_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Here is one way to find more time to model
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
Break your foot. Yeah, I did that this morning playing hockey. It looks like I am going to be out of commission for a while so I guess I will be able to spend more time building models. You know, I have been so busy at work that I haven't had a chance to take any real time off this year. I guess things do happen for a reason #:-). Well got to go elevate my foot again. It is starting to hurst like son of a gun again.
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
I found the same technique 2 years ago.Though I didn't break my foot,I ripped out my ACL. I did have alot of time for modelling and such but to this day,I still get the laughter from the story I'm about to tell.
While repairing a broken septic pipe,I had left a vital part up on top of the bank. Upon climbing out and retrieving the part I decided I could leap over the hole and climb down the ladder.As I struck the other side,it gave way and cast me into the abyss.Normally bad enough,but,I had taken the lid off the septic tank!!!Striking the side of the tank,I folded my leg sideways.Now before you say EWWWWW too loud,the good news is,I didn't fall directly into the tank.That was the good news,the bad was,I fell STRADLING the tank side(Stop flinching...it only hurt for 3 days.The knee took 1 year to fix).All of this and I forgot my radio up on top of the bank.After the drag to and then up the ladder,around the hole, andto my radio,I had to call for help.Now,I don't know about you guys but,when your in that much pain,someones laughing just doesn't sit well,YA KNOW? The End Didn't justify the means and ,yes,the modelling was fun,I will always remember that day as BAD!!!!!!!
And the comments I get when I tell the story.....
That's a Crappy Thing to do
At least you didn't need clean draws...who would know
Guess you really stepped in sh%$
And many more.
Now ,I just say it was a freek Chess injury
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:45 PM UTC
Or, destroy your computer! :-) My computer went busted before and the time I used for internet and games I used to build my models!
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC
I'm sorry Jackhammer and Marty But I think I would appreciate just alittle less painful way of increasing my modelling time. :-)

Josh weingarten
aKa shiryon
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:47 AM UTC
I tore a muscle in my shoulder a few years ago. Found time for several hobbies.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hello all,

after 1 year of modeling I finally found the best way to make time for the hobby.

2 years ago Lucent went belly up.

the company I work for made sheet metal for Lucent.

Lucent was 75 % of the sales....

After 2 years of layoffs they cut 2nd shift and I got the ol Heave - Ho

Been collecting unemployeement for 1 month now.. got 5 months left.

Can't find a job that will pay me more than my weekly unemployeement.

So the Big Question is.. go get a job soon and work 40 hours a week. or

stay on the gov payroll for a few more months and just work on me models... ??

What would you do..

Delbert
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
Unemployment is supposed to be a giant buffer or shock absorber for the economy. They give you five or six months of unemployment to give you time to find a job similar to the one you were laid off of. I wouldn't settle for a MacDonalds job any more than you would. I am currently a student, but before that I was a mechanic, and a damned good one. If I had been laid off, I would never have settled for anything less than $18 an hour. I worked very hard to obtain the skills and tools necessary to be able to demand that kind of pay. That is why I would not settle for less. If your unemployment pays more than some minimum wage job, then use it. That is what it is there for.

I work on the side to help support myself through college, and since I have no one to answer to but the customer, I can charge $30-45 dollars an hour depending on what I do. Even with that high rate, I am still cheaper than a shop, and I have ero overhead but the gas. Entrepenuership can also be a good thing. Just one more thing to consider.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP