TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Wooo Hooo!!!
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:51 AM UTC
I'm going to see The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe tonite!!!

My wife got home looked at me and said..."Are you excited to see this movie or what?" I said what, the foam around my mouth? Oh, haven't finished shaving yet silly!
:-) :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 03:25 AM UTC
My 17 year old daughter saw it the other night and really liked it. She's read all the books.

I have a question which she couldn't answer. I have been aware of this series ever since I managed a book store in the 80s, though I've never read any of them. They were always marketed as a Christian series. This is not to get into any kind of religious discussion but with what appears to be magic, magical creatures, etc, this looks about the same as Lord of the Rings to me. Is it just because C.S. Lewis was known as a Christian author, or does it have special moral lessions for Christians?

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
I never read this type of stuff either. From what I've seen in commercials, it looks like a Lord of the Rings clone only with talking animals. I think I'll pass on this. It should do well at Box-office though. All the young adults and kids will probably love it. Look for the action figuers to flood the market in the next week. Great for late Christmas presents
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 01:23 PM UTC
Lewis employs a small amount of Christian imagery - like Aslan's self-sacrifice - but it's not an overtly Christian work.

You'd have to be an obsessive (or Polly Toynbee) to get worked up about the religious content.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 03:58 PM UTC
David's right. The only parallel is Aslan's self-sacrificial death and subsequent ressurrection, which assures the world within the wardrobe of a hereafter.

The fact the Lewis was a Christian writer probably had more to do with the books being labelled as such. Pity, really, because at times they make better reading than the LOTR, and are often mistakenly dismissed as Evangelical claptrap.

Steve, you couldn't be more wrong. Comparing LOTR to Narnia, is like comparing King Kong to Alice in Wonderland.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 04:24 PM UTC
For anyone who didn't get get the reference to Polly Toynbee, this will make you sit up (or wind you up)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1657759,00.html#article_continue
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 07:39 PM UTC
Well, I'm back! I saw the movie last night and I clapped and cheered silently over every aspect of the movie. I loved every second of it. Will I see it again? Oh ya!

Listen I know fantacy movies aren't for everyone. Pff, I know people that haven't even seen Shrek or Finding Nemo and those are two of the best movies that I've EVER seen!

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe isn't a Christianty recruiting tool so there's no reason to hold your children back from seeing the movie if your not Christian. The's no religious overtone, no subliminal cross images.... stop worrying about.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC
I haven't yet seen the movie, plan on going this weekend. But I have read the books several times. C.S. Lewis became a strong Christian later in life. He would get into very deep discussions with other professors, and if I remember correctly originally set out to do research to show that the teachings were all just myth. But the more he dug into the more real it became to him. His book "Mere Christianity" is a good one to read to get an idea what he found.

Based on his beliefs, the allegorical themes (HA! How's THAT for an engineer! Thank you Dodo!!!) in the book are very strongly related to the underlying beliefs of the Christian faith.

That said, the books are certainly not overtly "beat you over the head" with that point of view. I don't know about the movie, but the books can be enjoyed one one level for those who are not especially spiritiual, and at another level for those who are.

One other comment. While Lewis and Tolkien were good friends and Lewis loved the LOTR books, I believe that Tolkien for his part did not especially care for the Chronicles of Narnia.

Tom
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
It was the number one box office ticket on its opening weekend.. It grossed around 60 - 65 MILLION last weekend..

Dave
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 04:51 AM UTC
Granted the very miniscule "reference to Christianity" of Aslan's self sacrifice is endearing, alas it is not only a Christian thing to do but a moral and caring thing to do in the instance portrayed. I can say that there are only very small references to religion at all in the movie or books as the only NOTABLE reference is that of "two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve" whom are not only Christian but Hebraic figures. Please do not dismiss the film or books as religious/evangelical as they are the stuff of pure fantacy that teach a lesson. Nothing wrong with that in my humble opinion.lol
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:27 AM UTC
Here's a few FACTS about C.S. Lewis:

1) He was a DEVOUT athiest. This is fact.
2) He carried on many religeous debates, discussions and such with his college pal J.R.R. Tolkien, who was a devout Christian.

The Christian subtleties you find in Lewis' work is all put there as he interpreted it from long discussions with Tolkien and others ABOUT Christianity.

He himself held no religeous beliefs at all.

Cuhail
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
I don't know where you got your 'facts' from Murphy.

Lewis was an athiest at one time, but converted to Christianity. His book Surprised by Joy details this. And he certainly was a Christian when he went on to write such books as The Screwtape Letters, The Problem of Pain, Mere Christianity, Miracles, Four Loves and many many many others. Even a cursory search of Amazon will give you a whole host of his Christian writings. In fact, CS Lewis is considered to be one of the foremost Christian thinkers of his generation.

Just for the record, he wrote the Narnia chronicles while a practicing Christian. And the books, while not overtly Christian, are considered by modern Evangelicals to have strong parallels with the Bible. Can't comment on the movie as I haven't seen it yet.

You can take this as gospel . My dad's a Baptist priest and a great CS Lewis fan. Both he and his library are packed with info!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:05 PM UTC
David is absolutely correct - C.S. Lewis' religious beliefs are well-documented.

Secondly, Murphy, just how can you be a
Quoted Text

DEVOUT athiest.

?...Jim
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Secondly, Murphy, just how can you be a
Quoted Text

DEVOUT athiest.

?...Jim

Without regard to the religious penchant of CS Lewis, or any other person, here is the definition of "devout" as found at Your Dictionary dot com:

1. Devoted to religion or to the fulfillment of religious obligations. See Synonyms at religious.

2. Displaying reverence or piety.

3. Sincere; earnest: devout wishes for their success.

Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 07:40 PM UTC
Ok, I can admit when I'm wrong.

And I will....

...someday.

I got the information from Lewis himself...last week...when we were getting coffee.

Yeah...that's the ticket.

I am NEVER listening to my ole lady again.
She made me say it.

I love her so I do whatever she says.
Punish her! Not me

Anonymous
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the information from Lewis himself...last week...when we were getting coffee.

Next time, ask him about the ten pounds he borrowed from me in 1929...Jim
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:21 PM UTC
Ya know, we talked about that. He said he paid you in 1936. It was in that dirty envelope under the third bleacher from the left, three levels up, at the stadium were the Olympics were held, I forget the name. He also said you owe him for the DaVinci drawings he sold to you.

He said " If I'm dead by the time ya get a hold of Jim about this, you take the $275.000 and spend it how you want."

He said you'd remember.

:-)

Cuhail
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
Talking animals folks!!!!!! Talking animals!!!!
The movie was worth the price of admission just to hear a couple of cute beavers
screaming... faster... faster... c'mon, faster, this way, this way!

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking animals folks!!!!!! Talking animals!!!!

Alright, Dr. Dolittle, ease back on the meds! :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:41 PM UTC
I just wanted to make clear I wasn't saying it was bad, or good, that Narnia was considered a Christian alegory, I just didn't know what it was that made it so. It won't make me want to go, or keep me away, either way.

Quoted Text

One other comment. While Lewis and Tolkien were good friends and Lewis loved the LOTR books, I believe that Tolkien for his part did not especially care for the Chronicles of Narnia.

I brought this up with a friend of mine at work who took a college level course on C.S. Lewis. He said basically the same thing. According to Mike Lewis and Tolkien would swap chapters in the local pub. Tolkien thought the Christian alegory too heavy handed, and that Lewis had too many mixed metaphors. It doesn't sound to me that it was too much, but I'm not a professor of literature like Tolkien.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 06:17 AM UTC
I refuse to go near talking beavers..... in any way shape or form....... something to do with the 60's... colors..... flashbacks..... :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I refuse to go near talking beavers..... in any way shape or form....... something to do with the 60's... colors..... flashbacks..... :-)

Some comments cannot have a reply that will not cause great trouble, consternation, weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:58 PM UTC
So far the only thing that has impressed me is that Tom Hataway took a class from Dodo Dillard. And you said you didn't know anything about Scott Shipp...

Herbert Nash Dillard was known as Dodo to us. He held 5 doctorates in various English Literature disciplines from schools like Harvard and Yale and I believe Oxford. He is one of my great inspirations. I was privleged to take one of his upper level Shakespeare classes. He died while teaching the next semester on a Saturday. His last wish was recognised as the Saturday Noon INspection was cancelled in his honor. Not quite off topic, I would guarentee that he would have greatly contributed to this discourse.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hahahaha, I never saw talking beavers in the 70's, but I did see a gnome moving about the room once.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So far the only thing that has impressed me is that Tom Hathaway took a class from Dodo Dillard. And you said you didn't know anything about Scott Shipp...

Not quite off topic, I would guarantee that he would have greatly contributed to this discourse.

No doubt Dodo would have had a great deal to say to the general increase in the understanding of the subject to all on the site! He was a rare and remarkable man, of a kind not much in evidence today. I took an honors English class under him as a rat, and I think he took it very personally when I continued on in the engineering department and did not change majors to English. One of the greatest regrets in my lifetime is that I did NOT take his Shakespeare class as a first. The story of his collapse and death during the middle of a Shakespeare class is STILL a legend almost 30 years later. (He was prone to theatrics and for a few moments the class thought he was acting!)

Steve--- have you read his biography which was written by his daughter?

TC