TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Black hawk down
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 03:01 AM UTC
The guys on the ground requested armor, Bradleys and Abrams, but Clinton denied the request. Read about it at the link below.

No Armor

Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 181 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Armorama members.

I saw Black hawk down yesterday. I think that the movie was really bad, actually the most american patriot film I ever seen! The only message the movie gave me was "America is best" and "God bless America". Anyone who agree to me, that the movie was too much "America"?

/ Jamal

I don't, which is suprising as I found both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan (especially the latter) as too-Americanised. I read the book and saw the movie, enjoyed both and from what I hear both are fairly accurate.

That paticular battle is fairly interesting from a training point of view, a number of points come out about FIBUA as well as command and control and leadreship in general.

Overall I found it a fascinating story, and it is one of the few war movies tat I will end up owning.

Cheers,
Linz
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

granted the movie did open up with how the Pakistani's were killed but it didn't touch base on how the situation changed when the Canadian Airborne Regiment or all the other Canadian units pulled out. Because when the Canadians were there their wasn't and ambush or any major assult on the UN tasking when Canadian units were there. It wasn't untill the Canadian units left that all that stuff happend.

You're joking right?

So the Americans were killed because the canucks weren't there to save their asses? If this isn't a joke, it's at best offensive.

Sorry, but the original book was written by an American about American fighting men. Since the movie was based on the book, I don't think its hard to understand why Canadians weren't featured.

I don't think the book or the movie pretends to tell the entire story of UN involvement in Somolia with each detail explored in full. The focus was, ultimately, about how people react in combat and the bond that forms between the men who are in these horrible situations. Since the fighting didn't involve Canadians, it really doesn't make much sense to make a movie about them.

As far as the movie being pro-America or anit-the rest of the world, BS. I think this was one of the most 'neutral' Hollywood movies ever. People also complained that the film was racist because it shows so many blacks being killed by whites. Unfortunately, that's what happened. I think the movie showed the horrors on BOTH sides.

And, the film was directed by Ridley Scott. He is not an American. I don't think he was under any 'orders' to make a pro-USA film.

I think what bothers people is that Black Hawk Down, unlike 99% of other war films, is NOT entirely anti-war and anti-US. That's why they think it's so pro-US!

To be honest, I believe this is a very important film and in light of what is going on in the world today should be seen by everyone. Sure, some details may be omitted or changed. It's not a straight non-fiction documentary, but it does get one as close to actual comabt as they should ever hope to get.

Steve
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hola!

Sorry for the late jump in to this thread

I just finished watching BHD for the second time, and it was even better then the first time at the theatre. As you know, im not an American but a Swede, and a lot of my friends back home recent the US and whatever they do, I like to call this "Small Country Complex". They are in a way 'jellous', I know this isnt the right word, but something similar, because they can't do anything like the US can. Since the US is such an economical Leader and its share size and population makes it kind of the US's role to play 'world police' and help out in a lot of places they really don't have any rights to be, exept, people forget that a lot of countries ASK for help from the US.
But since the US were in Somalia and it was about US soldiers, how can it not be an American movie? But this is not the point I get from Jamal, he's saying that the movie shows America is best, which I bet he recents the $h!t out of, because they pretty much are the best and they know it. I know this is very un patriotic of me from a Swedes viewpoint, but I live in the States and I know both sides. Me too can agree that sometimes the US are a little to cocky, but hey, they can be.

I know this is probably far fetched and a lot of you think this has nothing to do with the subject, but I think it has everything to do with it. The fact that people recent the US for being able to do things they can only dream of.

Now, Im not trying to offend anyone, simply just saying what I think is the core problem, if I offended you, I'm sorry, read it again with an open mind.

And as a personal point on the movie, its awesome, makes me want to join the US ARMY even more.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:06 AM UTC
I think Anders' post above answers the earlier thread question "Why Do They Hate Us" rather neatly. I personally didn't find the sentiments offensive at all - thanks Anders...

Gunnie
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Anders' post above answers the earlier thread question "Why Do They Hate Us" rather neatly. I personally didn't find the sentiments offensive at all - thanks Anders...

Gunnie

Phew
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Phew

I'll agree with Gunnie on this one.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:35 AM UTC
Gunnie makes a very good point........

Matt
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:10 PM UTC
What I saw were well trained, disciplined American Airborne, Ranger and Delta forces placed into harms way by an administration more concerned about image than lives. I saw these soldiers fight for their lives against overwhelming odds and despite the loss of 19 men, kicked some serious "skinny" butt. I also saw valor above and beyond the call of duty by two rangers who despite the overwhelming odds went in to rescue their fellow soldiers. These two rangers were both killed and ultimately awarded the Medal of Honor (postumately) Finally I saw American troops having to beg for support from another countries forces BECAUSE THE FRIGGING CLINTON ADMINISTRATION DID NOT GIVE A RIP AND SUPPLY THEM THE FIREPOWER THEY NEEDED. That's what I saw. And if this comes off as gung-ho American patriotism then so be it. A DAMN fine movie.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:29 PM UTC
I have a couple of friends that were part of the Canadian contingent over in Somalia.

From what they have said...the movie was fairly realistic. And that if all this action had of happened 2 weeks before, that it would have been the Canadian soldiers that would have been there with full light armor support.

From what I heard...the lack of APCs in the area was a breakdown of communications...and the US commander leading the operation, was too gung ho about it, and figured his own men should be able to handle it....and was too proud to call for support, until it was too late.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 05:34 PM UTC
A reply perhaps a bit out of sequence...

This afternoon (Dec. 22) I watched Blackhawk Down as I put lights on the Christmas tree. My wife was over at her Mom's so I had a chance to watch a movie that was not of the typical Christmas type.

I was stunned and amazed at it.. AGAIN. This thread started with some criticism of the movie for being a too American movie, too RAH RAH USA!!

All I saw today was a movie showing the horrors of war, the honor of fighting men and the meaning of "Brothers In Arms". Sure it was from the American point of view. SO! It has to be from someones POV. It shows failings and problems with what our forces tried to execute that day- BUT the real story is the story of men in combat, the confusion, the chaos, the horror, the pain, the bravery, the courage, the honor... well you get my drift!

To all of you who have served your country, God Bless!!!

Jim
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 05:55 PM UTC
A quick bit of info on the "too much America" part of Jamals statement.
The director is English, as well as several actors. Australia was represented by several actors who played the Delta troops.
300+ extras were from Morocco,Algeria and several other African nations.
Finally, the movie was filmed in Morocco.
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 10:26 AM UTC
Ok Ok, but to understand the movie and the book, try talking to the ones that were there, i was Comtech assigned to the 1st SFOD (D) better know as Delta Force, the senior commander who was being pressured from above to produce results. I personally knew four of the men who were killed. Still even today i ask WHY. Someone got right Clinton's policy of no shooting back better known as "Rules of Engagement".