_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Alternative to RTV?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
I read a feature article here where one could make copies of bags, etc. by using the glue gun. My question is: what material for the mold can I use for this method of making casts besides RTV? Could plaster be a suitable material mold for the glue gun casts?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
Since plaster is a 'cold' pour (unlike resin which creates heat) I would think the glue gun trick would be fine for plaster.
One thing to be careful of is that plaster if fairly brittle and if you have a complex undercurve or fold or something it might be hard to get the piece out of the mold.

I use scenic woodland latex rubber for plaster molds. It runs $8 us for a jar that looks to be big enought to last for ever! I know that MicroMarc on line has latex also.

I say give it a try.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi,

I use the Glue Gun methode.

I only use RVT on big pieces, but for small ones like bags, ammo pouches and little ammo boxes I always use LATEX rubber with bandage for strenght.

If you want to see how the glue gun methode works dan folow this link Glue gun molding, wich you can find on my website.

#:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC
Another good tip Ronny. I never thought of that. One never can have enough backpacks and things for hanging on vehicles. Cheers!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC
Ronny,
Interesting tip, and I'll give it a try. I'm not sure this is harmless to the mold, though. I suspect the chemicals and termperature of the glue may deteriorate the quality of the mold after only a few casts.

Question : I'm intrigued about those castle molds. What art they ? Whatt brand ? where did you find those ???

Thanks, Jan
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

I have casted about 40-50 backpacks this way and I still have the originel latex mold, and even that mold is 15 years old, no problems found :-)

About that castle mold, I wish I could tell you more, this mold was bought by my father when we lived in El Paso, USA in 1975, so I don't have the brand name, but I don't think you can find it in this quality anymore, I have builded several castles wit these 12 (!!!) molds and have recently given them to my oldest son and he can't stop building :-)

Sorry
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 08:45 AM UTC
Those castle molds look as if they could be Linka, a system for making buildings for model railways by casting sections in plaster. Not sure they're made any more, I've not see or heard of them for some time. Had two or three brickwork molds some time ago, to 00 gauge(1/76 scale). All I ever seemed to use them for was to produce rubble.
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
Fantastic!! I'm going to get my glue gun and try it. Question? Do you need any release agent on the mold? This is glue. I guess I'll find out soon.Thanks,JOCK
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 02:51 AM UTC
No it pops right out without any problems, but be careful the glue is HOT, found out the hard way
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:13 PM UTC
Neat idea. Got me thinking, would it be possible to use silicon sealant (the type you use to seal around the bath, that comes in a cartridge) as a mold? I'll have to give it a try.
Mal
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 10:40 PM UTC
No,

Silicon sealant won't work, it is not liquid enough and it will stay in a rubbery state, the glue is also not rock hard but will het harder then the silicone

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:19 AM UTC
No, I was thinking of using the sealant as the mold, not the casting medium. Just a thought. It probably wont work with hot glue but it might with say, plaster.
Like I say I'll give it a try.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, I was thinking of using the sealant as the mold, not the casting medium. Just a thought. It probably wont work with hot glue but it might with say, plaster.
Like I say I'll give it a try.
Mal

Started experimenting today, actually looks quite promising. I'll keep you informed
Mal :-)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:36 PM UTC
Holdfast - dying to hear about this development.... ok - I'll subscribe to this post to see what you have discovered in your experiment! Keep us posted!!!!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC
Yeah Holfast,

Let us know, and if possible show a few pictures
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
Getting there, it's become a bit more involved but i've made some progress. I had a go at making 2 part molds and although I got quite good detail It wont work because the mold halves tend to distort. However It looks very promising for things like burgans, rucksacks and anything that you don't need to see both sides of. I'm held up at the moment because I've ran out of Silicon sealant (I've been using some left over stuff) and I don't have any glue sticks for my hot glue gun (which was the reason for trying this in the first place). But mainly cos I'm out of work and don't have the cash to get what I need (even though I did buy a new model yesterday)ssshh. I've had another idea for a cheapish casting medium, I'll let you know when I've managed to do some more experimenting.
I will also try and post some pics.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
Just a bit of an update on this silcon mold idea. Basically it will work with hot glue. I aws dying to try it so I pluged in the glue gun, there's always some left in. Although there wasn't enough to get a full cast it did prove that it will work, and the detail aint bad either, I even got quite an undercut. If it works this well with hot glue it should work like a dream with my other idea. Not saying what it is yet and its a bit more costly than hot glue sticks, so with me being out of work I certainly wont be trying it until after Christmas.
Try this for the hot glue approach:
1. Squeeze out a blob of silicon sealant.
2. Put some light oil (3 in one) on your finger or a tool of your choice and squash the blob flat but thick enough to contain you master.
3. Attach a handle to your master. drill a hole insert a cocktail stick, or a blob of blue tack, or similar. If you don't you will distort the mold as you try and get it out.
4. Oil your master and push it into the silicon. Remove the master.
5. when the silicon has cured, I gave it at least a day. Depending on the amount it could be less. Oil the mold and feed in the hot glue.
6. When it's cool remove your part.
I don't know how many copies you will get. You could use vasaline for the mold release agent. Try it I think you will be surprised what is possible with this method. Biggest problem might be air bubbles.
Mal
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:06 PM UTC
When I came up with the idea, I was just playing around in the garage. I used silicone RTV (the type used to make auto gaskets) and squeezed a bunch into a beer bottle cap. I used good old spit as a release agent, and pushed the part into the mold. I let it sit overnight and pulled it out . I fired up the glue gun and gave it a try with pretty good results. You might want to try using different types of glue sticks, as some melt at lower temps than others, some are sticky, etc....

Hope this helps

John
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 08:12 AM UTC
:-) Nice one John anybody else had a go? Gasket RTV may be better than silicon sealant, plastacine, Play Doh or even Blue Tack might work. I did try squeezing the silicon into a container, a part of a tube, but it didn't cure. The beer bottle tops are a great idea.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The beer bottle tops are a great idea.

hehehe Yeah, I always seem to have many sitting around......maybe that's why I never get my models finished.

John
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 02:22 PM UTC
You could try modeling clay too. I dont know if it will work but who knows. :-) :-)
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hey all,

I tried the play doh idea and it seems to be to soft to keep the shape of the part. It holds the detail great though. Another thing is that the glue tands to dry too fast with the play doh. I still have to try the modeling clay. I will let you know of any developments. :-)
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:36 PM UTC
Hey,

The modeling clay seems to work great. But you have to be carefull because the clay is soft and you can damage the mold very ez. The detail seems to be good to. One more thing, the clay sticks to the hot glue so you have to wash the glue off of the casting.
I will see if I can come up with any thing else that works.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 04:24 PM UTC
The key to using modeling clay is that after you have impressed the master into the clay, you need to then put it in the FREEZER for about an hour... then the clay will temporarily harden, allowing you to pull the master out without deforming the impression! Works great with plaster, but have never tried anything hot like glue gun or resin (which generates heat).
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hmmmmm........

CHEAP........

REUSEABLE.........

I like this idea.......

Matt