ways to go and second when the Home Ministry sees the figures she's going to be wondering:

(a) what's an ugly couple of civvies doing on a bike (that's if my skills are still poor when I start) OR

(b) why is Miss Watts attached to me on the bike rather than her (that's if my sculpting skills have improved tremendously).

Oh Yes, since this topic ORIGINALLY started with my camo work on Fallschirmjager I thought I should at least mention a tiny bit so we don't GO OFF TOPIC. Finished the water drop marks on the camo last nite. Will probably post some pics if they're completely done.

Have A Good Year Ahead, my friend.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 05:15 AM UTC
CK,

wa...i think you were really some kind of figure painting factory la.. so many updates and progress work. and thanks for sharing the work with us.
The cammo work look fantastic even i have no ideas of the scheme...i only know the tipical splinter pattern on the fallschimjager uniform. and having to hear that your're going to scuplt that pretty chicks on your bike makes me wonder what's another surprise that u will show us next........

Good luck in scuplting Miss Watt and if u finished her, pls duplicate a copy (or two..or more) to all of us here... i would love to put her on my next dio...imagine the gen2 (first set) were shooting at her coz she's the BOMB!!!

nice work CK...pls update us...

and happy new year to you all...

got to find nasik lemak
seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 07:01 AM UTC

I think i shall hijack this thread instead of using the previous 'status update' thread.

Ok, this is my work in progress. I had completed the guns assembly for now.
The mods i had made are:

1) drill out the gun barrels
2) drill out the solid gun sights and replaced it with wires for the crosshairs. I am not really sure the cross hairs are that simple as i believe it might consists of several concentric rings, but the original molded sights shows only the simple crosshairs.
3) Trigger wires on the back of the 4 guns assembly.

The ejector marks on the back of the armour plates are very pronounced and after the wash, become lagi prominent.
While waiting for the weathering to dry , i started on my Sepecat Jaguar.

sllim

edited by Silantra..now we can see it...something wrong with the URL... u have to follow the one in the URL box and add ur pic name...hmmm

seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC
Aik...now cannot pulak..

http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/13711/AckAck.JPG

Oh , ..itu macam
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 08:02 AM UTC
Lim, I see nothing. Perhaps Sil can help out here.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:40 PM UTC
hoiya Lim...

is that the AA gun for M16 GMC??

wow...really superb
the paint chipping and the white wash looks amazing. tell us in details how did u do that??
seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hoiya Lim...

wow...really superb
the paint chipping and the white wash looks amazing. tell us in details how did u do that??

Aisay man, how can u say for the M16? sedangkan the words German besar besar kat gambar sana.

The model is Item #35050, 8 ton half track .

I had learnt some lessons from my Russian T-34 in winter camouflage. Dont dab too much of the mask on . It makes the chips look too large.

Ok, for those who wants to learn .

1) I had built the guns in sub-assemblies to ease the painting. I didnt pre-shade but went on to spray the whole thing German Grey.

2) Use the rubber masking from Winstor and Newton . Tear out a piece of foam and 'very' gently dab the mask around the edges and on tops of panels. It is very important that u dun have uniform patterns !!! Dont soak the foam in the mask. It will definitely lay a big round glob of mask on the model. Leave it to dry. You can use mask from Humbrol as well

3) Break out your airbrush and spray a little of either desert yellow or buff on the edges of the mask laid down earlier. This will reduce the stark white if u spray only white later on.

4) Now spray the white on. Just take care of not laying down the white too thick. I had wondered on how they apply the white in the field in actual conditions. Is it hand painted on or sprayed on? After the white had dried, just rub the portions where u had put on the mask. It is very easy to pull the white paint to reveal the grey underneath.

5) Once everything had dried, apply your protective coating for weathering. I had put a wash of grey and earth colours . Then rust is applied ,followed by random scratches on the panels. No dry brushing though.

sllim
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

hoiya Lim...

wow...really superb

Aisay man, how can u say for the M16? sedangkan the words German besar besar kat gambar sana.

The model is Item #35050, 8 ton half track .

I had learnt some lessons from my Russian T-34 in winter camouflage. Dont dab too much of the mask on . It makes the chips look too large.

Ok, for those who wants to learn .

1) I had built the guns in sub-assemblies to ease the painting. I didnt pre-shade but went on to spray the whole thing German Grey.

2) Use the rubber masking from Winstor and Newton . Tear out a piece of foam and 'very' gently dab the mask around the edges and on tops of panels. It is very important that u dun have uniform patterns !!! Dont soak the foam in the mask. It will definitely lay a big round glob of mask on the model. Leave it to dry. You can use mask from Humbrol as well

3) Break out your airbrush and spray a little of either desert yellow or buff on the edges of the mask laid down earlier. This will reduce the stark white if u spray only white later on.

4) Now spray the white on. Just take care of not laying down the white too thick. I had wondered on how they apply the white in the field in actual conditions. Is it hand painted on or sprayed on? After the white had dried, just rub the portions where u had put on the mask. It is very easy to pull the white paint to reveal the grey underneath.

5) Once everything had dried, apply your protective coating for weathering. I had put a wash of grey and earth colours . Then rust is applied ,followed by random scratches on the panels. No dry brushing though.

sllim

haiya LIm....very sorry

memang aku perasan that german words but when i write i also look at your gallery..and ternampak your M16...that's why la

thanks for sharing the tips. i will try on my winter white wash half track also
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 09:16 AM UTC
Very nice work on the flak guns Lim. Looks like you’ve put quite a bit of work into it. To answer you question on white wash, as far as I know it was mainly hand painted in the field. White wash was used and not white paint because it was easier to wash it off in the summer.

Just out of curiosity, since I’ve never done any white wash except on house walls. Would it been easier or faster to just use a super diluted white acrylic paint applied with a broad brush in several coats? For finer paint chips I usually use a sharpened 2B pencil which I find gives a good aged metal look. For simulating recent scratches I usually use a spray of chrome silver followed by the basepaint and then I use a nail file or emory board as it is sometimes called (the ones women use) and brush it lightly over once the base paint is dry to expose the silver underneath. The emory board is good as it has a coarse grain side and a fine grain side. Just a thought.

Boss, thanks for your comments on my camo work. Actually there is only 1 splinter pattern for the Fallschirmjager. The 1st pattern smock was greenish grey (DML Gen 2 Holland Fallschirmjager) and this was followed by the 2nd. pattern which came out around 1941. The splinter pattern was either brown/green or brown/orange-brown on a tan (tropical) or green (Ardennes) background. The 3rd pattern isn’t really a third pattern but rather the same splinter design with a water droplet design over the background. The water droplet design were just fine, vertical greenish khaki lines.

I probably need to increase the % of green/brown splinters on mine.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 01:24 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,

With the holiday and a short period of sunshine I managed to take some pics of my work on the heads that will be used for my Ramcke Brigade vignette. All heads were painted with acrylics. There's still room for improvement as I still need to improve on the blending.

The first pic are DML heads. I'm just using the 2 right heads and the most likely the far left head. The one in the center will be used in a different figure. The 2nd. from the left was leftover from my Cassino vignette.

The next one are Kirin heads. I will probably use the right 2. The left one's helmet is still not painted yet. They're slightly bigger than DML so it will be tricky putting them together. As I mentioned in my post under the "Status" thread here Kirin do make very nice resin figures although it appears slightly on the big side.

All comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:49 AM UTC
nice job CK... looking fwd to see them mated to their bodies.... using a bare-headed fig (no helmets/caps) adds some interest as well....

btw any progress pics on the triumph?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:21 AM UTC
Thanks Jimbo. Noticed you were away for a while last week. It was quiet as there was no one I could continue my thread on Naomi Watts (hehheh).

I'm saving the Triumph until I can get more practice on my airbrush. Seeing as I don't do AFV, planes, ships except for the odd softskin vehicles since I started back to modelling it may be a while before I improve my airbrush skills.

BTW the barehead guy who has black hair has since been converted to brown hair. Looks better brown. I'm trying to figure out how to simulate shaving cream on his face as he will be the shaving guy in the dio. Any ideas?

What are you submitting for Move It 2 campaign?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are you submitting for Move It 2 campaign?

ah, so you noticed... i'm going to do AFV club's US army 6x6 medium truck WC-something... are you joining too? btw saw KK last week and NW was really yummy... he he... seriously the movie was quite good...
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:29 AM UTC
Ah Yes NW. Since we are already off topic. I'll have to mention the rest of My Favorites list, Julianne Moore, Ashley Judd & Marisa Tomei (yeah I know most of them all oldies but goodies).

On to a more related topic, the 6x6 truck should be nice especially if you include in the accessories from Tamiya for the truck. Me I going to put my little VW beetle which will be used in my dio later. Almost done with it and probably include it without the dio. Gotta to love those balloon tyres. Is your truck done up yet?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On to a more related topic, the 6x6 truck should be nice especially if you include in the accessories from Tamiya for the truck. Me I going to put my little VW beetle which will be used in my dio later. Almost done with it and probably include it without the dio. Gotta to love those balloon tyres. Is your truck done up yet?

CK the truck is still unassembled in the box la... donno when i'm going to start. i plan to use italeri's accessories kit with crates, packs, weapons etc. the tamiya is nice but mahal la..... err, is the campaign started already aaa?

Quoted Text

Ah Yes NW. Since we are already off topic. I'll have to mention the rest of My Favorites list, Julianne Moore, Ashley Judd & Marisa Tomei (yeah I know most of them all oldies but goodies).

oldies but goodies... ha ha.. i like that..! but no sweat, ashley judd and marisa tomei are my favorite babes too... he he... along with catherine bell, jessica alba etc etc.... mmmmm...
 _GOTOTOP