TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Adventures in Scale Modeling
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:17 PM UTC
Anyone remember this series that appeared on PBS and was sponsored by Testors Corp.? I first noticed them when I was stationed at Ft. Hood (1992-96), but since I had spent the majority of the previous 5 years out of the country, they may have been on prior to that. I never did catch more than a couple episodes.

I found three of these videos on sale at the local hobby shop in NJ. Each video contains 4 half hour episodes (12 episodes in all). I watched a few of the episodes, they give good beginner tips and usually have a young child right there being taught some basic modeling skills. The episode I like best is the one with the starship Enterprise being built and shows the use of models in Hollywood movies. Unfortunately, no epsiodes on armor kits

Worth a look for someone just starting out modeling or to try to get the kids interested. Date on the video boxes is 1989 and 1990.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
I've never seen Adventures in Scale Modeling. Would be nice to see the videos...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC
I have never heard of them either. They sound like a cool addition to a video library. Any idea what year they were first made?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 05:34 AM UTC
Maybe Jim should 'stream' them......kidding?

Tread.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:25 AM UTC
It was on PBS here in Richmond about 6-7 years ago also. IIRC Testors put a copy of one ot them in some of their "collections" kits. I saw them in a kit with a P51, P47 and Corsair 1/48 aircraft models, complete with paint, brushes and the video. Remember seeing this a Toys R Us. Also, I think IPMS' Chuck Davenport was in a couple of the shows.
Check your local hobby shop, they may still be available.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 11:44 AM UTC
Apparently they have made quite a few of these. The page I found is tied to a PBS station in South Carolina.

http://www.scetv.org/etvstore/alpha.htm

There is one on an M24 Chaffee!