Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The Lawyers are at it again
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:45 AM UTC
A few months ago, there was quite a lot of discussion about the risk to the modeling industry because of corporate lawyers threating to sue the kit manufacturers over the theft of "intellectual property" if the kit makers didn't pay the vehicle/aircraft manufacturers a licensing fee.

They're at it again, but this time in another area. I don't know how many of you are also musicians, specifically guitar/bass players, but I know there are some. For years there has been a written version of music for guitars/bass (called "TABS") which at varying levels of detail and accuracy provide the fingering and notes/chords for popular music, most of the time but not limited to rock, since that's what most guitarist are into.

With the Internet, these tabs became much more readily available with dozens of sites from which you could download someone's version of how a certain song was played. There was even a site which had software not only for creating tabs, but which allowed you to modify AND actually play the version so you could hear it. Not only great for being able to PLAY songs but VERY helpful for improving listening and music reading/writing skills.

No longer.

The MPA (Music Publishers Association) has done to most of these sites like the record and film industry has done. Claiming copyright infringement, they have threatened not only to sue, but the CEO was quoted as saying people should go to jail. So many of these sites are now going dark.

You know, one of the reasons I've used these sites is that YOU CAN'T FIND ACCURATE SHEET MUSIC FOR EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!! If good versions were available, (and you didn't have to pay for a whole book full of junk) I'd buy it. How can the publishers be upset over people "infringing" something that they themselves haven't even made AVAILABLE?

Is it just me or do we need to tell corporations and their lawyers to just take a chill pill!

What's the latest on the issue for modeling companies?

Tom
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:50 AM UTC
I'd sue them for not having created this themselves... and while we're at it.. let's sue the record companies for not having created something like napster !!!!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 01:05 AM UTC
I want to sue the record company's for damaging my hearing with their rap cr&p..and the artists (used loosely there) for coming up with such drival.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to sue the record company's for damaging my hearing with their rap cr&p..and the artists (used loosely there) for coming up with such drival.

I'm with you on this one John, still nothing that a bit of Iron Maiden or Metallica can't drown out... On second thought, probably best not to mention Metallica in this context...

Cheers
Henk
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 03:10 AM UTC
Try this one, lets send all the corparate lawyers to IRAQ and bring home our troops.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC
I'm with you all the way with that one John! It's a wonder how anyone could enjoy such crap....