Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Pets....Ain't they wonderful!
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 07:14 PM UTC
Our pets can be a source of happiness or down right frustration. I'm sure that all modelers with pets have had a cat or dog cause damage to something model related over the years.

My daughter's Jabokitty played havoc with my Marder 11 by knocking it off the shelf then batting it about the dinning room.

The latest assualt was by one my two new pups, one is eight months(Lab/Chow named Panzer), the other is five months( Husky named Kiba). I walked into the living room and what did I find on the floor? A Tamiya Pz1V OVE set chewed into pieces! To get this set to use as a chew toy, one of the pups had to stretch up and take it off my modelling table! I suspect Kiba of the crime, But I know Panzer is guilty of doing the same thing before Kiba arrived on the scene. He took a bag of parts off my computer desk and chewed up the drive sprocket of a Jagdpanzer 1V A-O

I was able to salvage 90% the items in the set.

I guess I will have to make sure to secure the model room before going to bed.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:27 PM UTC
My cat Rumbelfish is a tank ace! :-)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 11:32 PM UTC
Oh my, this sounds bad! We are owned by three cats here, but so far none of them have ever developed a taste for plastic, or decided to become "warriors" in that sense.

As far as the models go, I put mine either back in their boxes when not working on them, or in Tupperware types of containers when they are done. A week ro so ago I picked up a 28 qt. "Tupperware" type of box over to Wal-Mart for $2.99 and use it for the models that I'm currently working at the end of a session and slide it under the bed.

The biggest problem we've encountered so far with the cats is their occasional "assault" on my wife's indoor plant(s). And afterwards there's the inevitable "puke-fest" in different areas of the house to clean up, till they get it all out of their system. The "indoor grass" or cat-nip treats so far hasn't curbed them, or at least one of them, from occasionally "walking on the wide side."

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 03:38 AM UTC
Curio cabinets protect my models from Gizmo and Rambo. I did have to attach clear plastic sheets to the front of the hanging shelves to protect those items, from the killer cat Rambo. They don't look the greatest, but Rambo still hasn't figured out how to get to his toys behind them.

The funny thing is the estranged cat kept in the bedroom due to antisocial behaviors with the others, has never damaged or goes near my modeling work bench. BUT never leave instructions or decal sheets out, as she will chew them up ...... :-)
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
Ah the infamous tank killers,
Wish the Military would come up with some Anti-"tank" weapons :-)

Dont worry Fred, you think that is bad. My shelf with all my finished models tipped over when my Cat somehow got on top of it and tipped it over, The cat is a bit "Over weight"
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:06 AM UTC

Man I feel sorry for you guys. My Sam is just a mix breed pup we got from the shelter some years ago and he has never tried any type of "assault " on my desk, built models or any other thing for that matter. When I'm building he loves to come in and lay on "his" chair and watch. Other than that he has his own toys to play with. When my kids come over or sometimes the little girl next door will come over they take him out in the back yard and play catch or whatever. I guess I'm lucky because hes just pretty mellow. Maybe the problem is haveing cats rather than dogs :-)
Just playing
Harry
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:02 PM UTC
I had a top-fuel dragster model that I spent close to 60 hours on when my youngest "son" (my cat Gunner) climbed to the top of the bookcase and knocked it off! I about died! The only thing that saved him was the face he made like "what, what did I do?"
Glenn330
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC
I don't have any pets but I do have an active three year old daughter.................