Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How Many Models Completed in 2002?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 03:24 PM UTC
jeezzzssshhhh.. how can you NOT have more that a dozen projects going at once...?? -grin-
not a smiley guy.. sorry...

This year.. none of which were started in 02 btw..

1/35th Panther G x2, King Tiger, Challenger, T72 all went to AMPS

1/20 Nitto SF3D Raccoon and 1/72 Fine Molds Tie Fighter (actually that one was started this year, but it's an ootb build.)

1/72 Eastern Express Bleriot IX, Zvezda Berkut, Italeri X32 F117 w flag decal, A-Model Rutan Voyager ( but these are all but slammers for the timeline of flight hanging from the classroom ceiling.)

Still within striking distance
E-100
SMT 1989
Leopard 2A5
Italeri Flak on and Demag D7 and Maultier (ootb slammers)
Bunch of 1/72 a/c F16 CCV, Italeri F14 bombcat, MPC U2..

Worked on within the last week
Bombcat
F15E
Wiesel TOW
Academy 1/35 Blackhawk
Hasegawa US guided ordinance

so maybe an even dozen by years end, if Coast airbrush gets me my replacement needle and nozzle for the Tamiya airbrush in time and this grad-school teacher-wench gets off my back!

Mike
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 03:39 PM UTC
Im never finished So whats that about 8 started this year 0 finished as most everyone would agree.
Branden
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 03:59 PM UTC
I used to have a rule that I would not start another model until I finished the one I was working on. That fell by the wayside. I started many, many projects this year, but sadly only finished one. I do find that the diorama contest has gotten the modeling juices flowing again and I am looking forward to a productive 2003.

Patrick

Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 05:35 AM UTC
Unfortuneatly I havent finished as many kits this year. Mostly becasue of School, Work, Karate, and waiting weeks for certain things to come in from the hobby shop.
Iam also getting into putting more detail into the models, weathering etc. so that takes up even more time.
But heres what I got finished

M35A2 Guntruck conversion "THE BEAST" 1/35 Kirin/AFV Club
M35A1 Guntruck conversion "REBEL" 1/35 Model Valley/AFV Club
M35A1 Quad 50 guntruck "NANCY" 1/35 AFV Club
Serpent Custom HG Gundam Wing diorama 1/144

Iam finishing up:

another Serpent custom for a diorama
A Vietnam diorama
Another Guntruck Conversion from Hobby Fan/AFV Club

Maybee I'll finish them b4 the end of the year, who knows,

Mike

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I used to have a rule that I would not start another model until I finished the one I was working on. That fell by the wayside. I started many, many projects this year, but sadly only finished one. I do find that the diorama contest has gotten the modeling juices flowing again and I am looking forward to a productive 2003.

Patrick

You are not alone. :-) My purchasing rate has way outstripped my completion rate. Due to work, school, and funding, I have only managed to produce 2 for this year. Actually, 2.90, the .90 being another M1 - just waiting for more info on some stuff for it to be done. Hopefully before the end of the year, that M1A1 along with a PzH2000 and a Bundeswher Leo2A5 (assuming I don't go converting it to an Strv122) will be complete.
tigermeet
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:37 PM UTC
This year I have just about completed 4 models (Tornado Tigermeet in 1/72; Henschel HS 129 in 1/48; Messerschmidt BF 109 Trop in 1/48: M3 Lee in 1/35) there are also 6 others that are nearer (nearer is the term) completion. They include a Duce and a Half, M48, M10,
Mercedes Saber Race car, Birddog in 1/48 and C-141 in 1/200. I am currently working on a couple of small simgle engine Navy jets, a Skyhawk and a Skyray. Coolstuff. If I can just control the urge to open more boxes and just finish what I have, I could probably finish what I have!
Quoted Text

put quote text here

DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 08:17 PM UTC
I completed nine models this year, but I had four almost done, and three others pretty well started going into the year, so that isn't a typical number for me. I finished a SR-71, a Skyraider, a F-86 Sabre, a M2A2, built in panic mode, a thunderstreak, a Dodge Challenger, a Chevy Impala, a '34 Ford, and a Willys drag car.

Now I have another "Panic build" coming up. The person who gave me a PT 109 kit is visiting for Christmas, and I need to have that one done, or I may not get a model for a gift this year! I need That will make ten models for the year, a really high number. I won't repeat that next year though, as part of my efforts this year centered around completing my half finished projects. I did the easy ones! Now I have all of my "Problem Children" sitting on my bench.

Dave
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 08:46 PM UTC
I started the whole hobby again when I found Armorama in February. So far I´ve finished four figure dioramas and two with hardware. My built vehicles include a Schwimmwagen and a 122mm Howitzer. Til the end of year they´ll sum seven finished projects after finishing the sniper competition dio.

Hmm. Actually more productive pace that I expected myself...

Toni

BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
Well 2002 isn't over yet so I hope to finish at least one

MSW
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
Two models (1/16 M577 and M35A2's Fuel cell conversion)
One small dio : tree hut dio for contest
Since that dio is out of proportions for the contest, a second entry is now under construction.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
Errr....Not to be complicated, BUT (you knew that was coming didn't ya!)I started 58,696 projects this year...Seriously more than I care to count. I suffer from the incurable disease which leves me to believe I can realise every project undertaken. This inevitably leads to zounds of small boxes with microscopic parts piling around the work room. I take projects nearly to completion then...WHAMMO!! Something makes me start yet another project! I don't know if it isn't the syndrome of not wanting to leave a good freind behind, or finishing a good book, but I have the Faun Transproter for example, just waiting for the front glazing, and decals...That has been (he sheds a tear!) eight months now. Lack of concentration, lack of willpower, lack of desire, Who knows..ANYWAYS, This year I actually finished The diorama Shalom, and an LAV in afghanistan. I think that part of the problem is that I always intend to incorporate these into dioramas, and the time between exectuting one model and the others tends to drag the projects out. My resolution (hope nobody is actually reading this!) is to actually complete several projects this year including (Gulp) the following:

AN M274 Mule in a diorama in 1/16th scale
An IDF UH-60 Shanef (owl)
An Achazarit
A North African Dio featuring the Helios Lokos (Greek SAS)
An Afghanistan Diorama
An IDF M50 Ambiulance (late version)
IDF Batch 3 M51 1967 diorama called ...
IDF Batch 4 Diorama 1973 Diorama called..
A Hindu T-55 diorama
A Spanish Civil war diorama
An IDF MLRS unit

All these have been started with good progress, and are underway, except the Spanish Civil War one.

Colour me active in 2003,

Jack
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
Are your models ever really "finished?" I always keep noodling with mine. At any rate, I think I have just about finished 3. That's about my limit because I keep looking at them, tearing them back down and doing something different.

Just my 3 cents...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are your models ever really "finished?" I always keep noodling with mine. At any rate, I think I have just about finished 3. That's about my limit because I keep looking at them, tearing them back down and doing something different.

Just my 3 cents...

Heh heh - yeah, mine are finished because I put them down and let them be

If I wanted to do something a little differently, I do it on a new model project.

Guess I'm gonna add one more to my list at the beginning of this thread. I got curious about the Eastern Express BRDM-U Command Car again - only this time I cracked it open and starting building it. Now, most of it is assembled and painted on Sunday afternoon - gotta finish it now...

Gunnie
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 04:23 PM UTC
Picked up this hobby in April again, had finished maybe 14 to 15 models so far, 13 to 14 AFVs, and 1 Airplane.... Guess I am kind fast....
clovis899
Visit this Community
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 05:29 PM UTC
I surprised myself by finishing 7 this year. A 1/72 B-36 (at over 3 feet size alone should make this one count for 3 or 4!) an Italeri Afrika Korps Mark IV F1, a Sdkfz 7 halftrack as another AK veteran, an NVA T-34/85, a 1/32 Aluetian campaign P-40, a SAS jep from North Africa, and the one I just finished, a US M-10 from NW Europe that looks like the Beverly Hillbillies on campaign. We still have a few weeks left and I am hoping to crank out the M-3 Stuart Honey from Academy. In fact, I think I will go get started right now!!

Coop
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 05:47 PM UTC
5 1/35th scale figures and 1 1/16th scale figure, can't seem to finish anything before i start something else

Chris Pig no.1
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 07:00 PM UTC
Well, I have finished these:
Steyr 1500A/01
Schwimmwagen
T34/85

Kits started but not finished:
Tiger I
Sturmtiger 38cm
15 cm Sturm-infanteriegeschutz 33
And a couple of buildings for dioramas...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
By the Way Gunnie Great job on the Pershing you might have built more models but quality is way up their. Nice changes to website also.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
Ok - here goes. I went back and looked through my documentation :-[] on what I did this year - Ehh not to bad.
I finished:
Monogram's Classic TBF Avenger in February
Tamiya's Panzer II w/ figures and base in March
Tamiya's M48A3 w/ base in April
Italeri's C119g w/ diorama in June
Tamiya's M3A2 Half Track w/ figures in October

I finished a small 2 figure vingettte somewhere in there too.

I will finish the Campaign Dio

So that will be 7 projects (related to Armorama) finished by year end. I also have Tamiya's M5 almost done, with any luck and an early completion of my Campaign dio I may bust it out by year end.

So to top it all off I have these NON-Armorama models to build this year
My son had to build 4 models of Tom Sawyer items - we built a chest of money, the church Tom hid in, the school he went to, and the cave he ended up in with Injun Joe.
Another project I helped with was a Newton Scooter, a rubber band powered car. Made from boxes and balsa and an old rubber band assembly from a plane.
I am also working on a 1/9 scale boat for a christmas present for my dad - its a lightning class sailboat all out of wood. Pretty cool to work in a different media.

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC
Well, I'm sorry to say:

Three completed so far.
Two very close to being completed. (One in a couple of weeks?)
One STILL waiting for missing parts to arrive. (ya-right, that'll happen.)

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 323 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC
as for my two cents, I have finished a hasagawa Bf-109 g6, a brit mosquito, and a P-38, as far a armor, i started a tamiya Panther OOB, but it has been intrupted by what i have discovered on this site, which caused me to start up a tamiya walker bulldog my son bought for me as an "extra-detail" experiment lol and it certainly has been entertaining, hoping to paint in the next week or so and get on to finishing my panther.
this site is great. I have been inspired to do better work time and again from what I have seen of kits and ideas passed around on this site.

Bender
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
I just finished my Leopard-2A5 and will complete a Trumpeter M1A1-H today. With a M-26 Pershing being started in about 5 days. And If that one does nopt take too long I MIGHT be able to knock off an M2A2 before the year ends. So if that goes accordingly, THEN I should end up with 16 ?? for the year ??

DAGGER-1
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By the Way Gunnie Great job on the Pershing you might have built more models but quality is way up their. Nice changes to website also.

Thanks Jeff!

That is something I've never learned how to do comfortably - just sit down and build a model. But, I have been getting better and better at it over the last couple of years. My Eastern Express BRDM-U Command Car is the first time I've decided to build the model without a reference book in one hand. The Eastern European kits call for some good old fashioned model building skill - way more than a contemporary Tamiya kit. It's really satisifying to just get three pieces together successfully. I'm just gonna use my knowledge of Soviet AFV's and modeling skills to get the model together without books all over the place. It's already moving faster along than other models I've begun...

Gunnie
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 06:39 AM UTC
I am a really slow builder (but I am a lightening fast buyer on the other hand).

So far I've finished:
Tamiya SU-122
Tamiya StuG IV

I hope to have done by years end:
AER T-38
Italeri M4A1 Sherman
2 Tamiya Panzer II Ausf. F/Gs
Tamiya SdKfz 251/1 Ausf. C

Next year, my resolution is to complete at least 6 kits, but hopefully more. I want to finish whatever I started this year as well as a DML Nashorn, Zvezda BT-5, Cromwell Panzer II Ausf. A, ICM T-28, ICM T-35, and Alan Grille M.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 06:51 AM UTC
Two.

Pz. IIIJ. A very muddy, weathered finish. Nice DML kit, but I could have done better. Am actually thinking about re-painting it (not happy with my shade of Panzer Grey).

M4 Sherman. Took forever with PE, resin, figures, stowage and base. Happy with it and took a first place with it in competition, so I can't complain too much!

Am in the building stages on about five other models. Have no idea when they will be completed or in what order.

Am planning an IDF dio with an M60 I've started. Waiting for some aftermarket for the kit. Will be a street scene with tank crew and four or five troops on the ground. Still getting the research material together.

Steve