_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Storing Models?
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:32 PM UTC
At the much insistance of my SWMBO (My mom .......) and the loss of much space in our house, I have been asked to store my models outside in large plastic tubs in our pole barn. I was wondering, will anything happen to the models as long as they are dry? You see, I'm worried because here in the Hoosier State, we generally get 90 degree to 0 degree (F) temperatures here throughout the year. Also, Indiana has been known to get 70 degrees to 30 in the same day! (My mom, from California, hates it! I say that it makes one tough. :-) ) Well, would the plastic be warped with the temperature changes? I'd hate to have anything happen to them. Thanks for your time.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:41 PM UTC
Id be interessted in figuring this one out also... My kits always made good bb gun tarkets so never stayed shelfed up for long.

The best way i found to minimize the collecting other than victimizing my kits was giving them as a gift to someone. ex, my grandpa loves planes, so i gave him a finished spitfire.

Maybe this could have helped

Francois
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, would the plastic be warped with the temperature changes? I'd hate to have anything happen to them. Thanks for your time.

Direct sunlight can potentially cause the decals to both fade and crack if you havent sealed them properly. If you are not one to seal your model with either clear matt / gloss then hot storage can potentially degrade the look of the paint.

PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:46 PM UTC
I would think if you store them safely in large tuperware containers..kept out of direct sunlight..you should be good to go.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:47 PM UTC
I can't believe you would actually do it! So what is she going to store in bins in the garage?

I don't know about paints and decals but I have a few car models that I built but have not painted sitting in my garage. The plastic seems to have held out. I' m in Michigan so we have about the same weather
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:27 PM UTC
I think it could be wise to drop a pouch of silica gel in each box to absorb any damp or moisture. These are the little white pouches that come in most packages these days.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:33 PM UTC
here in Australia we have high temps but all my models are sealed in airtight plastic containers and do not deteriorate at all. Just keep the sun off them and as a precaution run tape around the sealed edge of your container.

cheers
Cliff
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC
Thanks for all of your help! Oh, I forgot to say this in the beginning, but most of these are unbuilt kits, still in their boxes. Would that change anything? Thanks for your time and help.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
I think the ones in boxes would be that much more protected. Should be no problem.
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
If she told you to remove your plastic.....I would just move out, that is blasphemy !!!!!!!!!!!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:36 PM UTC
With unbuilt kits the only thing that will show age are the decals and directions.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 4,630 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hiya.

I live in Minnesota where temps go from 100-F to -60F on a regular basis (and some days can even run from 80-F to -20F in 24 hrs...holy moly!)

Anyhow, I have had models stored in cardboard boxes in a storage area (a rented space) for about 6 months and had no problems with my kits being damaged. And now that there are plastic totes, I would assume it is even more secure in a pole barn.

However, I recomend sneaking the kits in one at a time, to get them in out of the cold! :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
For years, when I lived in the city, I kept my models stored in a crawl space (a really low attic type thing) above my apartment..... and they were fine, when I moved to the burbs, I stored them in an unheated basement, and all was fine, until the river decided to make my basement an indoor pool....

Now I store them in the closet in a small 2nd floor apartment.... and have run out of room......... :-) :-)
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
If you have opened the kits, I would put at least the decals in a ziploc bag. You can do the same with the instructions.
merty
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
hi, i think getting yourself a new mom, would be the best solution :-)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi, i think getting yourself a new mom, would be the best solution :-)

What the going rate for these ones at the LHS? Are there PE parts that we can add to it?
 _GOTOTOP