TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Just watched "Jarhead" and...
WindSword70
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
Sounds like a movie that I would regret spending the money on to see it at a theater--but I will spend a couple of dollars to rent it when it comes out on DVD.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
I saw the movie less than a month after I returned from Iraq and in my honest opinion I liked it a lot. I dont like Jarheads in general(sorry Marines) but I think this was an accurate representation of what goes on throughout the enlisted ranks in a combat unit. Granted, I wasnt in the service during ODS but I have done my share of hurrying up and waiting. Would I have liked to see more action in it? Yeah sure, what guy wouldnt? But after the twist at the end with the war over I wouldnt change the movie at all. The guy that had the video tape of his wife cheating on him, I had 5 guys in my platoon alone that thier wives were cheating on them and they got divorced. I know what its like and I think the movie did a great job of portraying the hype of going into combat only to find theres nothing left for you to fight.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 08:47 AM UTC
Finally got to see a DVD of this last, and I thought it was excellent. However, I think the book's much better. But being an ex-soldier, I thought it was a superb depiction of what modern soldiers (or marines) are like. This isn't the best war movie I've seen, but the book's one of the best war books I've ever read.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't care for it either. Not so much for the lack of action, but for the storyline as a whole. I felt they were trying to make a Desert Storm version of Full Metal Jacket. In addition, I felt there was far too much emphasis on the screwing around that goes on while the soldier is away from home (Yes, it happens and a lot, but there's more they could have focused on.) and it made Marines look like psychopaths. Granted, they are high strung, but not psychos.

Just my two bits worth.

I agree. I have a cousin who's currently serving in the Corps. He's not that type of Marine.

It seems that this movie shows the human side of the Marines in ODS, the issues they're all coping with rather than protraying them kicking butts and taking names.
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 624 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC
I had read the book before I saw the movie and I thought they were both very good, although that could just be because I read the book
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
I just saw the movie and I took it as it was.. It didn't seem to be an action movie or really that much of a drama. Too me it was a cynical look from one man's viewpoint of the war.

From the way the movie started the main character had a hard time coping with life and joined the marines. Where he seemed to have a hard time coping with being in the marines untill he found "his niche". Then sent off to war where he had to spend a long long time dealing with the stress in getting ready for the war.. I do not think they are trying to make the marines look like pyscho's. Just showing the strain can get to anyone no matter how tough they are.. in the end he returns home and makes a life for himself.....

all in all the movie was based on a book written by a man who was there and just wanted people to know what he personally went through.. as many have said before....... "war is hell"

BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC
I thought Jarhead was quite a fresh war film and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that those who are looking for that "marines kick ass" movie had best keep to the straight-to-DVD pulp action section because the reality of this movie was that in the gulf war the infantry had such a tiny part in the battle that the ironic thing about the war was it was boring!!

I am sure the latest Iraq situation will inspire a movie soon enough with more action, I am surprised nothing has come out already! OIF has much more infantry-based material to work with...plus the British have material too and we've been known to chip out a film or too

That British battle in that sandstorm early in the war would make a great scene ! I still have the newspaper with that amazing picture of the MG position in this cloud of red, the iraqi casualties were listed as 500, it must have been a hell of a fire fight.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 03:38 AM UTC
Spanner in the works :-) i loved it

redleg
aaronpegram
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found this movie to be very negative and disturbing and in some parts outright boring

Well isnt that exactly what it tries to do? Its not pretending to be an action movie about the first Gulf War, but to really illustrate that war is 98% boredom and 2% action. In this case, i think the movie illustrates quite clearly the frustration of not being able to engage the enemy after spending so much time learning how to hate them and kill them. Personally, I think it was really like 'Full Metal Jacket' if you look behind the fascade as it being an action movie.

I think if you are after action in Iraq, perhaps 'Over there' might be more palatable for you. Although its not the same engagement, it might be what you're after.

A.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 08:12 AM UTC
Finally saw this a few months ago. To be honest, I found myself bored. It was a good movie in many ways, but maybe I am burnt out on much of this stuff.

It's getting harder and harder to distinguish between fiction, fact, entertainment, news or anything else anymore...

Steve
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
I watched it on the 4th July....it was pretty accurate, though the "branding" scenes where a bit far fetched in my mind (though I read it was dream squeance...sure as hell could have fooled me)...but other all I wasn't sure what to think of the movie..it was just ok, nothing specitature or thought provoking
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 911 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 03:51 PM UTC
I haven't seen the film or read the book, but another forum I frequent has a member who was a Marine in the authors unit. According to him the book and film are 90% BS - a mixture of USMC folklore which the author takes for himself and stuff which is just flat out made up.

He and those who served with him aren't very impressed with Mr Swofford.
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
I dont know, it was ok, but it seemed to mimic "Full Metal Jacket" if you ask me. Having a great deal of friends who were over there, the boredom part I can understand. Out of 10 or 11 guys I know (most who were 82nd) the only ones who really saw any significant action were two USMC Tankers, so maybe from that viewpoint he was on the money (about the boredom I mean).
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 01:31 AM UTC
I agree. I would almost call this movie a case of false advertising. I got to the end and I thought, where's the fighting part? I would not waste my time watching it again.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 07:23 AM UTC
didn't see the movie because I tried to read the book and gave up after a 100 pages. It was boring and the guy was a loser. If I thought the book sucked then I sure was not going to see the movie. The b*tching and griping of a dissatisfied Marine doesn't make for a good book.

Dave, Wallace and Gromet Meet the Wererabit was pretty good.

Tom