_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
decal set?
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:45 PM UTC
OK I usually do not use decal set but I have read and herd that it works and looks better but, I am not getting the results that I had hoped.
first I wet the decal then I prep the area. I then slide the decal off and apply it to the area that it is supposed to go on then apply a coat over it just like the instructions tell me to do .

Do you guys have a better way to do it . It seems that when it dries it looks like it is about to fall off the peice I am working on.I do not like the results. it seems to turn white. so what can I do to make the white dissapear and look like it is painted on like it should or am i just ate up and doing it all wrong?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:53 PM UTC
Are you laying down a clear gloss coat before applying the decal? The use of a gloss coat will eliminate that whiteing effect which is caused by air being trapped under the decal from the use of matt finishes.

Sometimes when using a setting solution over the decal will cause the whiteing or silvering. This is easily fixed by applying a clear flat over it.

Be sure that between each step, you allow the prior step to fully dry.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 03:19 PM UTC
Totally concur with Ken on this one. We need to know if your laying the decals down on a gloss coat or not. Doing so makes a big difference in the appearance of the decals. What decal setting solution are you using? I tried the set made by testors but didn't have good luck. I have since moved onto the Micro Sol and Micro Set made by Microscale. I have had good results with them.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 03:54 PM UTC
Yes I am using testers. I am also setting it on flat colors. So if I put a flat clear on it it wil go away? or should I just use the micro product? But I have already put them on so should I just apply the flat clear?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 04:09 PM UTC
If there is air trapped under the decal you could use a very fine pin tip (needle) and make several "pokes" in the decal and apply a little more of the setting solution. This will help the solution get under the decal which may help with the whiteing.

If the decals are already applied, you could try to use a little of the flat clear on it. Just brush a bit over the whole decal and give it some time to see if the white goes away.

I can not guarantee if any of the above will fix the decal, but it may be worth a try.

Definetly use a clear gloss before setting decals in the future...speaking of which, Future Floor Polish works great for this.
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 01:19 AM UTC
Read a article about decals and problems about decalshere.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:01 AM UTC
If the peice I am working on is all flat why would I use clear gloss? I do not want it to be shiny. I guess the best would be dry transfers but, I do not have them . so would the clear flat work just like the gloss?
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hey SGT, Decals stick better to glossy surfaces and the decal set works better also. Even though the kit you are working on is supposed to be flat, spray a glossy finish on it before you add the decals. After you get them on and let them dry for a day or two, then you can go back and put a coat of flat over the whole kit. I di this with my aircraft models, and I don't get the "falling off the model" look with the decals. Anyway, I hope this helps ya out in some way.

BTW, The decal set solution I use is Solvaset.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 08:58 AM UTC
Just like the Lady said SgtB.

If you go to the link that Aragorn provided, there is a great illustration about midway down of the two different painted surfaces.

You'll notice that the flat surface is rough, which will cause air to get trapped under the smooth decal (same goes for dry transfers), which will cause the white or silvering effect.
By applying a clear gloss to the model you'll get rid of the silvering and have the added bonus of having the surface ready for a weathering wash.
Just be sure to protect the decal with another light coat of clear gloss before proceding with a wash.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:11 PM UTC
OK guy's I will give it a go and we will see what hapen's.and the weatering part with the clear gloos will help to . I do not havethe problems with weatering l on my armor actually it looks really good but the aircraft is kiling me. I can't get that exaust look that goes with all aircraft. So I guess I will give the gloos a try with the decal's and the weatering. Thanks!!
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:14 PM UTC
sorry about all of the spelling above I guess I was going to fast!

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:16 PM UTC
The gloss coat will only aid the "wash" part of the weathering.
When that stage of weathering is done apply the clear flat coat, let it dry, than you can start the drybrushing and pastel weathering.
 _GOTOTOP