_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
list of stuff, paint for the beginner?
Jambone
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 06:47 AM UTC
I keep going to start..i really am...I keep telling myself that

haven't even touched a model since I had a box of Airfix 1/32 Japanese Multipose infantry I just glued and painted and kinda used them as toy solders ( I was 10, I apologize:))

but now.. I have accumulated a stack of figure kits and one piece of armor. I've asked some questions, got some feedback...but what should I do for tools, paints, etc! it seems overwhelming, that and I'm freaking out about ruining a $3.00 Ebay kit:)

so...figureing what I need, what brand of paints does the congregation recommend? There was a Hobbytown USA in the area, but they closed fro some reason, so I'll have to order from mailorder until I can get to OKC and hit a real hobby store.

any help or directions to a link greatly appreciated...I tried google and this site searches but didn't come up with alot.

thanks very much
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC
First off, let me welcome you to the board. There is a ton of information here and some very helpful and very skilled people as well.

When I started about a year ago I already had the basic tools, a couple pair of tweezers, razor knife and some 150 and 240 grit sandpaper. I pretty much built my first model with those tools. As for paint, when I first opened the box, I read the instructions and just ordered the paints that I needed for that one. I did the same for the next several models and have finally accumulated a nice selection. Not complete, but enough to get me through most jobs. Good paint brushes are a must though but they are easy to find at any local arts and crafts store like Michaels.

The brand of paint will elicit a number of opinions from the people here. I use Tamiya and Polly Scale acrylics and Poly Scale enamels. I'm not really thrilled with brush painting of the Tamiya acrylics, but they're easy to find so that's what I go with. For now anyway.

One of the best online stores I've found for tools is Micro Mark (www.micromark.com). They have just about anything you can think of. For paints, they can be found at any of the online hobby sites like Squadron, Great Models, etc.

Good luck!
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Jambone.. I really cant elaborate to much on what Cary has told you.. I am assuming that you will be brush painting for awhile? Dont know if you have an airbrush yet.. Spend some money on some really decent brushes.

As far as paints go, I use a bit of everything from acrylics to oils.. So which ever you like best.. Try a few of each untill you fund which you are more comfortable. Most of all, have fun..

Dave
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC
Definitely start off small if i were you. I managed to get alot of tweezers etc from those $2 shops. I actually used nailcutters to cut my model parts off the sprue. Cutting knives are definitely cheap as well.

The one part of modelling i wouldnt cut down on is the paint and the brushes. Get decent ones. I started off exclusively on paint brushes and produced pretty ok results too.

Buy stuff only when you need them. I am so guilty of buying stuff ahead of time only to find out i dont need it.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 02:34 PM UTC
I did an article entitled "Model Makers Toolbox" a few years ago. It should point you in the right direction.
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 451 Posts
KitMaker Network: 158 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 02:49 PM UTC
as far as tools- i use pointed nail clippers also to cut pieces off sprue - and you might find a cheapie nail file easy to use for sanding away the little bits left on the pieces.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC
Tools have been pretty much covered in Sabot's post. As for paint, a lot of people use Model Master and Tamiya. Besides brand, you will eventually be asking yourself the question:

"Do I want to use Acrylics, Enamels, Oils or a combination of all three"?

I personally use a combination of all three.

The bottom line is have fun. Don't get twisted around the axle about tools, paints, etc. The more you build and paint, the more the choices come naturally.

Welcome aboard the Armorama short bus. :-)
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
We all have our favourite paints and things, but one question is where will you be model-making? If in the house without much ventilation you may want to steer clear of strong solvents. For that reason I almost exclusively use acrylics. The dogs, wife and so on would be offended by using the more spirit based stuff, plus you can clean up mostly using water. If you can get them vallejo acrylics have many supporters (and possibly as many detractors).

Emery boards used for filing nails are also a good cheap thing, particularly if you can get a few different grades. Also a scalpel with easily changed blades. It's best to change fairly often as they do blunt quickly. They work out cheaper than disposable modeling knives over time.

Have fun, I came back to modelling this year and already have complaints about buying kits quicker than building them.

Ross
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Jambone
The one thing that I really recomend is correct lighting.
Get yourself 2 powerful swing arm desk lamps .
Painting in poor lighting conditions is difficult and places strain on your eyes.

Oh and a comfortable chair - you'll find yourself sitiing on your a$%# for protracted periods :-)
Cheers,
Andy.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
Jambone, first thing to do is just relax and build your kits without stressing yourself out. I know, I did the same thing when I built my first one too. Especially after looking around here and seeing the incredible talent that is on this site, there are really true masters in the hobby here. First thing to do is realize, you're a beginner and your work will not look like those who have been doing this for years. It scared me too but that's what I did and just jumped right in, had fun even though my kits are nothing to brag about. The key is FUN!

As for tools, do not throw anything away that might possibly have a use in the future. You'll amass quite a bit of stuff that way, easily and free. lol Hit the dollar stores, there's a ton of great stuff you can buy there. Emory boards in packs of 25 or better, nail clippers, plastic baskets to store stuff in etc etc. The tools will add up quickly and you'll be set.

I'd also recommend getting yourself a couple sets of those plastic drawers to store your paints. They're relatively cheap and do save space, which helps a lot if you're using a small table like I am (folding card table). They also make bigger ones with wheels you can use to put under your table, again a big space saver.

Don't forget though, of all things the importance is to have FUN! Ask questions here, there's plenty of information to be had and everyone here is more than happy to help one another out.
 _GOTOTOP