_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
M113 1/35, Academy Kit
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hi,

I finally finished this kit a couple of weeks ago, and was only able to post upload some of the pictures now. This kit took me months to finish, I actually started armor modelling with this one, but the challenge of having to cater to both interior and the exterior really got into me, such that I drop this for a while and turn my attention a Sherman and a T34/85.

Some disclaimer b4 you guys move down to the pictures:

1. This was supposed to be a "zelda", and i initially tried to convert to a US APC with desert camo. Failed miserably at that with no after kit purchase to back up the conversion. As such, some deatils would be terribly wrong (e.g. exhaust pipe)!

2. I was also disappointed with the effects of weathering that I applied on, washes, then some filtering to blur the washes, so as to create an APC after a sandstorm. Will try to improve that in future projects.

3. No decals? Yup, failed again in this area. The Academy decals was really a nightmare (maybe to me?), they simply tear up so easily that I just gave up at the end.

Overall, I appreciate the details of the kit, esp the interior (but my lousily taken pictures may not show this well). I will consider another M113 from Academy as well as one more from Italeri. This was really a neat vehicle to construct, hopefully, my skills will be improved by then.

So, pls comment and provide some feedback, if possible.

Cheers!

PS: Will try to improve the photo taking skills as well!

A close-up look at the engine:

The mounted machine gun:

The instrument panel inside the driver's compartment:

An attempted zoom in on the tracks:

Some of the cabin pics:

umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 06:08 PM UTC
Hi Dan,

Personally I think you did a great job! Especially the painting on those "little details" (e.g. instrument panels). Your photography skills is way better than mine. That's for sure.

The lack of decals does make the build a little dull. But I must agree that the decals of older Academy Kits do tend to "tear" easily. Got to be very delicate.

BTW, you might want to weather the cabin a little more. Dry brush more dust (pigments) inside since you're trying to stimulate kind of a desert scene. Other than that, I think it's still a very nice build.

Cheers,
DAK
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

3. No decals? Yup, failed again in this area. The Academy decals was really a nightmare (maybe to me?), they simply tear up so easily that I just gave up at the end.

Here, you may want to let the decal stay in the water for a little bit longer. Then it should be removed from the backing card more easily

I think you make a pretty decent vehicle. Its always quite difficult to make a light colored vehicle looks worn and weathered. What you did there is already good enough. However, when you add more details to it - ie additional rackings, Jerry cans holder etc, you can enhance the details with wash and dry brushing. Hope these info helps!
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 08:36 AM UTC
I made the same vehicle before. The addded armour option. Yeah he decal is of a bit lower quality compared to he DML. anyway nice APC>
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC
Thats a pretty damn good attempt there Dan. Based on what you experienced building this kit, i would certainly recommend trying out the Tamiya M113A2 as it was certainly an enjoyable experience for me.

Based on your photos, i would do a little kit bashing by using the Academy's interior, engine compartment and rear ramp and swap it into the Tamiya kit.

The Tamiya kit has better detail and best of all, its has plenty of decals leftover which you can place on this one that you built. If you compare the details from this photo, you will see what i mean.

As for weathering, i would certainly recommend that you use powder pigment to get the best effect for dust and sand. Definitely try to perform a wash on your model to enhance to edges and gaps to make it look more realistic. Unfortunately, when i built this M113A2, i was still experimenting with washes and it didnt turn out good but i would certainly recommend artist oils mix with turpentine. Believe me, capillary action works wonders when artist oils touches a glossy surface.

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dan,

Personally I think you did a great job! Especially the painting on those "little details" (e.g. instrument panels). Your photography skills is way better than mine. That's for sure.

The lack of decals does make the build a little dull. But I must agree that the decals of older Academy Kits do tend to "tear" easily. Got to be very delicate.

BTW, you might want to weather the cabin a little more. Dry brush more dust (pigments) inside since you're trying to stimulate kind of a desert scene. Other than that, I think it's still a very nice build.

Cheers,

Thanks, umustb,

Sure, well try that, but need to improve skill level first!

Cheers!
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here, you may want to let the decal stay in the water for a little bit longer. Then it should be removed from the backing card more easily

I think you make a pretty decent vehicle. Its always quite difficult to make a light colored vehicle looks worn and weathered. What you did there is already good enough. However, when you add more details to it - ie additional rackings, Jerry cans holder etc, you can enhance the details with wash and dry brushing. Hope these info helps!

Thanks, DAK, for the encouragement. I actually did apply washes, but dulled up the washes by applying filtering, as I thought desert vehicles would not really have so much dark stains. As for dry brushing, same as well, i used lighter shades of the base color, but guess they did not turn out in the pictures. But, thanks for your comments!

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I made the same vehicle before. The addded armour option. Yeah he decal is of a bit lower quality compared to he DML. anyway nice APC>

Thanks, Eerie, for the encouragement!

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats a pretty damn good attempt there Dan. Based on what you experienced building this kit, i would certainly recommend trying out the Tamiya M113A2 as it was certainly an enjoyable experience for me.

Based on your photos, i would do a little kit bashing by using the Academy's interior, engine compartment and rear ramp and swap it into the Tamiya kit.

The Tamiya kit has better detail and best of all, its has plenty of decals leftover which you can place on this one that you built. If you compare the details from this photo, you will see what i mean.

As for weathering, i would certainly recommend that you use powder pigment to get the best effect for dust and sand. Definitely try to perform a wash on your model to enhance to edges and gaps to make it look more realistic. Unfortunately, when i built this M113A2, i was still experimenting with washes and it didnt turn out good but i would certainly recommend artist oils mix with turpentine. Believe me, capillary action works wonders when artist oils touches a glossy surface.

Thanks Jazza,

Actually, I was really planning to build another one, and was contemplating bashing Academy with either Tamiya or italeri's (latter , cos it was cheaper!).

As for pigment wise, I would like to try it out once i have enough practices. Thanks for the advise on washes as well. Yes agreed with you, and i did that, but as mentioned in earlier post, I really doubt desert vehicles would not really have so much dark stains, but guess more researches is due.

Really appreciate your advises, cheers!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, I was really planning to build another one, and was contemplating bashing Academy with either Tamiya or italeri's (latter , cos it was cheaper!).

Yeah i totally know what you mean on cost. The Tamiya kit aint the cheapest but looking back, its almost justified its high cost as the level of detail it has is usually lacking in the cheaper models.

Quoted Text

Thanks for the advise on washes as well. Yes agreed with you, and i did that, but as mentioned in earlier post, I really doubt desert vehicles would not really have so much dark stains, but guess more researches is due.

Really appreciate your advises, cheers!

You are quite right, desert vehicles dont have that much dark stains however washes are mainly use for enhancing parts of a vehicle that would typically have a shadow. Its not enough to rely on natural shadows especially for 1:35 scale so most modellers typically enhance it to make it look more realistic. If not, it tends to look rather flat as the colour is somewhat uniform throughout the whole model.

My latest build had a wash done to it but instead of using black like most modellers use on OD coloured type vehicles, i used burnt umber (dark brown) and then dry brushed over it to blend it in. I placed it in places like the wheels to enhance the bolts and even the door frame.

Try it out on your next build, i fully recommend it.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
Nice build..! Like ur subtle weathering..the way u tone done the colors..
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You are quite right, desert vehicles dont have that much dark stains however washes are mainly use for enhancing parts of a vehicle that would typically have a shadow. Its not enough to rely on natural shadows especially for 1:35 scale so most modellers typically enhance it to make it look more realistic. If not, it tends to look rather flat as the colour is somewhat uniform throughout the whole model.

My latest build had a wash done to it but instead of using black like most modellers use on OD coloured type vehicles, i used burnt umber (dark brown) and then dry brushed over it to blend it in. I placed it in places like the wheels to enhance the bolts and even the door frame.

Try it out on your next build, i fully recommend it.

Hi Jazza,
Well well, love your humvee there and it so happens that I have one in my stash. But, I do see your point from your pix! Trust that I will try that out in my next desert build.

Cheers!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jazza,
Well well, love your humvee there and it so happens that I have one in my stash. But, I do see your point from your pix! Trust that I will try that out in my next desert build.

Cheers!

Experiment on the cheaper on the models before moving onto the Tamiya kits. Based on my own personal try outs, pre-shading doesnt work for me but it might for you.

Good luck....and oh thanks for the kind words! I didnt mean to steal the limelight from your M113.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 03:55 PM UTC
Hi Dan,

Your m113 looks great! I love the dusty look you gave it.

I suggest that you put some dust streaks on the sides of the vehicle. As Jazza suggested, also do some pin-wash on the vehicle to enhance the details. I'm still learning on the washes but it can enhance the look of the vehicle!

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC
Thanks Danny,

Yup, will be working on that area in future projects! And nice to hear from you again, been quite a while!

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP