_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Q: thining Putty?
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hello,

I have a question about the Tamiya Putty

I heard that you can thin this, my question(s) are:

When?
Why?
How?

I use this for filling the seams and use nail-polish remover to remove the excess, is there more for what I can use this stuff?

Tnx fellows

#:-)
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
I use the testors liquid cement in the round bottle with the maroon label with both Tamiya and Squadron putties.

But since reading about using nail polish remover ( diluted acetone) and a q-tip (ear bud for the brits..) on semi dry putty I haven't had to thin putty much. I read about it over on the ARC (aircraft resource center) site.

(what's up with all the parenthesis?) ( I dunno)

Mike
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC
You can thin Squadron putty with Tamiya liquid cement and I have heard that Tamiya Putty can be thinned with Tamiya cement as well. The only drawback is that the putty/glue mix cannot be easily cleaned up if a mistake is made.

Andrew

basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 04:25 PM UTC
You could try using lacquer thinner to thin Tamiya putty. Normally the first thing i do would be to squeeze the entire content out of the tube into an empty paint bottle. I would then add a good amount of lacquer thinner into the bottle to thin it as i find that the putty comes too thick.Never mind if you find that you have added too much thinner....... just leave the bottle uncapped for a while and wait for the thinner to evaporate a bit. Use an old pointed paint brush for application and wipe the excess off with thinner. Hope this helps..........
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
Tnx for the ideas,

Unfortunatly I dont have any lacquer thinner around but I found a alternative.
Like I said, I use nail-polish remover to smoothen out my seams wich I filled with putty and I tried to use this to thin my putty.
I squeezed a blob of putty in a film container and added some nail-polish remover and mixed it.

I found that I could paint this mixture without much clean up.

Tnx again for the idea's

_GOTOTOP