_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Workbench lighting
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 970 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 05:33 AM UTC
Can anyone recommend a good angle-poise type lamp for clamping to a workbench please? I'm looking to clamp one at each end of my workspace to illuminate what I'm building. Ideally they shouldn't be too expensive either! Also, what type of bulbs would be best for painting under, to get decent colour reproduction? Daylight is usually all gone here by the time I get home from work now...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 05:37 AM UTC
I use the "daylight" bulbs (GE Reveal brand) or similar..... they do show the colors alot better!!!
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
Thanks Matt, that's got me halfway there. Just need some lamps to put them in now!
Cbl12886
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 06:53 AM UTC
I am not sure if this is what others would recommend but this is what I was thinking of getting to go along with my small desk lamp.

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/supplies_folder/lights_magnifiers/Lights_Magnifers.html

Hands Free Magnifier Lamp
$ 49.95
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
That's the sort of thing I'm looking for, but I don't really want a magnifier. Thanks for the link
Cbl12886
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 07:48 AM UTC
I mainly do figures so that is why I picked that model. Recently I went to Michaels, the craft store, and they had ones like this but without the magnifying glass and they were like $100 which is way too expensive for me and probably you too.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 08:05 AM UTC
Any brand should do. I have no idea what brand my lamps are. At least one came from a yard sale. You should be able to get one at an ofice supply store under $20. I wouldn't bother withthe magnifier. I have one and almost never use it. Tap it even lightly and the swing arm moves and you have to wait for it to settle to be able to see anything. If you need magnification, go with an optivisor.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
Thanks for all the tips folks - think I'll just go for the cheapest clamp lights I can find and spend a bit extra on the daylight bulbs. Cheers
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
I have that exact model of magnifier light (8X) and is my best friend on my bench.Got it at Michaels about 5 years ago for $19.A little weird/'new' at first but got used to it easily enough.I use both incandescent bulbs(magnifier) and fluoro(bench overhead).I always try to 'review' the painting progress in natural sunlight but realize it will be eternally displayed indoors under the usual light sources.
cheers!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
Let me impart my recommendation. I use a very similar clamp-lamp, but it uses both an incandescent and a fluorescent lamp. The 100watt incandescent bulb is encircled by a 22watt fluorescent.
I too use the "Reveal" bulbs. With the two types of lighting mixed, you achieve a much better result on your desk.

Cbl12886
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
http://www.business-supply.com/office_supplies_2014813_lorell-swing-arm-clamp-desk-lamps.html
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 03:07 PM UTC
Ripster,

Just my 2pence. I've gone through a couple of cheap lamps (U$ 20). The weak point is the clamp. Some just have a post and socket arraingement. There is nothing to hold the post to the socket and they can often come apart, with disastrous (sp?) results.

The other spot is the clamp itself. Some times it's just a loose bar on a threaded rod with a plastic thumb nut to hold it tight to the desk. Not a very secure closure, something that looks like a "C" clamp is best.

Finally, check your bench to be sure that there is enough overhang to get a secure grip.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 03:41 PM UTC
Oh,very true.The base/clamp doesn't have a long lifespan.When it shows signs of cracking and such,I drilled a hole in my bench top corner that was large enough to take the lamp stem.Works like a champ.
cheers
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:30 PM UTC
Well my 'workbench' at present is the dining room table, don't think SWMBO would take too kindly to me drilling holes in it... lol

http://www.business-supply.com/office_supplies_2014813_lorell-swing-arm-clamp-desk-lamps.html

How on earth do you blokes in the States get stuff so cheap? A lamp like that would cost loads more over here - genuine Anglepoise lamps START at about £75!
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:29 PM UTC
Daylight bulbs - Yes. But get the low wattage eco bulbs, not the blue coated regular looking bulbs. The blue ones, even tho "daylight" get very very hot and still have a tungsten cast to them. The low wattage ones remain cooler to touch, and match daylight better (photography can reveal a lot!)

My lamps are simply cheap Ikea ones
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC
That link for the Staples lamp is what I am running as well....I think here in Canada they run about $13....same style of lamp at IKEA you can find on sale for like $9.99....mind you they are a regular incandecent bulb.....but I have 3 of them, as well as a small spot light on my desk and I can light up any part of my work/photography area with no problems at all.

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies. Finally found the sort of thing I was looking for at a Focus DIY shed. Good heavy base, takes a standard BC bulb, and has a magnifier to boot. Cost £24.99, still a bit more than I wanted to pay, but seems to fit the bill nicely

BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 327 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 09:31 AM UTC
Quick note - learned the hard way ! You can spend alot on fancy lighting (I did ) but if your model is to be viewed under flourescent lighting you will get a color shift usually it will lok ral green /blue. Consider where it will be viewed - consider the vast majority of competions/contests will be in a large venue with Flourescent /Sodium Vapor lighting!
 _GOTOTOP