_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Humvee Side mirrors
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Need a little advise on how i can scratch build the side mirrors for the M966 side mirrors for the Academy version. The kits came with the old style side mirrors and im hoping to convery them into the new type of side mirrors.

I figured i could use a copper wire and bend it to get the frame but what would you use for the mirror? Im also guessing the copper wires are just the ones you rip out of the hi fi set wires?

If you know of any alternatives for the frame, please do share as well.

Thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:43 AM UTC
I have converted a bunch of the older style mirrors on the italeri HMMWVs, same as on the Acdemy ones. I bend a piece of wire for the frame as you stated. I remove the mounting arm from the old mirror so you are left with just the rectangular mirror. Next, cut a couple small pieces of thin plastic rod, 0.020 works well. Cut one end of the rod at about a 30 degree angle and glue them onto the mirror back so you have a piece of rod sticking out the top and bottom of the mirror. Next, glue the ends of the rod onto the frame.

Here are a couple of examples:

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bend a piece of wire for the frame as you stated. I remove the mounting arm from the old mirror so you are left with just the rectangular mirror. Next, cut a couple small pieces of thin plastic rod, 0.020 works well. Cut one end of the rod at about a 30 degree angle and glue them onto the mirror back so you have a piece of rod sticking out the top and bottom of the mirror. Next, glue the ends of the rod onto the frame.

Thats fantastic examples there Gino.

I guess using the loose ends of the sprues could double up as these thin plastic rods as you mentioned.

Looks like you used some form of glue / putty to stick the copper wires to the chasis?

Helpful as usual!

Thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like you used some form of glue / putty to stick the copper wires to the chasis?

They are attached with superglue. The white you see there are a couple pieces of sheet plastic to make the mounts on the window frames where they attach.

Might want to try stretched sprue. Regular pieces of sprue would be too big.
 _GOTOTOP