_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Overcoming a Slump
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm kinda new to the forums so I hope I'm not repeating a topic but I would really appreciate some input. I've gotten myself into a bit of a slump when it comes building.

I'm having trouble getting motivated to work on my current project - a Tamiya King Tiger I'm wanting to include in my first attempt at a diorama. It's been weeks now since I've done anything to it.

Has this happened to you? What have you done to overcome the doldrums?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:12 PM UTC
Normally I knock out a quick OOB built to get me into the swing of things.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:16 PM UTC
Scott, been there, as have many of us.
One thing that worked for me was to just hang on site and keep looking at other's works. Read the threads and just take your time. Sometimes it's best to just sit back and relax. Maybe even (perish the thought) step away from the hobby altogether for a bit.
With winter coming on, you'll find yourself cutting another piece off the sprue, or gluing another on the model.
Perhaps, instead of working on the Tiger, why not try to do some work on the base? Draw out a plan for the dio. What kind of a scene are you going for? Look around the site to see if one similar has been done where you can grab some inspiration.
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 881 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:52 PM UTC
all of the above also and ive started painting the odd fig here and there its relaxing and dont require much effort and also i keep a few quickies about like atgs and such just to blast through and before i know it my mind starts drifting back to the "big" project, best of luck and welcome to armorama im a newish member myself but i lurked around a few months before i joined and when i couldnt be bothered to build i liked reading up on new techniques to try.

ron g.
noublie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 03:53 PM UTC
Once it becomes a chore, I put it aside for a while. Build a 1/76 airfix AFV or something OOB.

Whenever I buy a kit, I also try and buy something quick and easy (and doesn't take up much shelf space). 1/72 or 1/144 armor, 1/144 a/c, always OOB or extremely minor scratch...something I can do in a week to refocus. Usually, after that, things get done in a flurry of activity.

Bottom line - I don't force myself. It's a hobby, not a job.
Glenn330
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 04:34 PM UTC
Life happens. Between work, the kids, the firehouse, etc. there isn't always time. I do what I can when I have some quiet time alone. That isn't that often so I do what I can.
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 05:01 PM UTC
Scott,
you need to remember that its not the end of the world if you don't do some modelling!
I model as a hobby so, if I don't feel like it then I don't. Thats what hobbies are all about, some time out doing something that you like to do. Sure have been in some slumps, sometimes for months but eventually get back into it.

Cheers
Lee

Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 07:43 PM UTC
Happens to me at least once a year. I call it modeler's block. You'll get over it, not to worry.
Right now, I'm in that state mainly because I still haven't unpacked my models from my move a while ago. (Also the window in my model room won't quite close, it's cold in there!).
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hehe I know the problem, more half-finished projects than finished projects :-)

Campaigns motivate me to finish projects, maybe you can join a campaign as well to try? (but be carefull, before you know you join too much lol)

Martin
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:16 PM UTC
Try building something different to what you would usually build.

A few months ago i had the same problem, but when i was in a model shop i spotted a couple of kits i would have never usually given a second glance to.

The first was the trumpeter 1/144 US amtrac and the second the batman begins batmobile from bandai.

Built both really quick and OOB.

powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:41 PM UTC
I have many self made slumps often. This is due to my low tolerance of super glue. If I use it alot while applying alot of PE to a kit I end up feeling like I have the flu. I then need to stay away from it for awhile to recover. While I do get fustrated at not being able to continue work on a project I usually just persue another hobby....photography. This helps me get outside in the clean air.

Keeping up to date on the armorama happenings and forums, and my regular model magazine purchases soon give me that itch to get back to work again.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
I'm going through a slump myself, of course, I think mine is more drug enduced with all the pain pills that I have to take. Here's what happened the last time someone tried talking me into starting a new model.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/61495&page=1

:-) :-) :-)
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hey Scott:

I just got myself out of a slump. I like doing german AFV bur altely got a little bored. So I did somehting different. I modelled a PAK 35/36 by DML. What a great kit.

Recommend a small kit to help you out of the modelling "ditch" your in.

Best of luck
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
Buy a cheapo model that is NOT in your usual interest ( a 1/144 gundam is perfect fot this) and just knock it out. I find it charges the batteries and that's how I found out how much fun they are.
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 05:51 AM UTC
Actually it’s going to be more of a vignette than a diorama. Since it’s my first attempt at doing anything of the type I’m planning on keeping it fairly simple – the tank, a couple of figures, a tree or two and the groundwork. I feel a little intimidated by the whole thing (plus a little discouraged because of some frustration with the Aber PE).

Quoted Text

Scott, been there, as have many of us.
One thing that worked for me was to just hang on site and keep looking at other's works. Read the threads and just take your time. Sometimes it's best to just sit back and relax. Maybe even (perish the thought) step away from the hobby altogether for a bit.
With winter coming on, you'll find yourself cutting another piece off the sprue, or gluing another on the model.
Perhaps, instead of working on the Tiger, why not try to do some work on the base? Draw out a plan for the dio. What kind of a scene are you going for? Look around the site to see if one similar has been done where you can grab some inspiration.

_GOTOTOP