_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How to do maintenance on a paint brush ....
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
I recently bought an expensive pointed brush to do some fine detail painting...but after using it only 2 times, the brush starts to "open up" and lose it pointed edge

I was using acrylic vallejo paint so I assume that water is sufficient to clean it. It did not work very well. The I somehow got this crazy ideal and start to clean it using industry thinner but it did not help...after 2 more attempt...the brush "open up" This is an expensive lesson for me....

I am thinking of buying a Newton and Winsor series 7 brush for some detail painting.... but I want to be sure that I wont damage it again...

Any of you guys out there faced similar situation before ?

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:29 PM UTC
maybe You should thin your paint and dip your brush a little less in your paint. only have a small amount and whip the excess paint on a cloth. Too much paint on your brush will make it overload and dry in the top part of it and make hte bristle split.

maybe your not using hte right type of brush for your paint, but that im not sure of. Some more experienced modelers around here could correct that.

Also try cleaning your brush with rubbing alcohol also, it cleans a lot better i find

Francois
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
water alone is not sufficient to keep your brush spotlessly clean. You would have dip it in thinner to give it a proper wash. Never rest a brush in a glass jar resting on its tips as they would wreck the brush hairs as well.

Ive used lacquer thinner to clean the brush as well and it worked like a charm.

Its not a complete waste if your brush open up. It would be pretty good for dry brushing purposes.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
Try to avoid overloading the brush with paint. You dont want to allow paint to dry deep into the end where the bristles are crimped..
Never rest your brush on the bottom of the jar of cleaner.. Dip the brush and roll it against the side of the jar, then wipe any remaining thinners or paint on a towel. When you are done with your brush, wash it with soap and water. If its a natural haired brush, use a bit of conditioner on it once in awhile. After washing the brush, reshape the point and store the brush with the bristles up. You might even consider picking up some brush conditioner from an art supply store...Hope this helps

Dave
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When you are done with your brush, wash it with soap and water. If its a natural haired brush, use a bit of conditioner on it once in awhile. After washing the brush, reshape the point and store the brush with the bristles up. You might even consider picking up some brush conditioner from an art supply store...Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions.....Using conditioner sounds like a good ideal....

What type of soap would you recommend ? Can I use the normal liquid soap for shower ?

Are there a special technique to reshape the brush...I would imagein using my forefinger and thumb to do that....

pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another good trick I learnt from SWMBO's father, dont try to "break up" or soften the brush when you use it, dip it while it's still "hard" It will soften naturally, so you won't be bending any bristles out of place, allowing the brush to keep its shape longer. I GUARANTEE this works, as some of SWMBO's father's calligraphy brushes are the ones he used in JUNIOR HIGHSCHOOL!!!!!!
Cheers Rodders

Hi Rodders...what does SWMBO means ?
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:30 PM UTC
SWMBO = she who must be obeyed

reb
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What type of soap would you recommend ?

I use a "normal" liquid hand soap that SWMBO buys...

Quoted Text

Are there a special technique to reshape the brush...

I bring the brush back to a fine tip using my tongue and lips....

A further point on applying the conditioner.... remember to rinse your brush before using it again....

HTH

Rudi
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I use a "normal" liquid hand soap that SWMBO buys...

I bring the brush back to a fine tip using my tongue and lips....

A further point on applying the conditioner.... remember to rinse your brush before using it again....

HTH

Rudi

Thanks for the info on the soap and conditioner....

goodness me, but I think it is a health risk if you reshape your brush using your tongue and lips in the long run....
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:18 PM UTC
Only if you haven't cleaned the brush properly... and trust me, you learn very quickly to clean it properly and rinse all the soap out.... :-) :-) :-) :-)
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

After cleaning the brush with adequate thinner I wash them with hair shampoo. You'll see how soft they are then
Braystaff
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
I've started to use Vallejo Brush Cleaner and then Brush Restorer to keep all my brushes in tip-top form and it works!! Before then it was just clean soapy water and care not to overload with paint (never use your brush to stir paint and never dip it in the paint pot!)

I've the most gorgeous sable '000' brush that SWMBO bought me in 1997 from a high class artshop (it was £15!) when I used to work for GW and even today (approx 400 figuers later) it's still my work-horse for detail
fitzgibbon505
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:25 AM UTC
I use "The Master's Brush Cleaner," a solid cake of cleaner and conditioner in a round container. Simply wet the brush and work the cleaner into it. Let it sit for a little while if necessary, and work it through the bristles, then rinse. A few repeats of this will remove even the most stubborn paint up next to the ferrule. When the brush is clean, apply some more cleaner and wipe most of it out, shape the bristles and store them point up. (I use a brush box to protect my best brushes even more.)

Jim
 _GOTOTOP